PDA

View Full Version : Nuther Pedestal Vase

John Hart
05-27-2011, 9:22 PM
Ok..here's my first completed piece from my vacation. Walnut, Curly Maple, and Teak. It is 16"X6", very light, and finished with lacquer (hic! oops..:o) And I have a few more coats to go I think.

A lot of fun. The teak is such a pleasure to turn, except the shavings and sanding dust stick to everything. But anyway...here it is. Please grace me with your scathing critiques. Thanks for peekin' :)

David E Keller
05-27-2011, 9:44 PM
Looking good, John. That curve at the top of the form is as sweet as it gets. Something looks funny near the base of the form... Is there a white line between the foot and the detail just above it? I hope your turncation continues to be rewarding!

John Hart
05-27-2011, 9:46 PM
Looking good, John. That curve at the top of the form is as sweet as it gets. Something looks funny near the base of the form... Is there a white line between the foot and the detail just above it? I hope your turncation continues to be rewarding!

Thanks man. It was a lot of fun I tell ya. ;) No..that's just lights glaring off the lacquer.

Ed Morgano
05-27-2011, 11:18 PM
John,
That was exactly what I was going to turn next....you stole my idea!!!! hahaha! It's great! I'll get there someday. Still in practic mode right now. Keep 'em coming.

Steve Schlumpf
05-27-2011, 11:57 PM
John - looks like a nice variation on your theme! All the colors seem to work together well and I like the top cove area of the neck. Are you turning another one tomorrow? Looking forward to seeing it!

John Hart
05-28-2011, 6:16 AM
Thanks folks!! One thing is for certain....I LOVE doing these. They capture my analytical side, as well as creative side. I get to reflect what we all do as turners, and do lots of engineering. They are just plain fun. :)

Now, I'll tell ya, I'm having an awful time with photography on these forms. They are so tall, and my photobooth barely handles them, so I have to get too close and it distorts everything. This piece and my last piece look 10 times better in person, and the proportions are fine. But in the pics, it seems to lack flowing curvature and the foot looks "off". It's driving me nuts!!!

John Keeton
05-28-2011, 7:44 AM
Nie work, Hart! These things are growing on me, and I like the overall proportions of this one much better than some of the previous ones.

Since you are going to be doing another, I wonder what a similar piece would look like if perhaps there was a little wider base plate with a concave sweep, but no cove before the swell? Then replicate in the pedestal, the convex/concave curve coming off the form vs. the modified onion. On the top of the pedestal, perhaps have it flow somewhat differently into the bottom of the form. Just some thoughts. I enjoy watching what you do with these "stacked" pieces, as they are giving me some ideas for another cremation urn!!

Roger Chandler
05-28-2011, 7:51 AM
VERY "Hart-ish" .............you have the form down to a science.............nearly perfection............certainly displays your considerable skills! I do not understand your rationale for the saucer type lip at the bottom of the stem.................just wondering what your thinking is on this...........

Tim Thiebaut
05-28-2011, 7:59 AM
Another great looking piece John, this reminds me of something...I am not sure what but it seems familiar to me somehow. Anyway, I love the form, and the woods go well together, looking forward to seeing what else you come up with the next few days.

Roland Martin
05-28-2011, 10:42 AM
Very nice, John. I especially like the upper portions, the way it flares out gracefully. Thanks for sharing.

Curt Fuller
05-28-2011, 10:50 AM
John, I'm not sure what you call it, but I really like that design you have at the base of your pedestal. My 'scathing critique' would be that the actual base seems too small, both proportionally to the rest of the piece and practically for keeping it from being tipsy. I'm not sure the effect of lacquer on the brain's ability to perceive proportion but if it makes things look bigger than they actually are, you might try plugging one nostril while turning the base. If it's the opposite maybe you could take an extra huff. You might have to ask Alice on that one though. I really like the top of the form.

Wally Dickerman
05-28-2011, 3:55 PM
Hey John, you're getting good with this form. Very nice. A suggestion for the next one...Turn the pedestal just a wee bit thinner and turn a bead of some sort about 2/3 up from the bottom. Try it...you might like it. If you don't, turn the bead off.

John Hart
05-28-2011, 7:13 PM
John - looks like a nice variation on your theme! All the colors seem to work together well and I like the top cove area of the neck. Are you turning another one tomorrow? Looking forward to seeing it!
I got started on another one...but spent most of the day copying Keith!! :)

Since you are going to be doing another, I wonder what a similar piece would look like if perhaps there was a little wider base plate with a concave sweep, but no cove before the swell? Then replicate in the pedestal, the convex/concave curve coming off the form vs. the modified onion. On the top of the pedestal, perhaps have it flow somewhat differently into the bottom of the form. Just some thoughts. I enjoy watching what you do with these "stacked" pieces, as they are giving me some ideas for another cremation urn!!

I must admit, I've having a little trouble following your suggestion, John. But I'll re-read it til I get it. The one thing that I love about these pieces is that they are constructed with all the suggestions I've read here over the years. You might say, they are a portrait. :)

VERY "Hart-ish" .............you have the form down to a science.............nearly perfection............certainly displays your considerable skills! I do not understand your rationale for the saucer type lip at the bottom of the stem.................just wondering what your thinking is on this...........

Well Roger, It was really just a suggestion from someone else about someone else's work. I just thought I'd try it that way this time. I can't say I'm crazy about it, so I probably won't do it again.

.....this reminds me of something...I am not sure what but it seems familiar to me somehow....

Thanks Tim. I think it reminds you of a pheasant. Don't ask me how I know this. Oh...If you turn it upside down, it looks like a goose!!

....My 'scathing critique' would be that the actual base seems too small, both proportionally to the rest of the piece and practically for keeping it from being tipsy. I'm not sure the effect of lacquer on the brain's ability to perceive proportion but if it makes things look bigger than they actually are, you might try plugging one nostril while turning the base.

Actually, Curt, I think you should inhale the lacquer until the base looks right. I sure would be a lot easier for me!!! :)
But seriously, this base is even larger than the last piece. I think it looks ok in person, but the pics make it look smaller. I gotta fix that setup.

Hey John, you're getting good with this form. Very nice. A suggestion for the next one...Turn the pedestal just a wee bit thinner and turn a bead of some sort about 2/3 up from the bottom. Try it...you might like it. If you don't, turn the bead off.

Cool idea Wally...I'll give a go. Can't do it on the next one though. That one is incorporating another suggestion that places a bead below the onion. I figure I'm going to do about a thousand of these. The variations are endless.

Thanks everyone for all your comments and suggestions. I really do love this place. :)

David DeCristoforo
05-28-2011, 7:49 PM
"... no cove before the swell?"

Wasn't there a book by that name? Or maybe I heard someone say it...

"There will be no cove before the swell."
"Never put your cove before your swell."

Or something....

cal thelen
05-29-2011, 7:05 AM
looks great John! I love laquer makes everything shine so nice. Love the curves. I can see i need to start thinking outside the box alittle more.