PDA

View Full Version : Recent Gloats...

Jim Becker
02-07-2005, 10:06 PM
...and the obligatory photos. I haven't bought much lately (and I've been cutting back); the first two were actually ordered "some time ago" and the latter, well came from a tip from another SMC-er

Festool OF 1400 router. I fell in love with this machine back when I wrote my pre-release review (http://sawsndust.com/r-of1400-p1.shtm)in October 2004. This is one sweet machine and I look forward to many years of use. (There was even a note in the box that the company would be forwarding, at no extra charge, the guide bushing adapter to use "standard" guide bushings as soon as they had more in stock)
There are just some times when having better protection from fine dust when I'm turning is useful, not to mention a more comfortable mask to wear when it's hot and humid. This Trend setup will fill that bill. Thanks to John M, I caught a great deal for $219...the backorder finally shipped.
Thanks to Bruce Page who tipped me off on this auto drain system for my IR compressor. (it would work with any compressor for that matter) Although I'm not an EBAY shopper, I could not pass this up...$50 plus shipping. Brand new...sells for a LOT more at the retailers. It will be a bit before I get it installed as I need to do a few other things first, but I have it "in stock" and ready to go.

Scott Coffelt
02-07-2005, 10:15 PM
Looks fun Jim.

OK, I've not gotten my hands on one of those 1400's yet, but I am working to get one ordered within the next few weeks. The big question I have is use with a Leigh D4, does it come with the proper bushings for use?

Jim Becker
02-07-2005, 10:18 PM
Scott, you will need to provide your own bushings but Festool is going to be providing the adapter plate for the base to hold them at no charge. (I bought one from Leigh for my OF 1010 for $20...) What's nice about the adpaters for the OF 1400 is that they just snap in...no tools, no fuss. Really easy.

Dave Malen
02-07-2005, 10:27 PM
Jim,
That 1400 looks sweet. Looking into one myself. But I'll have to wait as I just got a performax 22-44 (stealth gloat :D )
Dave

William Lai
02-07-2005, 10:27 PM
Jim, how does the auto drain valve works? Does it detect there's certain amount of water and then bleed, or is it timer based?

Frank Pellow
02-07-2005, 10:34 PM
Congratulations Jim, particularly on the router. I plan to buy a Festool 1400 router myself one of these days (probably before the end of March so that I can get it at the indro price).

Bruce Page
02-07-2005, 11:27 PM
Jim, my ADV is still sitting in it's package, I received a phone call last Friday telling me that there's been a delay at the IR plant, they will be shipping my new compressor on the 23rd. I ordered it on January 10th. :mad:

I hope I'm not getting jerked around, they've already hit my CC!

Nice router & hood!

Jim Ketron
02-08-2005, 12:54 AM
Nice score Jim!
Like you Ive been waiting on the Trend and I got it today. I think it will help our sinuses out a bunch.
Jim K

Mark Singer
02-08-2005, 1:07 AM
Jim ,

Nice stuff! Will the adapter take the Porter cable or Bosch bushings,,,,? Or will I have a 3rd bushing collection for my 1400 which I bought on your suggestion. Thanks! I really haven't tried it yet?:rolleyes:

John Lucas
02-08-2005, 1:12 AM
Jim ,

Nice stuff! Will the adapter take the Porter cable or Bosch bushings,,,,? Or will I have a 3rd bushing collection for my 1400 which I bought on your suggestion. Thanks! I really haven't tried it yet?:rolleyes:

Mark,
Both. They have a full range of adpater rings that mainly are made to fit in their VS600 and one that will be just for using your PC type adapters.
John Lucas
woodshopdemos

Jeff Sudmeier
02-08-2005, 8:23 AM
Congrats on the gloats. Be sure to let us know how you like the air sheild!

Jim Becker
02-08-2005, 8:33 AM
Will the adapter take the Porter cable or Bosch bushings,,,,?
The adapter plate I mentioned is specifically to use the PC-style/size guide bushings.

Pete Harbin
02-08-2005, 9:14 AM
Nice gloat...now, if I didn't have four routers already... :rolleyes:

John Miliunas
02-08-2005, 9:40 AM
Nice scores, Jim! One of these years, I'll need to get a "real" compressor and I'll check out one of those valves. As for the router, my story is similar to Pete's except, I don't have four already, but more like seven!:eek: Let us know how you like the Airshield in use. Have phun with all of them!:) :cool:

Jim Becker
02-08-2005, 9:41 AM
Nice gloat...now, if I didn't have four routers already... :rolleyes:
Didn't stop me... ;)

PC 7518 in the table. PC 7529 which was my first router. DW618 with three bases for general get-up-and-go, OF 1010 for light guided work and dovetails, and now the OF 1400 which will likely be the normal hand-held workhorse router in my shop. The PC 7529 will likely be sold at some point and the DW618, while staying around because I like it, will likely be dedicated to certain tasks or used as a convenient second machine for through dovetails, etc., with the Leigh jig. The Festool routers are going to be my main machine, both due to the reduced noise levels and excellent dust collection and because I really like how they feel in my hand. I have a plan... :)

JayStPeter
02-08-2005, 9:47 AM
Nice stuff Jim. I got the same note with my 1400.

I had a chance to do some stuff with the OF1400 this weekend. So far, I like it. It will take some getting used to though. Nothing bad, it's just a little different is all. My main fear on first inspection was that it would be top heavy and difficult to keep steady when edge routing. That fear was unfounded as the thing squats down so far it's easily as stable as my Bosch 1617 (if not more so with the handle arrangement).

I missed the drain thread. Can you point me to the correct seller? I think I need one based on the amount of water that came out during my semi-monthly draining this weekend. :rolleyes:

Jay

Mike Wilkins
02-09-2005, 10:35 AM
Is your cooking so bad that you have to wear a respirator in the kitchen?
Just kidding. Congrats on the new additions to the shop.

John Renzetti
02-09-2005, 2:13 PM
Hi Jim, That ADV looks interesting. I drain the tank on my IR on a regular basis but having an ADV would make things a lot simpler.
You got that on ebay. Any particular seller I should look for.
Router looks good. Why did I have this hunch after a certain "tuppertool" get together at your place, that another Festool router, this model, would find its way into your shop.
take care,
John

Randy Moore
02-09-2005, 6:30 PM
Is your cooking so bad that you have to wear a respirator in the kitchen?
Just kidding. Congrats on the new additions to the shop.
Nice gloat but I was wondering how big your shop is since you have a kitchen it? Man, I wish I just had a sink in my shop so that I could have some water to drink when I got thirsty.

Again nice gloat.

Randy