PDA

View Full Version : The Order of Things....

Fred Perreault
05-29-2011, 8:12 AM
I haven't had much to post about for a while. I set up my new PM 3520b the first week of March, and about the same time my wifes' mom and dad took turns for the worse. Her mom has COPD and she has to drag oxygen around 24/7, and her dad has advancing Alzheimers. We have been pretty busy helping to make some life changing decisions and getting deeply involved in some importatnt activities. They are getting settled in and stabilized now, so things are smoothing out. Life will go on.

As for turning, my first show for the season is a one one day affair at the local Orleans Historical Society. I do very well there. It has taken me longer than I expected to find love for my new 3520b. My former love, a fine performing Nova 1624 has a new life UpCape, but there just was "something" about the new 3520. I learned a great deal on the Nova (and here on SMC), but it was still easy to send the Nova packing. But after that there seemed to be a hole in my heart that prevented me from embracing the 3520. I am over that now that I have sent 50-60 utility items through the variable speed monster. I can only rave about the new lathe now. I consider the Nova a great machine for the money, and I feel that the PM 3520b is also a great machine for the money. I love'em both, but I can only sleep with one at a time.

On another note, I have gone on record as being very dismayed at having to throw used sandpaper away. Well, I have found a solution. I took the many 5 gallon pails and 55 gallon drums of old sandpaper I refuse to discard and add water to the drums and wait awhile. Then I drag out the paper and ladle out the fine sands from the bottom of the barrels. After that I take the sand and a few boxes of baggies and mosey down to Nauset Beach on the ocean. I place some sand in each baggie, and label them "Sand Bagged on Nauset Beach, Orleans Cape Cod". Then, I sell'em all to them city slickers that visit the Cape and want to take back to their concrete cliffs a piece of Cape Cod. Now, that's what I do with old sandpaper :D:):p;):cool: whaddya do with yours?

These pics are horrible, but I just didn't have time to click them all separately given the shortage of time and other issues.... I did do very well at the Sat. show :) :)

John Hart
05-29-2011, 8:28 AM
Fred,
I sympathize with your struggle with your in-laws. It is a difficult time, and they so deserve our attention, as payback for their years of attention to us.

It's interesting about your monogamous relationship with your lathes. I'm sure though...the Nova feels cheated on. You should write her a letter!! :)

Wonderful work by the way. Your pieces are nicely executed and interesting. Well done!!

Oh....sandpaper? Interesting disposal method you have there. I just throw it in a box, and use the 80 as 100, the 100 as 220, the 220 as 400....until they are nothing more than polishing cloths!! :)

Russell Eaton
05-29-2011, 8:42 AM
I can relate as well to the attention needed for parents getting up in age. I live beside my mother-in-law and 3 miles from my parents. It is a responsibility we MUST take very seriously. On to the 3520 vs the Nova. I have 4 lathes in the man cave and use all 4 at different times. Soon I want to move up to your current machine. Good luck with the family issues. By the way those are some awesome new turnings, I like the natural edge Cherry bowl it has a very nice shape. Russell

John Keeton
05-29-2011, 8:43 AM
Fred, the situation with your in-laws is difficult, but just knowing that you all are there for them has to be comforting. My Dad struggled with advanced heart disease while watching my mother slip into dementia with Alzheimer's. I think it was more difficult on him than her, knowing he would not be there to comfort and care for her in the last years. Aside from loosing my parents, watching the dynamics of that was heart wrenching. Many years have passed, but the memories are pretty fresh. I wish the best for your family.

On a brighter note, glad you and the PM have become close - I had similar relational difficulties with the Jet, but we have bonded! It is no wonder you did well at the show. That is some great looking stuff, and I have "stolen" a couple of ideas from you. I love the laminated walnut and curly maple plates! Coincidentally, I have a barn full of that stuff.:)

Forgot to address the sandpaper issue. For whatever reason, I have never hesitated to toss used sandpaper. I will leave it on my bench until done with a turning, but when I clean up - it goes in the trash!

What finish are you using on the plates and bowls - they look really nice.

Jeff Nicol
05-29-2011, 8:58 AM
Fred, I feel your pain with health issues of in-laws, it never gets easier but is part of being a good human and taking care of the last generation is all of our futures. I would not trade it for anything, as many things are learned and shared with them. We all are here to help with anything we can offer, having a big exstended family like SMC is a great thing.

You have made a bunch of nice utility and art pieces for the show, and they all have nice finishes and individual character to them. Your customers will be very pleased and good luck with sales.

Have a great holiday tomorrow,

Jeff

Greg Just
05-29-2011, 9:40 AM
Fred:

Sorry to hear of the health issues of the in laws. It's never gets easy but it is something we have to do. I lost both of my parents to cancer and the most important thing I learned was to make sure they were not in pain. Hang in there - you are doing the right thing.

I love your work and good luck with your sales.

Happy Memorial Day.

Greg

David DeCristoforo
05-29-2011, 9:58 AM
"...that's what I do with old sandpaper whaddya do with yours..."

Every once in a while we run out of toilet paper...

Curt Fuller
05-29-2011, 10:15 AM
Fred, sooner or later we'll all be to the stage of life where we need help. I look at the help I give my mom as a small payback for all the crap I put her through over the years. I'm lucky so far, my mom is 82 and still pretty healthy. But she's losing the mobility battle and I'm in a constant project of rearranging, ramp building, installing hand rails, etc to keep her independent and living in her house. I only hope I can be as tough and determined as she is when and if I get that old.

Your story of the torn love between your old flame and the new women in your life is just another sign of how we age. Can you imagine have those feelings over a machine when you were 30 years old?;) Love comes in many forms, ever changing as we age.

That's a beautiful collection and display of your work. It looks great displayed like that too. As for the sandpaper, I can only wonder how many times I've been ripped as a tourist.:rolleyes:

David E Keller
05-29-2011, 10:27 AM
Congrats on the sales, Fred... Sounds like the show was quite a success.

I think you're problem with moving on to a new lathe has to do with the lathe that you left. My first 'girlfriend' was a Rikon midi without VS, so leaving her for the mustard mistress was quite easy... It was like leaving an ugly girl for a supermodel.

As for my old sandpaper, I'm gonna start sending it to you... You're the only one I know that's found a use for it. I tend to get rid of mine pretty early, so it's probably not soft enough to send to DD.

Fred Perreault
05-29-2011, 12:04 PM
"...that's what I do with old sandpaper whaddya do with yours..."

Every once in a while we run out of toilet paper...

....OUCH !!
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Actually, I was just kinda having fun with my mind over the sandpaper. I usually throw it away now, after the piles of used stuff starts to tumble off of my storage cabinet top, my table saw, my shaper table, my..........., well, you get the picture.

Thanks for all the generous comments. They fed us and changed our diapers, and now it's our turn to help them out.

Steve Schlumpf
05-29-2011, 12:16 PM
Sorry to hear about the challenging times with your folks but the good news is - they are still with you! Make the most of it!

Very nice display of your work! Quite the variety - I can see why they sold quickly! Congrats on your sales!

The president of our turning club saves his worn out wave style sanding disks and when he has 10 or so, staples them together into a pad. He then uses the pad to burn in the rim/foot areas on his bowls. Works well!

Greg Ketell
05-29-2011, 1:11 PM
I'm sorry to hear about your parents! Similar situation over here.

I really hope you are kidding about the sandpaper and lying and cheating visitors to your area.

Jim Burr
05-29-2011, 2:10 PM
I feel for you Fred....I treat COPD'ers on a everyday which is why I yell at everyone here to cover their lungs.
On a happy note though...that is some beautiful work!! Your assimilation to the Mustard monster has paid off well. Very impressive stuff :D:D:cool:

charlie knighton
05-29-2011, 4:47 PM
very nice, Fred, thanks for sharing

Ed Morgano
05-29-2011, 6:35 PM
Fred,
Sorry to hear about your in-laws. My wife and I are getting up there now 69 & 66.... and it's no fun. Some days it's all I can do to get out of bed. Anyway, glad to hear about your PM3520. From everything I hear, it's a great lathe. Your work is beautiful. My favorite is the 14" mixed wood bowl. I just love that. You've given me something to shoot for. Thanks for sharing.

Baxter Smith
05-29-2011, 10:23 PM
Great collection of work Fred!