PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning computer keyboards

Stephen Tashiro
05-28-2011, 5:03 PM
Blowing debris out of computer keyboards is very unsatisfying since so much of it remains trapped behind the keys. I've cleaned many keyboards by prying off the keys, cleaning the hairs and dust off of them and then pressing the keys back on. The most significant thing I've learned from cleaning keyboards this way is that it never works.

In my early attempts, I didn't realize that certain keys had springs, bands or wire levers behind them and I either lost these parts or put the keys back wrong. In my more recent attempts, I have mastered the art of getting all the keys back so that they work perfectly. The problem I have now is that after a period normal use, computers to which my cleaned keyboards are attached mysteriously lock-up and stop responding to most input. I have no idea why.

Keyboards are cheap these days and it probably isn't worth it to clean them. But I can't help wondering if there is some secret to computer keyboard cleaning.

Chuck Wintle
05-28-2011, 6:36 PM
separate the keyboard by removing the screws. Lift the membrane out of the way and use soap an water to clean the keys. Dry well be fore reassembling.

Jim O'Dell
05-28-2011, 8:11 PM
I just replaced an old Logitech wired keyboard, and I mean old. Wasn't even USB!! In fact, I just plugged this new Logitech wireless in today, well actually I pared it as it's wireless. :cool: The old one still works and will go to the shop eventually with the old computer. It must be at least 12 years old. Never been cleaned. I'm sure it could use a good one, and I might take it apart to do so before I plug it back in at the shop. But I'd say I've gotten my money's worth out of it. Hopefully the new one will last as long. Jim.

Myk Rian
05-28-2011, 8:21 PM
I have a few of the old IBM KBds. Probably 20+ years old. I'm afraid to open them to see what lays inside. They just keep typing away.
You can clean the circuit board in a dishwasher, and a week of drying time.

Steve Griffin
05-28-2011, 8:51 PM
I once discovered that a half cup of coffee spilt on the keyboard helps clean it. But unfortunately several important keys never worked again, so I had to buy another. The new one was very clean though....

I now use a slightly damp cloth.

-Steve

Karl Card
05-29-2011, 9:32 AM
Well I have a story for you.... I recently was redoing my office, unfortunately I hit my desk and a 64 oz cup (barrel) of coffee went all over my desk, in my keyboard and then down the hole for my wires and into my computer. The first thing I did was grab the power cord and unplugged it. The second thing I did was swear alot....lol.. but anyway I took it all apart, took a can of electronic cleaner, the kind that leaves no residue, and then put it back together... it works great. The only thing that went bad was the usb/firewire pci card did not revive. But I had just put this computer together and was glad to see it still breathing. I guess how this relates is that you can also take a keyboard and unplug it and clean it with water and dry it out and it will be okay, someimtes these new keybaords are just as cheap to replace or you can also use electronic cleaner and have no worries.

Kent A Bathurst
05-29-2011, 10:26 AM
..... a half cup of coffee spilt on the keyboard helps clean it...

Nahhh - Sierra Nevada Pale Ale is much better - I think the hops help dissolve built-up junk.

Bryan Morgan
05-29-2011, 12:26 PM
Top shelf of the dishwasher. Works great. Just make sure its dry before you plug it back in.

Karl Card
06-01-2011, 8:14 AM
I really like the looks of black for computer, keyboard, mouse, stereo, printer etc... but man it shows dust so bad... then I wonder how such a small piece of pathetic magnetivity (if that is a word) cant be just blown away with an air compressor... How does "dust" stick so well? As soon as I get my house done I am installing a whole house filter, maybe even sooner..

Prashun Patel
06-01-2011, 9:01 AM
I use one of those computer dusters with the thin nozzle. Then I bang the keyboard upside down on one of its corners and watch an insane amt of more dust/hair/crumbs come out, then repeat.
Next, I take a cotton swab and wipe in between the keys with rubbing alcohol.
If it ever needs more, I use the $20 of my spent time to just buy a new one.

Matt Meiser
06-01-2011, 9:05 AM
I tried cleaning my laptop keyboard, with Mountain Dew, in front of the president of the company about 15 years ago. Funny how some keys would occasionally stick after that.

(He was all apologetic because I did it when he came up behind me and I turned to talk to him.)

Jeremy Greiner
06-01-2011, 9:35 AM
Top shelf of the dishwasher. Works great. Just make sure its dry before you plug it back in.

+1 I've saved several keyboards from the spilled soda fate with this method.

Eric DeSilva
06-01-2011, 12:45 PM
Interesting timing--this came up in my RSS feed... http://www.howtogeek.com/65073/how-to-thoroughly-clean-your-keyboard-without-breaking-anything/

Dan Forman
06-02-2011, 2:52 PM
I run the hose of the vacuum over mine now and then, never had a problem in five years. Unplug the keyboard first to prevent keyboard shortcuts from going into effect. I recently cleaned the dingy white keys of my Mac keyboard with a little windex sprayed on an old t shirt. I made sure that the cloth was only damp, not wet enough to allow any drops to form under pressure and get where they shouldn't be, and cleaned one key at a time. Looks like new now.

Dan

Stephen Tashiro
06-04-2011, 6:21 PM
A poster on the dutchforce forum gave this interesting link to information for keyboard connoisseurs: http://www.overclock.net/keyboards/491752-mechanical-keyboard-guide.html