PDA

View Full Version : Remodel question...

Kirk (KC) Constable
02-08-2005, 8:14 AM
...sort of. When we built the house, we connected the master bedroom and den with a doorway, no door. As we walk from the den into the bedroom, we have a walk in closet immediately on the left. To the right is a 27" x 68" space originally intended for LOML's big dresser. At some point, my daughter lived with us for a time, and we closed the doorway with a bookcase affair on the den side and made that a 'bedroom'. Also along the way, the dresser found a new home...so it's not sitting in that space. LOML has had me take out the bookcase and open it up again as I replace the flooring. Problem is, we'd filled the bookcase up, and need that type of thing back again. With the former dresser location, I have a perfect spot for a 'built-in' of some sort...maybe a 'dresser' with a bookshelves on top, or another closet. A closet would just be a gathering place for junk, so it would seem a drawer/shelving unit is in order. Question is, do I make it a true 'built-in', or whip out a snazzy piece of furniture to go there? Were it up to me, I'd lean toward the built-in...LOML would go with the furniture. As usual in these kind of things, she leaves it up to me. :(

So I come to the group for help. That little area made the bedrooom 'feel' much larger than it is...something that'll probably be lost whichever way I go. Any encouragement one way or the other?

KC

Lee Schierer
02-08-2005, 9:07 AM
My experience is that built ins take up slightly less floor space than furniture that does the same function, since the wall takes care of the tipping problem caused by narrow bases and excessive height and possibly a top heavy load. Built ins don't rearrange well, so if you like moving furniture about or have plans to move in the future and can't stand the thought of some one painting your woodwork, then furniture is the way to go.

Jim Becker
02-08-2005, 9:18 AM
It's more of a "look" thing for me...furniture in a niché vs something custom to the space. Both are valid, depending on your home decor preferences. A mesquite piece in-set into wall with a little space around it for shaddow lines could be a beautiful thing.

If you go built-in, I'd do the "internal" carcass in the shop, insert it in the space fully configured and then deal with the face frame so you can scribe it exactly to the space.

Jeff Sudmeier
02-08-2005, 9:22 AM
As others have said.. the built in will probably make the room look much bigger than it is. You can go with a much narrower and taller case, without stablity problems. If it were me, I would go with the built in and hope that you don't want to move it! :)

Kirk (KC) Constable
02-08-2005, 11:12 AM
Thanks for the input. The stability issue was a concern to me...and that probably oughta settle it. I think what I'll do is a 'built-in' attached to the walls and all the way to the ceiling, but sit the whole thing on top of the wood flooring. That way if we decide to rip it out someday, the floor will be there and all I'll have to worry about is patching some holes in the wall.

KC

Don Henthorn Smithville, TX
02-08-2005, 9:57 PM
Of course another thought has to do with posterity. The things which you build will likely become family heirlooms that will be passed down to descendents after you are gone. You do intend to go sometime in the future, don't you? No kidding, some things do get handed down from generation to generation and built-ins are not among these things.

Dave Avery
02-08-2005, 10:39 PM
I'm with Don....... another related consideration is that furniture moves with you, built-in's don't.

William Lai
02-09-2005, 12:09 AM
To throw in my few cents: I've always liked built-in. There's something to be said for pieces that's custom tailored to suit your space. Built-in is definitely a more efficient use of space, as well as allow you to have one continuous expanse of floor, and thus make the room feel larger than it really is. The ultimate built-in environment for me would be either a boat cabin, or an oaky english library with walls of custom bookshelves.

Kirk (KC) Constable
02-09-2005, 12:46 AM
We don't plan on moving...and if we do, it'll be to a new house on the same property...and LOML has already said if we ever DO build again, she wants ALL built-in dressers and such.

I used to be big on building EVERYTHING, just because I could. I've got enough going on now that even throwing togtether a built-in unit is gonna take time away from other 'heirlooms' that need building.

KC

Norman Hitt
02-09-2005, 2:29 AM
Thanks for the input. The stability issue was a concern to me...and that probably oughta settle it. I think what I'll do is a 'built-in' attached to the walls and all the way to the ceiling, but sit the whole thing on top of the wood flooring. That way if we decide to rip it out someday, the floor will be there and all I'll have to worry about is patching some holes in the wall.

KC

I like this idea.

Mike Mastin
02-09-2005, 7:22 AM
....then they have all the heirlooms(ie built-ins) and a house to boot ;)