PDA

View Full Version : Pergola construction question

Dave Aronson
05-28-2011, 11:08 PM
I build this pergola:
http://thumb0.webshots.net/t/77/77/6/35/4/2549635040055264080fmeiyE_th.jpg

http://thumb0.webshots.net/t/76/76/3/55/63/2591355630055264080yAPYzt_th.jpg

http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/photo/2591355630055264080yAPYzt

I have a slight amount of sway if I push hard on the tops of the posts. I build knee braces for each corner that will lag bolt to the post and the header. The bolts going to the post will go through the edge of the 2x8 and the lag bolts connecting it to the header will go through the face of the 2x8 to the header.

I'm thinking if one bolt on the bottom a 3/8" x 5" bolt and two 3/8" x 3" bolts on top. do you think that will be enough or do you think I should put two bolts on the bottom?

The other question I had was do you think I'd be better to bolt the top brace through the edge instead of the face?

Kent A Bathurst
05-29-2011, 8:31 AM
....slight amount of sway if I push hard on the tops of the posts............

Dave - rather than being of any help on your actual question :p:

Does it even matter? You won't be parking your Mini Cooper on top, and I'm going to guess that in normal use you won't be on a ladder pushing against the top.

Of course, as someone with over-design/over-engineer/over-build in my DNA, I can certainly understand the motivation. SWMBO claims that my motto is "if it's worth doing, it's worth over-doing", but even I might just enjoy it the way it is.

Regards

kent

Dave Aronson
05-29-2011, 9:39 AM
Dave - rather than being of any help on your actual question :p:

Does it even matter? You won't be parking your Mini Cooper on top, and I'm going to guess that in normal use you won't be on a ladder pushing against the top.

Of course, as someone with over-design/over-engineer/over-build in my DNA, I can certainly understand the motivation. SWMBO claims that my motto is "if it's worth doing, it's worth over-doing", but even I might just enjoy it the way it is.

Regards

kent

you are probably right that it doesn't matter, but my dad is a civil engineer and I get it from him. This is just the first step in the project, I still have to run electric and build a built in BBQ.

Kent A Bathurst
05-29-2011, 10:30 AM
you are probably right that it doesn't matter, but my dad is a civil engineer and I get it from him.....

So much the better!! Just leave it as it is for the perfect Father's Day present - he'll always have something to point to as "you should have......". The gift that keeps on giving!! :D :D

David Thompson 27577
05-29-2011, 10:31 AM
Sounds to me like you are in great need of diagonal bracing. You need to think in three dimensions -- if the diagonal brace will be bolted (lagged) to the edge of the post, then it can only be lagged to the bottom of the horizontal piece. If, instead, the brace is mortised or lagged to the face of the post, then it can be lagged to the face of the horizontal piece -- which would be much stronger, and probably more attractive.

Dave Aronson
05-29-2011, 10:08 PM
Sounds to me like you are in great need of diagonal bracing. You need to think in three dimensions -- if the diagonal brace will be bolted (lagged) to the edge of the post, then it can only be lagged to the bottom of the horizontal piece. If, instead, the brace is mortised or lagged to the face of the post, then it can be lagged to the face of the horizontal piece -- which would be much stronger, and probably more attractive.

yeah I have the angle braces cut already and ready to attach. basically, just trying to think if one lag bolt on the bottom is enough vs two.

Bill ThompsonNM
05-29-2011, 10:19 PM
Two. More ridgid.
And 'nice work!'

Paul Girouard
05-30-2011, 12:35 PM
Two bolts way better.

Are you going to cut off all the overly longer bolts , flush with the nuts?? It would look better if you did. You've put a lot of effort into it , a bit more cutting back those bolt ends would be nice.

Dave Aronson
05-30-2011, 2:36 PM
Two bolts way better.

Are you going to cut off all the overly longer bolts , flush with the nuts?? It would look better if you did. You've put a lot of effort into it , a bit more cutting back those bolt ends would be nice.

I'm planning on cutting the bolts shorter and painting them black. I'll probably extend 1" past the nuts.