PDA

View Full Version : Book Case Design Considerations

Rick Hubbard
02-08-2005, 6:45 AM
I am preparing to refurbish my office/den/study. The major part of the project will be the construction of enough bookcases to accommodate about 2,200 books.

My question is this: Why are the vast majority of commercially manufactured bookshelves 12” deep? This seems like a monumental waste of material when one considers that the vast majority of hardbound books are between 6 and 8 inches wide (and that most trade paperbacks are even smaller). Is there some intrinsic design theory of which I am unaware?

In any case, my intent is to construct all but one my cases with 8 inch deep shelves. If the arithmetic is right, it seems to me I will reduce my material requirements by 30%.

Comments, anyone?

David Fried
02-08-2005, 7:49 AM
My last project was a bookcase for my son and I made the shelves 9.5" deep. I varied the spacing of the shelves from 14" at the bottom down to 10" at the top. It's only 32" wide but made of Oak. I was shocked at how much it weighs!

Bart Sharp
02-08-2005, 8:09 AM
I am preparing to refurbish my office/den/study. The major part of the project will be the construction of enough bookcases to accommodate about 2,200 books.

My question is this: Why are the vast majority of commercially manufactured bookshelves 12” deep? This seems like a monumental waste of material when one considers that the vast majority of hardbound books are between 6 and 8 inches wide (and that most trade paperbacks are even smaller). Is there some intrinsic design theory of which I am unaware?

In any case, my intent is to construct all but one my cases with 8 inch deep shelves. If the arithmetic is right, it seems to me I will reduce my material requirements by 30%.

Comments, anyone?

I think the main reason is that commercial bookcases are by and large designed to be free standing. If they made them any narrower, the chances of one tipping over (and the associated liability) would increase.

I completely agree with you, dedicated built-in bookcases should be much shallower than that. I might recommend you incorporate at least one step-back, with deeper shelves on the bottom for any large reference or coffee-table type books.

Jim VanBramer
02-08-2005, 10:31 AM
I just built one for my daughter and made it 12" deep. That was because along with books it's going to house a small stereo unit, and if I know my daughter she'll also display some of her doll collection in front of the books as well.

Every application is different ... in your case a narrower shelf seems to make sense. Good luck.

Jim V

Byron Trantham
02-08-2005, 10:43 AM
Liability issues aside, I imagine commercial builders don't want to waste material (even multiple for 48" stock) AND a 12" shelf will definitely accommodate any book. Just a thought.