PDA

View Full Version : Must start computer to turn laser on??

Kevin Baker
05-28-2011, 3:14 PM
Hi Everyone!

Got this new computer HP Pavilion Elite, wiped the hard drive and did a clean install of all software. Everything works great, but if I leave the computer running (and I've changed it so the computer doesn't go to sleep), I must restart the computer to get the power button in the software to turn the laser on. Once I restart, works great, leave the computer running and when I come back, the power button doesn't do anything. Anyone experienced this?

Thanks,
Kevin

Mike Chance in Iowa
05-28-2011, 5:34 PM
Need details on which operating system you are running. Chances are, you have a setting checked to "allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" somewhere in your power management or device list.

Dan Hintz
05-28-2011, 6:35 PM
Sounds like an issue with the USB driver... after some period of inactivity (or the computer goes to sleep, which I realize you have disabled), the connection is killed. Try unplugging/re-plugging the USB cable and see if the connection comes back...let us know.

Kevin Baker
05-29-2011, 6:14 AM
Mike/Dan ~

Played around this morning, came across this.. changed it to disable and will check it after church today. Thanks for the help..

Kevin196213

Kevin Baker
05-29-2011, 3:30 PM
Nope still the same problem... running windows 7. I didn't have this problem with my old Dell computer, running the same OS

Lee DeRaud
05-29-2011, 5:21 PM
I wouldn't be real surprised if you have to reboot to get some of those driver-specific power-save settings to take effect.

Kevin L. Waldron
05-29-2011, 7:22 PM
Kevin,

It is your HP computer.......... nearly 2 years ago now........... Universal actually keep my HP because they couldn't get another computer and laser to act up.... in the same way my machine was working ............. Universal gave me a substitute......... Universal kept my machine for almost 5 months.......... we have both a VLS 450 and a ILS1250.......... (HP usb bus turned out to be from A-to Z in response........ and it wasn't always consistant...... in the Diagnostic area of the Universal software there is now a latency test for the USB port because of my machines)

Call Universal and ask for the latest software........ even if it's a beta..........( I'm running...... 5.28.52.16 beta and it is a little buggy .... they probably have another beta out now..... the one I have acts up sometime with the USB ports)......... Another solution that I have found works better most of the time is to use an external power Hub USB........ it tends to be more stable........

Hope this helps.

Kevin

Kevin Baker
05-30-2011, 6:56 AM
Kevin -
Thanks for the info.. Here's what I did after reading your post. I uninstalled the driver, rebooted, installed the driver, rebooted, then I used a 3.0 USB slot on a card I installed in the system soon after I purchased the computer. Ran the diagnostics for the usb test and passed it.. will see how things go later today. I do have the latest software as well

Thanks again,
Kevin