PDA

View Full Version : Delta 46-460

Jim Slovik
05-28-2011, 9:10 AM
Yesterday I was able to pick up the two 46-460's that were purchased for the turning club at my wife's school. Holy cow!! Those are some nice machines. Before they came in we were using a donated Jet 1236 and I would bring my Jet 1220 from home each week. I like my 1220 but it just doesn't compare to the Delta. If you are considering purchasing a lathe in that size and price range, you won't be dissapointed with the Delta 46-460. I'd also like to mention that when I started the club, I got some help from a couple of people that are familar to this site. Mike Smith helped out with some bowl blanks for the kids which were greatly appreciated. And Doug Thompson..........just let me say that I don't think the club will need to purchase any turning tools in the foreseeable future. Two great guys that really care about the kids. My thanks to them and to all of you. I'm constantlt looking at this site and bringing many of your ideas and techniques to the club.

John Keeton
05-28-2011, 10:24 AM
Jim, having been a prior owner of the 46-460, I can echo your comments. Had it not been for the "gotta go bigger" thing, I would still own my Delta. In fact, even with the 1642, there are times I get a longing for the Delta - great lathe!

And, you are dead on with Doug Thompson and Mike Smith! Both great supporters of the creek, in contests, and in other ways as well. We have a lot of great folks here - beginners, experienced turners, vendors, etc. Just no place like SMC!

David E Keller
05-28-2011, 11:04 AM
Sounds like a great setup! You've just given me another reason(not that I needed one) to continue buying Doug's tools. I haven't made a purchase with Mike Smith yet, but it's on the to-do list... I'm just trying to figure out how to convince him to sell me the Keeton walnut.

Steve Schlumpf
05-28-2011, 11:06 AM
Congrats on your new lathes! Sounds like you have a pretty cool club setup! I would be interested in hearing a little more about it!

Jim Slovik
05-28-2011, 11:48 PM
Steve,
The class is held at the middle school were my wife is the Technology Education teacher. As stated above, we started with two lathes which limits how many kids can turn. We meet once a week for 1 to 1 1/2hrs. depending on the bus schedule. I start each of them off with a pen to gauge their interest. Everybody that turned a pen has returned to do more. My intention was to do a pen to grab their attention then go on to teaching them how each tool is used, tool control, etc. After the first pens were turned my wife threw me a screwball. Since she was taking students to the "Skills USA" competition for several other classifications, she decided to ask the turning kids if they wanted to compete in the woodworking competition. Well, two of them wanted to enter and I went into panic mode because I had very little time to teach them the basics much less make a project worthy of the competition. So the kids decided on what they wanted to turn and I did my best to help them accomplish the task. One student turned a small walnut lidded box and the other turned a walnut natural edge bowl. They finished their projects just in time for the big day and I have to say, I thought they did an outstanding job. Apparently the judges thought so too because out of thirteen middle schools the kids placed first and third in the state. I was so proud I thought I was going to bust. So, now that the competition is over, it's back to the basics. I want them to experiment with the tools to see what they will and will not do. I'll teach them some cuts and let them practice them before we move onto something else. I'd like them to have a good foundation before we start on more projects. Since they're kids, I'll have to find the balance between learning and fun. We will only meet one more time this year but I'm excited about next year already. If there is anybody that has suggestions for the club I'd love to hear them. By the way, so far, all of the turners are girls. I guess the fact that my wife is the "shop teacher" gives the girls a reason to try something that would typically be seen as something that only the boys would be interested in.
Jim

John Keeton
05-29-2011, 6:12 AM
I predict the word will get out, and next year you have a new class of super excited kids - and, that there will be boys in the mix!