PDA

View Full Version : Advice On New Plane

Brian Triplett
02-08-2005, 8:55 AM
Hi all, I would like your advice on buying a new hand plane. I currently do not own any planes except an old stanely block plane. I am starting to realize how nice it would be to have a couple these in the woodshop. My question is to you is which one? LN is out of my budget, still putting the wife through nursing school. I was thinking about the Veritas but I was wondering if I need to get a lower grade plane to learn on or just go ahead a get a nice one. Also which plane would be a good one to start one, in which I mean which number #4, #4½, #5….? Right now I’m leaning toward the Veritas #4. Thanks for your time.

Jim DeLaney
02-08-2005, 9:03 AM
Hi all, I would like your advice on buying a new hand plane. I currently do not own any planes except an old stanely block plane. I am starting to realize how nice it would be to have a couple these in the woodshop. My question is to you is which one? LN is out of my budget, still putting the wife through nursing school. I was thinking about the Veritas but I was wondering if I need to get a lower grade plane to learn on or just go ahead a get a nice one. Also which plane would be a good one to start one, in which I mean which number #4, #4½, #5….? Right now I’m leaning toward the Veritas #4. Thanks for your time.

Get a good one to start with. It'll save you a lot of frustration during your 'learning curve.'

Get some good sharpening gear, too. Planes don't stay sharp for long, and must be frequently 'touched up.' Sandpaper on glass (Scary Sharp) is probably the cheapest starting point for sharpening.

The Veritas #4 will be a great starter plane. In fact, it'll be all the #4 you'll ever need. (That's <I>NEED</I>. <U>Want</U> will be a whole different story...)

As you add to your collection, I'd suggest a #5 and a #7 as your next two purchases. If you don't already have a block plane, the Veritas is a very nice one, and reasonable priced.

The slope will get slippery once you're hooked on planes. I started with two, and now have quite a few...

Dick Latshaw
02-08-2005, 9:05 AM
I would sugest the Veritas Low Angle Jack as a good all around first plane. Consider getting the high angle iron, too. Or you could make your own wooden body - it's not that difficult and certainly cheaper.

Ed Hardin
02-08-2005, 10:20 AM
The first I bought was the low angle jack from Lee Valley. Works as advertised and am pleased. That was before I really started to learn about these things. I picked up a 102 Lie-Nielson block plane before Christmas and am in love. The little LV apron plane is really nice too and won't break the bank. More and More I'm using hand tools.

Tyler Howell
02-08-2005, 10:57 AM
"Jack" in LV LA Jack stands for Jack of all planes. It does many things very well. I have to say it is one of my favorites.

Another plug for rust hunting. There is a lot of old iron out there neglected and forgotten just waiting for the right Galoot to come along at a very reasonable price.
I learned more about the craft trying to breath new life into those old war horses, than all the books and class room time combined.
Enjoy

Pam Niedermayer
02-09-2005, 5:19 PM
For the first plane for a beginner I recommend a low angle jack, either LN or LV. These planes are extremely versitile (is that redundant?) and work as advertised. It may not be your goto plane forever, but it will always be useful.

Pam

Roy Wall
02-09-2005, 7:21 PM
The slope will get slippery once you're hooked on planes. I started with two, and now have quite a few...
I'd say you're very accurate with that statement, Jim:D

All above is great advice......but you will get hooked on hand planes!!

A low angle block plane is a very popular "first plane".....the the new LA Jack's (LV or LN) have made an big impact in the last few years of hand work....

Don Martindale
02-10-2005, 5:24 PM
I'll give another vote to trying to make some planes. When I started building & repairing guitars, I realized why so many builders make their own tools - instrument makers planes can break the bank quick!! I needed finger & thumb planes, so I made them. Lots of info available. They came out so well, I made a couple of smooth & jack planes, some with different bed angles for figured woods. When some of my tools were stolen a few months back, I replaced some with iron planes, & it just isn't the same. When I get caught up, I'm going to make some more....don

Mike Holbrook
02-10-2005, 6:09 PM
I just ordered the LV, LA Jack, they are back ordered but due in within a week or two. I already have their nice little Block plane. I think that those two planes will give almost anyone a very good start.

I have some old rusty iron that I plan to revive in the near future. Maybe we can get Tyler to give us a few pointers on that art. I have a great sharpening system but I am not so sure it can be used to level heavy plane iron.

Ernie Hobbs
02-10-2005, 10:36 PM
Brian, although there are lots of over-priced collectors planes on ebay, you can also find some good deals. If you want a good #4, you can't go wrong with an older Stanley/Bailey #4. I have been able to find several lately for less than $10. If you want something a bit heavier, a #4 1/2 is my favorite. However, these can be a bit higher priced and you have to look harder for a good deal. Also, I bought a #5 last week for $7 in great condition. The main thing is that you have to be willing to let them go if they get into a bidding war. Don't worry, another one is just around the corner.

Brian Triplett
02-14-2005, 8:37 AM
Thanks. I think I am going to try but route yall mentioned, I purchased a #4 from Lee Valley and found a good deal on ebay for a #5. The only reason I did not go with the low anlge plane I was not to sure how it would do in leveling a bench top and they said nothing about leveling in its write up online :confused: . Like I said I’m new to hand planing. Thanks again. :D