PDA

View Full Version : air dried wood storage

bruce buren
05-28-2011, 11:08 AM
I just bought 600 bf of cherry,walnut,ash, and oak. It has been stacked and stickered for about 15-18 years. I am going to put it on some horizontal racks, Do I need to sticker it again or can I just stack it board on board :confused:

Thanks

Neil Brooks
05-28-2011, 12:04 PM
Two answers:

1) You should sticker and stack it. Wherever it came FROM, you need to acclimate it to where YOU will be storing it. Can't hurt. Might help.

2) You should stack and sticker it in MY shop. I need it more than you do, and ... you KNOW I'd do it for you ;)

Nice gloat ... you sly dawg !

Bobby O'Neal
05-28-2011, 2:31 PM
I would be happy to store some for you as well. I can make a long weekend run to Lincoln.

For serious, I second the motion to sticker it. It surely can't hurt and takes minimal effort.

bruce buren
05-28-2011, 4:57 PM
I just and went and got a load today, I think I misestimated when I said 600bf, I got 262 today and didnt put a dent in the stack. Some of the 8/4 walnut is 13 " wide and almost 11 ft long and there are 6 boards about that size. I got the cherry and some of the walnut and some of the oak. The rest of the stack is mostly ash and walnut and a little oak. All is cut 5/4 and 8/4 with just a little 4/4. Mostly good lumber some splits and cupping but as good as i expected.

Scott T Smith
05-28-2011, 5:23 PM
Check it with a moisture meter. If it is within a point or two of what wood equalizes to in your shop, then it is ok to flat stack it.