PDA

View Full Version : Overdue Shop Tour. (20 pics!)

John Miliunas
02-08-2005, 8:28 AM
I've had a "few" requests to see where all this equipment I've procured over the last couple of years has gone. On the same site, you can also see my old shop for a decent comparison. You might also spot a few names out there familiar to you and take a peek at their shop, as well!:)

I'd like to thank Rod Peterson, who is the keeper of the Shop Tours, as well as the kind folks at Wood Central providing space for the Shop Tours. I'm sure that, at some point in time, SMC will have their own space, but right now, this has to be the best collection of shops around!

Thanks for taking a peek and criticisms are welcome! (That's one of the main ideas of posting shop tours: Get ideas and hear from others who may suggest improvements for what you already have!)

Here's the link: http://www.shoptours.org/shop_tours/files/john-miliunas2.html (http://www.shoptours.org/shop_tours/files/john-miliunas2.html)
:) :cool:

Glenn Clabo
02-08-2005, 8:35 AM
John...
Well thought out...simply AWESOME!
You have your own woodworking world setup with all the comforts required in one place.

Jeff Sudmeier
02-08-2005, 8:42 AM
John, great documention of the shop! As I have told you, it is what I would like to have in about 10 years :) I am glad that you found a new shop and are getting it set up for your needs!

Greg Heppeard
02-08-2005, 8:54 AM
I can only see one problem with your shop. It looks like nothing goes on there...where's all the sawdust?? :eek: C'mon, tell the truth...This one is for show and you really have another shop that you use all the time. ;) Just kidding...Looks like a great set up. I'm green just thinking about all the room you have...mine's only 19X22 inside.

Joe Mioux
02-08-2005, 8:58 AM
John, thanks for the tour. Looks like you have that space pretty well used up!

Ted Shrader
02-08-2005, 9:03 AM
John -

Thanks for the link. Nice shop, but we all knew that. This just proves it.

I think a similar feature would be of use here at the Creek, too.

Ted

Frank Pellow
02-08-2005, 9:03 AM
I've had a "few" requests to see where all this equipment I've procured over the last couple of years has gone. On the same site, you can also see my old shop for a decent comparison. You might also spot a few names out there familiar to you and take a peek at their shop, as well!:)

Thanks for the tour John; I really enjoyed it. :)

There seems to be some sort of problem with the shot of the EZ table. :( I get an error when I click on that image. And your use of that table is something that I really want to see.

I have one other suggestion. It would help me a lot to put things into perspective if you also provided and overall layout diagram.

Jim Becker
02-08-2005, 9:11 AM
Very nice tour, John. A great shop that as you said, came with a complimentary house! :D

That assembly table is a nice size...a new top, either of a couple layers of MDF or a torsion box would make a nice shop project and bring it to total flatness. If I had the room, that's what I'd build for my shop for the same purpose!

Byron Trantham
02-08-2005, 9:13 AM
John,
Nice tour, nice shop. Now let's make it look like a "Real" shop and get some sawdust all over everthing! :D

Herb Blair
02-08-2005, 9:14 AM
You certainly have a nice shop, John. I'm green with envy.

Jeff Sudmeier
02-08-2005, 9:15 AM
I can only see one problem with your shop. It looks like nothing goes on there...where's all the sawdust?? :eek: C'mon, tell the truth...This one is for show and you really have another shop that you use all the time. ;) Just kidding...Looks like a great set up. I'm green just thinking about all the room you have...mine's only 19X22 inside.

Greg, he just bribes his daughter into cleaning for him!!
:eek: :D ;)

Terry Hatfield
02-08-2005, 9:17 AM
John,

WOW!!!!!!!! Fantastic job on the shop!! BUT...Where are all those planes???? Perhaps I missed them but I don't see any big 'ole hand tool cabinets. :D

Thanks for posting,

t

Carl Eyman
02-08-2005, 9:24 AM
To paraphrase Mr. Parkinson: "The number of tools grows to fill the space available for them". Wonderful shop, John. If my mother hadn't told me envy was a sin, I'd be green right now.

Mark Singer
02-08-2005, 9:24 AM
John,

That is a great shop! Makes you want to make some great stuff! I really enjoyed the tour!

John Miliunas
02-08-2005, 9:25 AM
Very nice tour, John. A great shop that as you said, came with a complimentary house! :D

That assembly table is a nice size...a new top, either of a couple layers of MDF or a torsion box would make a nice shop project and bring it to total flatness. If I had the room, that's what I'd build for my shop for the same purpose!
Jim, you must've gotten an A+ in college for "ESP-101", as that is on my list of "to-do"s. Though, I didn't give the torsion box assembly thought before. Hmmmm....Would be better yet! Thanks!:) :cool:

John Miliunas
02-08-2005, 9:29 AM
John,

WOW!!!!!!!! Fantastic job on the shop!! BUT...Where are all those planes???? Perhaps I missed them but I don't see any big 'ole hand tool cabinets. :D

Thanks for posting,

t
Thanks Terry, but "a big 'ole hand tool cabinet" does not yet exist. The majority of the planes are underneath the workbench, with the balance of hand tools primarily in the drawers on the big shop table. I will have to get on with making another rack for planes, though, 'cuz the right side is now filled up!:) :cool:

Lou Morrissette
02-08-2005, 9:31 AM
Great shop and tour, John. Well organized and thought out. Thanks for the look.

Lou

Pete Harbin
02-08-2005, 9:34 AM
Really nice John. Don't let the LOYL see this thread though...all these well deserved compliments could put a screaming halt to the tool budget..."But sweetheart, all the guys at Sawmill Creek said you have a great set-up already." :D

Mike Scoggins
02-08-2005, 9:54 AM
John,

Thanks for the tour! You've got a great set-up conducive for a great woodworking experience. I look forward to seeing the many projects forthcoming from your tool abode.

Mike

Dick Parr
02-08-2005, 10:05 AM
Great looking shop with a very nice lay out John. You really need to spend some time on that Vega and show us some bowls, Big bowls. :D

The only thing I didn't see was a bed and a refrigerator and then you would be set and never have to leave. ;)

Nice looking shop John.

Jason Tuinstra
02-08-2005, 10:08 AM
John,

Wow!!! What a great looking shop you have there. I thought I was looking at the New Yankee shop with all those tools you have. I'm certainly green with envy. Thanks for sharing... I think :p

Kelly C. Hanna
02-08-2005, 10:20 AM
Cool shop John!! Thanks for the tour!

Tyler Howell
02-08-2005, 10:40 AM
Wow John,
Like I've been there before! Wait I have been there before:eek: . Thanks again for the tour and great ideas.

Tyler Howell
02-08-2005, 10:43 AM
[QUOTE=Dick Parr]
The only thing I didn't see was a bed and a refrigerator and then you would be set and never have to leave. ;)

The Refridge is there Dick and I think he sometimes stretches out on the TS:D

larry merlau
02-08-2005, 10:46 AM
well mr wisconsin you have accomplished what you strived for, made many of us envious and then to hear you say you got a specail room for finishing in the works pretty much sows it up :D now i know why i have asked for some of your advice, you got it all :D very nice and i willhave to move up my arrrival date. got to have a closer look at how to live in bliss with woodworking tools. all you need is a couch and you could live there when the better half gets orny :D thanks for the tour. now back to reality and my dreams :D

Jerry Olexa
02-08-2005, 11:38 AM
John, you have a GREAT shop. As Jim said "did a house come with your purchase?". You must have an understanding wife. You're ready for prime time TV like "WWing w John M" after D. Marks. The only thing I noticed missing was a "Packer" poster or pennant. I'm also envious of your well equipped supply of tools! OUTSTANDING place to enjoy your toys errr...I mean hobby.:D

John Miliunas
02-08-2005, 11:50 AM
The only thing I noticed missing was a "Packer" poster or pennant.
Jerry, Jerry, Jerry..... Time for new glasses, is it? OK, the one you really can't see is the pic with the PC, monitor, etc..., because it's a GB Super Bowl banner across almost the entire window! Too much light to make it out. BUT, a bit further down is the entertainment ctr. with a nice poster right above it!:) The next pic, right after that, (the one with the scroll saw) you can also spot a bit of the GB lettering above the window. A "Special Export" mirror with the Super Bowl team roster!:) :cool:

Dave Richards
02-08-2005, 11:55 AM
Good shop tour, John. It feels like I've seen it in person. :D

Jerry Olexa
02-08-2005, 11:58 AM
Jerry, Jerry, Jerry..... Time for new glasses, is it? OK, the one you really can't see is the pic with the PC, monitor, etc..., because it's a GB Super Bowl banner across almost the entire window! Too much light to make it out. BUT, a bit further down is the entertainment ctr. with a nice poster right above it!:) The next pic, right after that, (the one with the scroll saw) you can also spot a bit of the GB lettering above the window. A "Special Export" mirror with the Super Bowl team roster!:) :cool:
OK OK I concede ...Guess I need new glasses (a young guy like me) :) I knew your allegiance to "the PACK" would be displayed somewhere. I feel better now. As long as you don't have any signed Randy Moss posters. :rolleyes: That is ONE Terrific Shop!!:)

Chris Padilla
02-08-2005, 12:25 PM
Looks great, John! I'm so jealous of those with space to more or less keep various tools permanently placed!

Louis Bois
02-08-2005, 12:49 PM
Nice, organized setup John. It's a wonder you ever leave the place!!! I especially like the green "Scarborough Dinner Jacket" hanging on the pegboard. Nice touch!!!

I'm not a big fan of particle board, but I'm all too aware of budget constraints! I'm sure you'll be replacing those doors with curly cherry cabinets as budget permits! That could be a while, however, since you've acquired a taste for the finer tools in life!!!

:D

Dave Right
02-08-2005, 1:14 PM
Great shop - John!

Looks like you have made a nice home away from home.
Nicely thought out shop. Looks like you might need to move some walls
with another purchase or two.

Rich Konopka
02-08-2005, 1:42 PM
Nice Shop John !!! The only thing missing is the symbolic cheesehead to go with the GB banner. Some how I know there is one lurking about.:D

nic obie
02-08-2005, 2:12 PM
John,

That is one cool shop. It looks like you've got just about everything. Having all that space would be to die for!

Now if you just traded that LT band saw in for a MM It would be perfect. ;)

BTW, when I pointed out your microwave to my wife she said I should think about getting one for my shop too, because she is getting ready to ban me from the house again. Hahahahahahahaha.

John Miliunas
02-08-2005, 2:16 PM
Nice Shop John !!! The only thing missing is the symbolic cheesehead to go with the GB banner. Some how I know there is one lurking about.:D
Thanks Rich and, although it's not a full-sized one, you may note that there's a miniature cheesehead hat on top of the speaker in the shot with the EC and clamps! :) (Kind of tough to see....:) ) In reality, I'm not much into wearing hats, caps or such, cheesehead or otherwise! I was thinking of maybe getting a SMC cap just for display, but it would just get all dusty and icky.:( :cool:

John Miliunas
02-08-2005, 2:33 PM
John,

That is one cool shop. It looks like you've got just about everything. Having all that space would be to die for!

Now if you just traded that LT band saw in for a MM It would be perfect. ;)

BTW, when I pointed out your microwave to my wife she said I should think about getting one for my shop too, because she is getting ready to ban me from the house again. Hahahahahahahaha.
Thanks Nic. I've actually experimented a bit with the microwave on bowls, though I still need a lot more practice, which in turn means, I really NEED to get back to the lathes one of these days! Oh, and I'm quite happy with the Laguna, thank you! Setup with the RK, a WW friend of mine was duly impressed with the thin Lacewood I cut off for him!:) :cool:

John Miliunas
02-08-2005, 3:14 PM
Thanks for the tour John; I really enjoyed it. :)

There seems to be some sort of problem with the shot of the EZ table. :( I get an error when I click on that image. And your use of that table is something that I really want to see.

I have one other suggestion. It would help me a lot to put things into perspective if you also provided and overall layout diagram.
Frank, I emailed Rod and he fixed the link on that picture. Thanks to you and Charlie for the heads up on that one!:) As for the layout diagram, I used to have an electronic copy of that eons ago, but haven't been able to find it. If I do, I'll send it along. Might just go ahead and make up a fresh one, "just in case I'd need to re-arrange...."! :D :cool:

John Weber
02-08-2005, 9:47 PM
John,

Killer shop, well out fitted and all that space - WOW! You just need something for that jointer :) Any problems with all the electronics? Looks like a great place to just hang out. I wish we were closer so I could check it out in person.

Looks Great - John

Christopher Stahl
02-08-2005, 10:28 PM
That's a terrific shop. Jim said it best, you bought a nice shop with a house as a bonus. :)

chris

Don Selke
02-09-2005, 12:07 AM
Great shop John, Now I know where you hide from the cold, snow and the wife!!!!!
Very nice and you really have everything organized.

David Klug
02-09-2005, 12:13 AM
Beautiful shop John. How do you like the miter guage you have on the wall?

DK

Bob Marino
02-09-2005, 3:54 AM
Hey John,

Very well thought out, nice job! Thanks for posting!

Bob

Thomas Prondzinski
02-09-2005, 7:13 AM
Nice shop John, thanks for the pics,looks like you have it set up well.Is the computer in the woodshop with all the dust,how does it work out. Is that your only computer or do you have one in the house? Do you use it much?

Tom

Mark J Bachler
02-09-2005, 8:37 AM
Great tour of an awesome shop neighbor.

John Miliunas
02-09-2005, 8:56 AM
Beautiful shop John. How do you like the miter guage you have on the wall?

DK
David, I'm assuming you mean the Incra 2000 near the BS? Well, it's an extremely well engineered and assembled miter, with micor adjusting ability and good repeatability within the range of its fence. I have since bought a Jointech Smart Miter. The Incra has seen little use since then!:) :cool:

John Miliunas
02-09-2005, 9:10 AM
For Tom P. and the rest of the folks who have inquired about the electronics. I've yet to find a problem with keeping them in there. As I wrote privately to one of our members, the entertainment ctr and PC workstation are both at relatively low dust-generating areas. I also use the cyclone DC system quite religiously and, if I'm doing any real significant amount of sawing/milling operations, I kick the air filter on, as well. Otherwise, just blow the units out with some compressed air every now and again and all is good. And yes, I DO use the PC a LOT in there! Fact is, it's on my way in from the garage area and I flip it "on" every time I go in there. Hey, I need to stay on top of you guys, ya' know?!:D :) Thanks for all the flattering comments, as well!:) :cool:

Jeff Sudmeier
02-09-2005, 9:42 AM
Thanks Nic. I've actually experimented a bit with the microwave on bowls, though I still need a lot more practice, which in turn means, I really NEED to get back to the lathes one of these days! Oh, and I'm quite happy with the Laguna, thank you! Setup with the RK, a WW friend of mine was duly impressed with the thin Lacewood I cut off for him!:) :cool:

The friend wasn't me... but I did get to see the thin lacewood that John Cut... man was it a sweet cut! :)

Charlie Woods
02-09-2005, 10:18 AM
John:
I can only hope/dream of having that much room for a shop before I pass on. The green eyed jelousy monster has reared it's head.:D Looks really good. As small as my home shop( Garage) is, that is my one space where I can relax, and get my thereapy away from the world.

Gene Collison
02-09-2005, 10:35 AM
Damn John, where's the hotub? You got everthing else, WOW!!:):)

Gene

Mike Forsman
02-09-2005, 10:45 AM
John,

That’s really a very nice shop setup you have. Beats my shop/garage by a long shot. I'm sure that you enjoy it.

Carl Eyman
02-09-2005, 1:44 PM
John let me suggest this Latin motto to be displayed over your shop entrance- you do read latin, don't you? AB ILLO CUI MULTUM DATUR MULTUM REQUIRITUR I'll give you and the rest the translation in due course, but you have to sweat first.

Jerry Olexa
02-09-2005, 1:48 PM
Gee John What are the hours you'll be setting up Shop tours (conducted by Cheesehead hostesses). DIY channel wants to film. You better get an agent..It is a beautiful shop!! :)

John Miliunas
02-09-2005, 1:59 PM
John let me suggest this Latin motto to be displayed over your shop entrance- you do read latin, don't you? AB ILLO CUI MULTUM DATUR MULTUM REQUIRITUR I'll give you and the rest the translation in due course, but you have to sweat first.
How about: "For whom much is given, much is required."?:D :cool:

John Renzetti
02-09-2005, 2:04 PM
hi John, Just got a good look at the shop tour. Very nice set up. I didn't have a chance to read all the comments so I hope I'm not repeating anything.
I only have a couple of commnets. (I guess there always have to be one wiseguy). You have a lot of solid ducting directly to the machines. Plus I saw a few with mobile bases. I would suggest using good flex hose for the drops. That Woodsucker is plenty powerful to handle any loss due to the flex resistance, but you could gain a bit by eliminating some of the solid bends.
Other comment is lighting. Not sure what you have but I put in a bunch of daylight hi color rendition bulbs along with some incandescent task lighting. Also used electronic ballasts on the flourescents.
It looks like we have the same heater hanging from the ceiling. Looks like an empire 220v 20amp.
take care,
John

John Miliunas
02-09-2005, 2:18 PM
hi John, Just got a good look at the shop tour. Very nice set up. I didn't have a chance to read all the comments so I hope I'm not repeating anything.
I only have a couple of commnets. (I guess there always have to be one wiseguy). You have a lot of solid ducting directly to the machines. Plus I saw a few with mobile bases. I would suggest using good flex hose for the drops. That Woodsucker is plenty powerful to handle any loss due to the flex resistance, but you could gain a bit by eliminating some of the solid bends.
Other comment is lighting. Not sure what you have but I put in a bunch of daylight hi color rendition bulbs along with some incandescent task lighting. Also used electronic ballasts on the flourescents.
It looks like we have the same heater hanging from the ceiling. Looks like an empire 220v 20amp.
take care,
John
Thanks for the suggestions, John. Actually, there are a number of tools with the flex on it, but I just do that as close to the machine as possible. It's working pretty good, so I don't know if I'll be changing much. None of the machines really move, even if they are on mobile bases. About the only ones are the drum sander, when I have longer stock to do and the W&H molder gets carted over to where the planer usually lives.

You ain't lyin' about the lighting! I really do want to get the daylight bulbs in there! I will, however, do just that when I get to finishing up the finishing room. That's where it will be most important. Once that's done, then I'll start converting the main shop area.:)

That heater was used for a season in my old, little shop and only for a real short period in this one. I used to have a wood burner in here, until my insurance guy almost had a coronary. I would leave it on in the evening to maintain a decent level when the fire died. Since then, a propane fired Hot Dawg has been put into service with a setback thermostat. Much more convenient!:D :cool:

Carl Eyman
02-09-2005, 3:23 PM
Wow! He reads latin, too.

Tom Sontag
02-09-2005, 7:00 PM
Nice collection of tools. Nice space. Missing one thing though: wood. I saw a few boards laying about here and there but that kind of shop deserves a rack of 1000bf+. Cherry, walnut, oaks, poplar, sheet goods, some figured maple, bowl blanks, good gosh man, you could fill up maybe 5% of that space in no time! :rolleyes:

John Scarpa
02-09-2005, 7:29 PM
John,
What a great enviornment! You know how they say everyman's home is his castle? Well I think you've moved the castle to the shop! Now if I can just find a way to get my old entertainment center in mine..................... I'd need a big shoe horn for that!
John

Spence DePauw
02-09-2005, 9:34 PM
I can only say (again) FANTASTIC, John.

If I recall correctly, wern't you looking for shop ideas about the time Badger Pond expired? I had been a lurker there, and had just posted a short tour of my 'money pit' when the end came (like the same week!). In fact, I've been gunshy about getting too active since :eek:

If I ever get up in your neck of the woods, I'll give you a shout.

Spence

Bart Leetch
02-09-2005, 9:36 PM
Great shop John. What no cheese cutter?

Bruce Page
02-09-2005, 9:42 PM
Very nice shop John, I wish I had that much space! The DC system looks great but it looks like an awful lot of work to put up.

How do you like those casters on your drum sander?

John Miliunas
02-09-2005, 9:44 PM
I can only say (again) FANTASTIC, John.

If I recall correctly, wern't you looking for shop ideas about the time Badger Pond expired? I had been a lurker there, and had just posted a short tour of my 'money pit' when the end came (like the same week!). In fact, I've been gunshy about getting too active since :eek:

If I ever get up in your neck of the woods, I'll give you a shout.

Spence
Holy smokes, Spence! You got yourself one heckuva' memory there!:) A lot less equipment back then, but more of a challenge making that little space useable.:)

Tim Morton
02-09-2005, 9:58 PM
Absolutely perfect shop John!!! I have been too busy to really dig into it, but I have set aside saturday morning with a cup of hot coffee and some peace and wuite to really study it. if you ever make it out east you are welcome to stay with us as long as you need to get my basement in order. We even have a decent football team to watch ....I never thought of a TV in the shop...but it make sense to me!!

John Miliunas
02-09-2005, 10:05 PM
Very nice shop John, I wish I had that much space! The DC system looks great but it looks like an awful lot of work to put up.

How do you like those casters on your drum sander?
Thanks Bruce (and all!). I first used casters like that on my former Delta contractor TS and they worked great. When I got the drum sander, I knew that I'd need to shove it around a bit for longer stock. Those casters do the trick in great fashion! Would not hesitate recommending them for that style of stand.:) :cool:

Dale Thompson
02-09-2005, 11:01 PM
John,
I am sorry to inform you that your "finishing area" is in violation of OSHA Standard 1910.155 entitled "Fire Protection". "Flammable materials must be stored in explosion proof cabinets and automatic fire suppression systems must be installed as appropriate to the hazard". :eek: With YOUR money, the $100,000 fine should not be a problem. Also, you're a young guy so the mandatory 10 years in Federal Prison should not really have a significant impact on your life.

Since my dedication to "big government" forces me to turn you in, I hope that you realize that killing an OSHA agent or informant carries an additional $10,000 fine. :eek: ;) Honest, that's the law!

Thanks for the tour, Mr. John. In order to catch up with you, I will have to buy a whole shop full of CNC machines. That's going to be tough because I'm on a six-month payment plan just to buy a #68 drill bit for my scroll saw patterns. :o :(

Congratulations, bud, if anyone deserves a GREAT shop, it is you! :) I think that I am sinking further and further into, "The Creek". How do I compete with the WAL-MILIUNAS SUPER SHOPS on this forum?? :confused: ;) :rolleyes: :)

Dale T.

John Miliunas
02-10-2005, 8:07 AM
Since my dedication to "big government" forces me to turn you in, I hope that you realize that killing an OSHA agent or informant carries an additional $10,000 fine. :eek: ;) Honest, that's the law!

Congratulations, bud, if anyone deserves a GREAT shop, it is you! :) I think that I am sinking further and further into, "The Creek". How do I compete with the WAL-MILIUNAS SUPER SHOPS on this forum??
Dale T.
Dale, we've seen bits and pieces of your shop and it appears to be every bit as nice and functional as any! The one thing you have in your shop, which I can't compare to, is the talent and skills needed to use all those tools in order to produce a fine piece of furniture or art. :o But, having a whole schmidthouse worth of tools, will reduce the amount of excuses I have for NOT being able to accomplish the task(s) at hand. I'm learnin'! Thanks again!:) :cool:

Ian Barley
02-10-2005, 10:47 AM
Nice tour of a good (busy) looking shop - thanks for posting

Dan Racette
02-10-2005, 12:34 PM
I suppose I don't get invited over now?? ;)

Get the shelix yet? I just put money down on an oliver 10" with "blems" for $1600. They have a helical cutter that I might upgrade to someday.

Wood chips will be flying constantly soon!

Dan

John Miliunas
02-10-2005, 1:05 PM
I suppose I don't get invited over now?? ;)

Get the shelix yet? I just put money down on an oliver 10" with "blems" for $1600. They have a helical cutter that I might upgrade to someday.

Wood chips will be flying constantly soon!

Dan
Dan, you are MORE than welcome to come on over!:) Hey, congrats on the Oliver...Hope it works well for you. Did you order it through Sunhill?

Didn't get the Shelix, yet, though I did get a call saying that when the "first" one gets here, to refuse delivery, because they apparently put the wrong bearings on it and didn't catch the mistake until after it shipped! Hopefull next week then.:cool:

Dan Bussiere
02-10-2005, 10:25 PM
Awesome set up John.

Kent Cori
02-11-2005, 8:15 PM
Great shop tour John! Many tool stores are in envy of your hideout! :)