PDA

View Full Version : K2CNC 1/2" to 1/8" adapter

Michael Simpson Virgina
05-28-2011, 12:17 PM
Has any one used the K2 cnc 1/2" to 1/8" adapter. Its machined brass and looks pretty good.
http://www.k2cnc.com/shop/proddetail.asp?prod=TOOL%2D8thCollet%2DHalf&cat=27

james mcgrew
05-28-2011, 1:32 PM
micheal, over the years the common step down is one increment at a time, 1/2 to 1/4,,,, 1/4 to 1/8th etc. i am no fan of inserts in a collet as i have had them slip and come out, is an 1/8th collet not available?

aklthough it looks well machined

Bruce Page
05-28-2011, 2:00 PM
Michael, I have used similar tool holders for years in the machine shop but they are hardened steel and much more precise. The only issue I see with the K2CNC holder is the different ratio of thermal expansion between the brass and the steel cutter. I could easily see the cutter coming loose after a number of heat cycles. If your cutter never gets hot then I don’t think there’s anything to worry about.

Michael Simpson Virgina
05-29-2011, 2:48 AM
For now I am using a Festoom MFK 700 router. Only hase 8mm and 1/4 collets. I plan on mounting a Dewalt 618 which has 1/4 and 1/2". I could find no collets for those routers. I have 3 other routers but don plan on using those. Its not that important now as I have some Freud 1/16 bits with 1/4" shanks. I just wanted something to use my 1/8" end mill bits.

Im thinking of build ing a 12" x 24" router based on my current design and will probably use somethigng like a rotozip or or Fordome as they both have 1/4" and 1/8" as well as a few other sizes.

I was just currious about the adapters. The last project I did on the CNC I used a 1/4 to 1/8 adapter without any issues. But did not like the idea becaus I know it added some additional runout. The Festool router is a dream on the CNC. However as money as I spent on the router Im reluctant to gut the electronics so I can connect my Super PID speed controller. Thats why I have the Dewalt.

Gary Campbell
05-29-2011, 4:19 PM
Michael...
If I had a need for small bits on a smaller machine, I would get one of the 1.5KW (+/-) chineese spindles. Spindle & VFD are close to the price (or less) of any router I own. ER type collets will allow any bit size, metric or imperial. They are available in air & liquid cooled. I am not a big proponent of chineese products, but there are very few, if any other options in this size/price range. The chineese product, albeit not super high quality, is is far and away better than any of the handheld routers out there. Especially the Dewalts and RotoZips.

Mike Heidrick
05-29-2011, 10:58 PM
I own that K2 insert and use it with all my 1/8" bits. Works perfect.

Michael Simpson Virgina
05-30-2011, 7:05 PM
Thanks Mike
I am using a little MCS adapter and it would be nice to use an adapter that does not have to be removed to change or adjust a bit. What alot of people un this site dont understand is that there is only a handfull of routers that hace 3rd party collets. Problem is most of them are Porter cable routers and the last three PC routers I got rid of cause they were nothing more than Junk. Bad Bearings, Bad Collets, Motors that run hot. All typical of chineese products.

ed vitanovec
06-01-2011, 12:01 AM
I have one and use it all the time, it works well and has held up. The K2CNC parts that I have bought from them have been hi quality, I would recommend them.

Regards!
Ed

tarik yousef
06-02-2011, 8:27 AM
I bought one years ago, it had visible runout. I was using a tiny V cutter on it and you could see the tip of it cuttting off center. It worked for what i needed, but I would not reccomend it for heavy cuts.