PDA

View Full Version : Captive or articulated?

Richard Jones
05-27-2011, 7:09 PM
Well, wife and I were talking about hollowing systems, should I build one, etc., she says, why not just buy it? So..........

New Monster rig is in my sights, but do I want articulated or captive? Pros and cons of each? I guess I will be doing HF's, vases, etc. Plus I can use the laser with my McNaughton.

My lathe is a Jet 1642-2.

Thanks for helping me spend some $$$..............:D

Rich

Roger Chandler
05-27-2011, 7:37 PM
I have the articulated................from my research prior to getting it, the consensus was that the articulated was the easiest and smoothest to use.........I think unless you really want to go very deep, say over 15 inches, then the articulated will meet your needs. There are threads as to this discussion if you do a search.

Richard Jones
05-27-2011, 8:40 PM
Thanks, Roger, I was leaning towards the articulated as well. I did the search thing, just wanted to know if there was any fresh info out there that would be helpful. Upgraded laser, etc.

Thanks for the comeback.

Rich

Alan Trout
05-27-2011, 8:52 PM
Richard,

I have both. The articulated is good to about 6 or 7 inches I have pushed it to about 8 but was not much fun. If you want to go deeper than that I would suggest the standard captive unit. I like both but if I were doing deeper forms and could only have one it would be the Captive unit.

Good Luck

Alan

Jamie Donaldson
05-27-2011, 9:21 PM
You used the term Monster, and that is an excellent articulated system , or I wouldn't have bought it! By adding some of my old 3/4"captured system cutters I have easily hollowed to 15" and can easily recommend this hollowing system.

Steve Schlumpf
05-27-2011, 10:08 PM
Richard - I have both of the Monster systems and use them all the time! I use the captured for roughing out the forms and most of the finish hollowing then switch over to the articulated for all the final finishing cuts. Just how I use the systems! As to which one - really depends on the style of forms you want to create. The captured is limited in reaching areas when you want to undercut a shoulder area and the articulated is limited in handling depth but either system works well!

Bill Blasic
05-28-2011, 6:30 AM
I have both Monsters and I find myself using the articulated more than the other. The Monster comes with a great assortment of cutters and I purchased the attachment that allows the use of 3/4 shafted bars. I use the use the Kelton and Jordan Hollowers a lot.
Bill

John Keeton
05-28-2011, 7:31 AM
I have the Monster articulated system, and love it. I think the main thing to consider is patience. As with any type of work, one can go in like a bull, and you will have catches, roughness, and chatter. Or, one can enjoy the process (quite easy to do with the Monster) and end up with a well finished piece. Take your time, consider the cutting angles, and always remember that the less metal you have on the wood, the smoother the cutting. When it comes to a finish cut, reverse that thinking and use a larger cutter with very light passes.

I have no experience with a captured system, but I find that the delicate feel of the ariticulated system is effortless to use - very satisfying. It takes away the "work" of hollowing, but leaves the pleasure.

Gary Sichmeller
05-28-2011, 7:55 AM
I have the Monster articulated system. I use it on a Nova DVR XP. I agree with everyone's assesment of the articulated system, but one consideration should be the amount of swing space available off the back side of your lathe. The articulated system does not require as much space as a captive system. Like a lot of woodturners, my workshop space is at a premium. That space consideration was a big factor in making my decision to go with the articulated system.