PDA

View Full Version : Lucy Telles lidded Basket

Jim Adkins
05-28-2011, 2:08 PM
A piece that I recently finished. This is a copy of a Lucy Telles lidded Basket.
Size is 8" D. X 5.5" H., Wet-turned from Sugar Maple, DNA soaked, dryed, re-turned with 1/8" beads, usual pyrography, dyes and finish applied.
Critiques, comments & downright put-downs acceptable!!

Tim Thiebaut
05-28-2011, 2:28 PM
As always you have come up with an incredibly beautiful work of art here. How long did this take you? The detail is amazing on this, have you ever heard from any native americans about your work? I would assume they would be thrilled to have someone honor them this way.

Allan Ferguson
05-28-2011, 2:44 PM
Just beautiful and has to be a ton of work into one of these. I will leave this stuff to you.

Steve bellinger
05-28-2011, 3:13 PM
Jim that is just one of the most beautiful thing i have ever seen on any of these forums. I'm heading to the shop to start practicing this as soon as i get off this puter.I know it will take me years to figure all of this out, but i will keep playing with this till i get it , or die trying.:D:D:D

John W Dixon
05-28-2011, 3:23 PM
Amazing!.... Again!

Bob Bergstrom
05-28-2011, 3:23 PM
Hard to believe it is wood. Phenomenal work. The colors just make everything look so much like a woven basket. Thanks for allowing us to share in a rare glimpse of a museum quality turning.

David E Keller
05-28-2011, 3:41 PM
This is another beautiful piece, Jim. I'm kind of torn about the unfinished areas under the lid and on the base of the form... I like the fact that one can easily tell that the piece is made of wood, but another part of me wants the entire thing to be beaded and burned to keep the illusion going. Regardless of my internal conflict, I continue to be in awe of your patience and skill.

Michael James
05-28-2011, 5:09 PM
Remarkable! Im sure even Lucy would love it if she saw it. I think your work is swaying me from my future plans to go segmented when I retire in a few yrs. Thanks for sharing.
mj

Jim Adkins
05-28-2011, 5:41 PM
WOW....you Creekers certainly know how to make an old guy feel good!! I will try to respond to some of your comments. Tim: I never keep track of my time, usually working on 2-3 at any given time (they go stale!) Have never heard from any of the Native people regarding my work. Alan: thanks for the words. Steve: I like your thinking!!, if I can help, pm me. John & Bob: Thanks again, nice words for sure. DK: I am in agreement with you about the underside of the "lid", should have completed the burning. (next time!) I leave the interior of the foot "raw", need a place to write my credits and this seems to be the only spot, but your right again, it would look better with beading, ect. Good points, well taken, thanks.
Michael: I would hope Lucy would look favorable at a "ripoff" of her stuff but she's long gone but decendants of hers might view it positively.....let's hope. Thanks to all for the good words, I appreciate your time to post.

Steve Schlumpf
05-28-2011, 5:51 PM
Jim - I am amazed yet again! Absolutely stunning!

The amount of research, detail and effort that you put into each piece is beyond anything I can contemplate at this point in my turning adventure! I love your work - especially the illusion aspect of it! Are you planning to attend the symposium? If so, I sure hope I get to meet you and shake your hand - in the hopes that some of your talent will rub off on me!

Beautiful work and I agree with Bob - museum quality art! Thanks so much for sharing! Looking forward to seeing what you create next!

Mark Hazelden
05-28-2011, 6:28 PM
Wow, indeed! Wonderful piece.

Sure wish talent like yours could rub off to me via the internet.

David DeCristoforo
05-28-2011, 6:56 PM
Sorry, Jim... I'm all out of superlatives. And as I am late coming today, all the good ones have already been used. I'll just go off and scratch my head for a bit...

Richard Madden
05-28-2011, 8:19 PM
I get to say WOW!! for the second time. The first being when I saw this piece back in March. Excellent work, and I can only hope to do half as good....someday.

Jerry Lawrence
05-28-2011, 8:23 PM
"usual pyrography, dyes and finish applied."
I love how you say that as if it's quite a common thing that everyone does! This is another outstanding piece! I only dream of being half this talented.

John Hart
05-28-2011, 8:25 PM
Jim, You sent me on a research run. I took a little time to read about Lucy Parker Telles and see what this is all about. She really did wonderful work....Long, hard, unrewarded beautiful work...as you are doing now. I would trust her descendants would appreciate your work.

Robert McGowen
05-28-2011, 8:27 PM
Your work is always impressive. Thanks for sharing!

Toney Robertson
05-28-2011, 8:41 PM
The illusion aspect of the piece blows me away. How in the world do you do something like that?

Like someone else said, scratching my head!!!

John Keeton
05-28-2011, 9:23 PM
Jim, most everything has been said, but I just want to, once again, thank you for becoming an active member of Sawmill Creek. You have brought to this forum a level of expertise and artistry that is just not found often in this world. But, more than that, you have brought friendship and a willingness to share - those are rarities, as well. This piece is one of the more beautiful ones you have done IMHO, and just a wonderful work of art.

Hope to spend a few minutes with you over a cup of coffee in St. Paul - maybe that breakfast you mentioned!!

Jim Burr
05-28-2011, 9:37 PM
Next time you come to California young man...I fully expect to be humbled into getting details. I can toss my lathe in my truck and head north in 2 shakes of a whatchamacallit. As always...gallery work, suitable only for display!!!
I saw this on display not to long ago, or a similar one...I can only oggle from afar...

Jeff Nicol
05-29-2011, 12:57 AM
Jim, It is an incredible work of art! I have to try some of this syle of turning if I ever get to turn again! Seems like everything else has been taking up my time, but you have reminded me of how wonderful the beading and burning method transforms a simple turning into something esqusite!

Thanks for sharing,

Jeff

Keith Burns
05-29-2011, 6:32 AM
Jim, you are the master ! Always beautiful work !

Michelle Rich
05-29-2011, 6:35 AM
Astounding basket illusion. Your skill is remarkable. It's a lovely vessel.

Curt Fuller
05-29-2011, 10:33 AM
Jim, I'm like the others that can't come up with the right words to express how incredible your work is. Now after reading Hart's comment, I'm going on one of those google jaunts to see where your inspiration comes from.

Jim Adkins
05-29-2011, 11:10 AM
To all you Guys & Gals, a big "Thank You" for all the nice postings about this piece. To those of you who like to Google the names of Basket Weavers add the names of Carrie Bethel & Louisa Keyser to your "to do" lists. Think you will find these names very interesting. Thanks again to all for the great compliments.

Baxter Smith
05-29-2011, 10:29 PM
Another great turning Jim. I enjoy seeing your work and learning more about the people whose work you are inspired by.

Roger Chandler
05-29-2011, 10:44 PM
Truly............exceptional!!!

Raymond Sprouse
05-30-2011, 7:46 AM
Jim, that is beautiful. It looks like a lot of work but it's worth it.