PDA

View Full Version : bowling alley shine

Harry Goodwin
05-27-2011, 9:58 PM
Been on other parts of the forum for a long time but first question here showing my lack of expertise. I eat in several restaurants that have a tremendous apparently durable bowling alley shine on their tables. How is it done with what.? Thanks. Harry

Scott Holmes
05-27-2011, 11:13 PM
Well I'm guessing you are talking about a high gloss finish. Bowling alley lanes actually have an oil applied to them every day. I doubt you want a wet oily finish.

If you are asking about the finish that looks about a 1/4" thick or thicker it is most likely a two part epoxy finish that is poured on the tabletop. It's durable; but is not so good in direct sun light.

Howard Acheson
05-28-2011, 12:04 PM
Been on other parts of the forum for a long time but first question here showing my lack of expertise. I eat in several restaurants that have a tremendous apparently durable bowling alley shine on their tables. How is it done with what.? Thanks. Harry

Bowling alleys used to be coated with oil based varnish and then mopped with oil every day or two. I don't know what they are coated with these days.

As Scott said, the tables might be a pour on epoxy finish (google "pour-on epoxy). Now days many are coated with two part polyester finishes which needs to be professionally applied.

Steven Hsieh
05-28-2011, 6:20 PM
Hey Howard

What do they use these days for basket ball court?
water based polyurethane?

Chris Fournier
05-28-2011, 8:44 PM
That shine takes really big balls to achieve!

James Patrick
06-03-2011, 4:53 PM
I'll have to second the idea of a pour on epoxy finish. A friend of mine, for whatever reason, decided to use it on his wall panels (http://www.designerpages.com/search/products?query=wall+panels). I'm still not sure what he was thinking, but it was, for sure, the shiniest room I've ever been in.