PDA

View Full Version : First Turnings

Jeff Folkert
05-27-2011, 3:42 PM
OK so I promised some photos of my work and here it is. Two of them are from the same type of tulip popular and the third is from apple. Easy wood to work for a beginner. These are the first pieces that did not get thrown on the burn pile.

bob svoboda
05-27-2011, 4:01 PM
Nice forms, Jeff-they show some creative abilities. I especially like the center (vase) form. Well done.

John Keeton
05-27-2011, 4:05 PM
Jeff, I think you are well on your way! I agree with Bob on the vase form - very nice.

mickey cassiba
05-27-2011, 4:14 PM
Way better than my first. Way to go!

Steve Schlumpf
05-27-2011, 4:52 PM
Nice work on each of these Jeff! I too like the vase form best - has a very nice curve to it! Looks like you have the finishing portion down already - nice work on that! I have to say - you picked some fairly hard forms to turn - especially that first one!

Thanks for sharing! Looking forward to seeing what you turn next!

Roger Chandler
05-27-2011, 6:51 PM
welcome Jeff! nice forms, especially for a new turner...........looks like you are getting the hang of it!

David E Keller
05-27-2011, 10:05 PM
Nice little trio you got there, Jeff! I love the smooth curves in that vase form... Keep it up!

Kurt Misner
05-27-2011, 10:08 PM
Wow! Thanks for sharing. I noticed you were more daring with your vase wall thickness than I was with my first bowl. Bravo. I also applaud your hollowing on the first form. Nice photo work as well. As a beginner, I'm learning from all I see and that includes yours.

Jeff Folkert
05-31-2011, 8:03 AM
I probably should have given you some dimensions. The first two are about 7" diameter and 8" tall and the last one is about 6" diameter and 7"-8" tall. The last one the was got a bit thin....in some spots so thin you could see through...which was not my intention but it turned out great. When I first turned the apple it was nice and white with contrasting dark spots which I really loved, but as it dried out more it turned darker...still a nice piece but not as nice as the white color that attracted me to it in the first place.

Jim Burr
05-31-2011, 10:06 AM
Some very nice work there Jeff. What did you learn in the process? Do you see yourself drawn to a particular form yet? Just asking!

Jeff Folkert
05-31-2011, 10:13 AM
Still a lot to learn and experimenting with the forms. I have not found one that I am particularly drawn too yet but once I do I will know it I am sure.

Dan Forman
05-31-2011, 12:24 PM
Looks like you decided to skip the easy beginner stuff and start right off on your PhD. :) Well done. If your burn pile isn't rather large, I'm kind of scared. :eek:

The poplar is rather colorful for what I'm used to seeing.

Dan

Rob Cunningham
05-31-2011, 12:31 PM
Nice looking turnings for your first ones. Did you color the poplar or is that the natural color?