PDA

View Full Version : Who are YOU remembering this Memorial Day?

Matt Ranum
05-28-2011, 8:48 AM
Its Memorial Day weekend, so who are YOU remembering this Memorial Day?

I am remembering my Dad and 2 of his brothers, one was a Sea Bee in North Africa and the other went in during Normandy and walked all the way to Berlin. Dad served in the Air Force during Korea but was stationed in Greenland. We lost him to multiple cancers June 25, of last year.

Miss you Dad!

Dave Anderson NH
05-28-2011, 9:48 AM
I am remembering many of my friends and fellow Marines whose names are permanently engraved on a black granite wall not far from the Lincoln Memorial. For me this is not a joyfull time of year. It brings back too many memories of young men I knew who never got the chance to enjoy life, raise families, and whose lives were cut short. They died half a world away from home and their loved ones. It is a rare day that I do not think of them and I will forever honor their memory, because as long as they are remembered, they will live forever. Enjoy your families, picnics, and other events this weekend, but do not forget the real purpose of this long weekend. As long as we remember and honor their memories, they will live forever.

This is a link to the post I made last Memorial Day weekend listing some of the finest men I ever knew. http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?141173

A veteran is someone who at some point in their life wrote a blank check payable to the United States of America for any amount up to and including their life.

Belinda Barfield
05-28-2011, 10:20 AM
Its Memorial Day weekend, so who are YOU remembering this Memorial Day?

I am remembering my Dad and 2 of his brothers, one was a Sea Bee in North Africa and the other went in during Normandy and walked all the way to Berlin. Dad served in the Air Force during Korea but was stationed in Greenland. We lost him to multiple cancers June 25, of last year.

Miss you Dad!

Not to nit pick, Matt, but it seems I have this discussion with at least one or two people every year.

Armed Forced Day - the day we honor those who are serving.
Memorial Day - the day we remember and honor those who died in service to this country, and honor what those lives have provided for us.
Veterans Day - the day we honor our veterans.

Ken Fitzgerald
05-28-2011, 10:35 AM
Memorial Day didn't mean as much to me 40 years ago as it does today. I think of my childhood friends and classmates who died in Vietnam, other Veterans who died in other conflicts/wars and will never experience the joys I have experienced...... I weep for them and feel guilty.

Freedom isn't free.......and a few paid a terrible price so the rest of us might enjoy it.

Mike Henderson
05-28-2011, 12:12 PM
Not to nit pick, Matt, but it seems I have this discussion with at least one or two people every year.

Armed Forced Day - the day we honor those who are serving.
Memorial Day - the day we remember and honor those who died in service to this country, and honor what those lives have provided for us.
Veterans Day - the day we honor our veterans.

I suppose I have a broader definition of Memorial Day than only those who died in service to their country. In addition to death, it may be the loss of limbs, or sight, traumatic brain injury, PTSD or... suffered in service to our country.

Eric Maria Remarque stated it well in his dedication to "All Quite on the Western Front" - This book is to be neither an accusation nor a confession, and least of all an adventure, for death is not an adventure to those who stand face to face with it. It will try simply to tell of a generation of men who, even though they may have escaped its shells, were destroyed by the war.

Mike

Charlie Reals
05-28-2011, 5:46 PM
Who I will remember on May 30, 2011.
I will remember, salute and toast all those who died in the service of our country. I actually think about those folks on most days of the year in light of our times.
Now I will speak of whom I truly will remember. I will remember my Grandfather.
Yes My Mom and Dad are in my thoughts also but this is my Grandfathers day.
I was raised calling this day Decoration day /Memorial day, the dates had not been set by law yet, we didn't need a law or a three day holiday which is pretty much what it has been since 1967. I had the past and memory of WWII kept forefront in my sight at every turn'
This year it happens to fall on the correct day which is May 30th. It is also the sixtieth anniversary of my Grandfathers Death which happened to also be his thirty third wedding anniversary .
I remember that day like it was yesterday..., in my mind it is.
It is the day that changed the Reals Family forever. There is only one other person alive who remembers it from being there , my aunt Juanita.
Charlie Reals was well known. When WWII was going he had an open house to all GI's at all times. Being a farmer and livestock man meant he was able to put on feeds with the freshest of meat and produce in the days of rationing. He was also a shipyard worker and bargeman and helped build Treasure Island for the 1939 fair.
The southern Pacific tracks were at the back of the "Farm" and he welcomed many hobos who would stop off and work for food. This in east Oakland Ca. in sight of steel mills and ship yards.
In my Fathers eyes and in mine also as the only grandchild to know Charlie Reals, the sun rose and set on him. I have missed him every day for sixty years.
I remember My Father before this day, WWII took part of his mind at a place named Pellileau. My Grandfathers death took his heart. He was a good man and father but his mind was in another time, at least with me.
My Mother was my guide,She was an Army O R nurse at Camp Stoneman Ca. When the ammo ship exploded at port Chicago Ca. She led me in dealing with my Father until it reached a point he and I would not be close.
My Dad, Charlie Reals, was also well known and loved by most who knew him, or not, that is up to the individual.
Yes, I will remember all of them but this day is reserved for my Grandfather. I have a new bottle of Jack Daniels honey whiskey to be opened on Monday. His memory will die with me.
Charlie Reals
As a side note, in a bar room fight during WWII my grandfather ,at 44 years old, knocked a Marine to the ground out cold. When told the Marine was seventh fleet heavy weight champ,his remark was" not anymore". So I would say he was worth remembering.

Belinda Barfield
05-29-2011, 7:53 AM
Point taken Mike.

Mike Null
05-29-2011, 8:22 AM
I too, remember it as Decoration Day. A solemn day, and as I recall, back in the late 40's and 50's, pretty much universally observed. For me it's remembering my Dad and 11 uncles and one cousin who served in WWII. And a younger uncle who served in Korea. All came home, but not in the condition they went. Most were infantry, one a corpsman and my Dad and my favorite uncle, Army Air Corps. All but my Dad, with 3 small kids, enlisted. So he was drafted in 1942 a few months after my mother had passed on.

None of this group had ever been outside Ohio so serving opened their eyes to new places and people but they came home and resumed life as if they hadn't been gone and I never once heard any war stories.

None were heroes, at least as far as medals were concerned. But, when called they stood tall and did their job.

They are all gone but not forgotten by this 75 year old who was about 8 when they served.

I should mention my best friend who was older than me. He served also and on D Day landed as a corporal and by the time the day had ended he was a lieutenant. He would tell us a lot of funny stories about his time in the Army but never war stories. He was a hero--but he didn't tell us--we didn't find out until his funeral. With Tom, I somehow wasn't surprised.

And then there's my sweet daughter whom we lost about a year and a half ago. For me and her stepmother everyday is Memorial Day.

Bill Clark De
05-30-2011, 7:42 AM
I had a uncle who a judge decided in 1938 would be a better Marines than civilian or in his case convict ... after world war two and Korea and 25 plus years he left the corps...
although i doubt if he ever truly left- ... he had many metals including a Bronze star and badly burn back from mortar fire.
As already said he like many true combat veterans had lots of humours Marine experiences but absolutely, never any war stories.. I recalled at wedding when we both were much older i tried to extract the facts of how he got the bronze star and he just clouded up and only said .."I paid too much for it"... Because of him and his example me and several other family members joined the Corps and stood our watch on the wall of freedom ...
He has been gone many years now .Semper
FI

Joe Mioux
05-30-2011, 9:02 AM
my dad and mom. I took that rose arrangement out there this morning.

The second image shows the back side of the stone. In Illinois every veteran receives a bronze plaque that can either be placed flat on the ground or applied to the stone. The monument company attached the plaque to the stone this past week.

The boy scouts place flags at every veteran's grave.

Shawn Pixley
05-30-2011, 10:46 AM
I will salute every person who has died for their country. The last members of my family to do so were in the Civil War (members on both sides). The others who served in subsequent wars and service made it through unscathed. I just missed the Vietnam Draft.

Let us all hope that our leaders keep these sacrifices to a minimum and that we do it only for the right cause.

Mike Henderson
05-30-2011, 11:46 AM
...Let us all hope that our leaders keep these sacrifices to a minimum and that we do it only for the right cause.
Amen to that.

Mike

Dennis Peacock
05-30-2011, 12:21 PM
Today, I remember all those Veterans who have gone on before me. I hope to see them again one day...when my time on earth is done.

Head and Heart bowed to every single veteran who has been placed "at rest".

Honor, Respect, and Dignity to all who gave it all for this country.

Ted Calver
05-30-2011, 12:40 PM
Remembering all those who served. Lots of names on that wall....and other names on pieces of marble and granite scattered all over the world....and don't forget those lost or buried at sea.....and those still serving today....and wounded warriors..... it's such a long list and gets longer each year.

Michael Mills
05-30-2011, 1:56 PM
There are many I remember on this day, however, it is not just limited to those who gave their lives even though the day is for them. For some reason my thoughts ramble and I think of those who served and came back as well as an offering a prayer for those still serving. For me, all three get intermingled even though I know each has their own “day”.
Matt,
Thank you for starting this thread.
I started one at an American turners association a few years ago. The only thing I could find appropriate at the time was a poem about veterans, needless to say I was corrected very quickly by a number of people.
I'm not surprised that “Proper Holiday Observance Officers” usually never start a thread on their own or even express any sentiment.

Matt Ranum
05-30-2011, 5:17 PM
Thanks for input everyone. May God Bless all who have ever worn the uniform and may God continue to watch over those that still do.

Paul McGaha
05-30-2011, 7:01 PM
God bless those that died in service to our county, and their families.

I'm very grateful. I'm sure we all are.

PHM

Ronald Nelson
05-30-2011, 8:02 PM
David Timm, Tom Moore, Johnson Milligan; all fellow Vietnam helicopter pilots and the best this country had. My Uncle Kenny who was a B-25 tailgunner in WWII who died when a bomb got stuck in his bomb bay and exploded. I never got to meet him. I think of these guys every day.

Jim Rimmer
05-30-2011, 9:37 PM
I remember all those who gave the ultimate so I can sit here today and, in peace and without fear, communicate with friends on the Creek I have never seen in person. Though this day is dedicated to those who died in service to their country, I also remember the WWII veterans who are passing at thousands per day. And I also pray for those who are on the point of the spear today.

God Bless America and God Protect Our Troops.

Kevin Gregoire
05-30-2011, 11:14 PM
actually, i remember them all and thank God for every one of them!

http://i55.tinypic.com/kdjv5d.jpg

http://i55.tinypic.com/10faull.jpg

http://i53.tinypic.com/ekhmhx.jpg

http://i53.tinypic.com/15qxjys.jpg

W Craig Wilson
06-04-2011, 1:20 PM
There are a number of specific names in my memory too, not the least of which are some lost in service outside of armed confilct:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/d/d7/Eagle_Claw_Memorial.JPG

Jim Koepke
06-04-2011, 1:49 PM
I say a prayer for all those who gave their all, for those who have served and those now serving. Especially my father who served in WW II and left us just a few years ago.

I tend to stay home and observe this as a day of remembrance, not a day to get a good price on the latest thing I do not really need.

jtk