PDA

View Full Version : 1st Vagoblet :)

Trevor Howard
05-26-2011, 8:21 PM
Ok, this follows on from John Hart's thread about your first bowl, but this falls under the "first I am willing to show public"
A friend pushed me into the Vortex, unfortunately due to health problems right now he is unable to spend time in his shop and show me the correct way to do things. So right now I am winging it and sampling everything available to do with turning. I tend to try everything first before settling on one piece of turning I would like to perfect, even though I know perfection is unachievable.
The one piece I have achieved to somewhat satisfaction is ring holders, plenty of females in the family want one. But I wanted to try a Vase. Reading about hollowing tools, I made my first captive tool and set out to make a vase. Unfortunately, the carbide inset I had available was a metal machinist bit and triangular in shape. The tool worked great, the bit and operator not so, lots of tool marks. So after some research I found Jeff Nichols video about a drill bit. So that was mark II hollowing tool, worked 100% better but I need to perfect the grind. I was able to save the piece, still had tool marks but acceptable to me for a first. But the vase was too wide to save and too deep hollowed for a goblet, hence the Vagoblet. :D
2 coats of WOP (another first) and then just beeswax to finish.
5 1/2 tall, 3 5/8 hollowed, 3 3/4 diameter on the rim and 4" on the base diameter. Wood is Bradley pear (see my wood gloat from a month or so ago)
What I foresee happening with this piece, it is still green wood and warped just while waiting for WOP to dry. The knot in the side will probably crack and spread out. But I had fun and was conscious about safety.
If the pictures upload in the correct order, pic 3 will totally show how bad my tool control is with the marks I couldn't sand out in my lifetime. :o
I am posting this hoping it is taken in the fun it is meant to be and not to knock the great work shown on this site. The great work I see from some of you keeps driving me to learn, perfect and practice. I would ask for CC & how is my form, but I know most of what is wrong with this piece. :D
I am just trying to show some newbies like me there is a starting point and a learning curve, and yes I am ok showing my butt on this one.
I look forward to seeing all the humorous posts and I will take it in good fun. If this is so embarrassing to be on SMC I understand if the tread is deleted. :D

Jim Burr
05-26-2011, 9:06 PM
Nothing a little 50 grit gouge won't cure Trevor! You're on a roll...keep it up!

John Hart
05-26-2011, 9:18 PM
Hey man...You are ROCKIN'!!

I am posting this hoping it is taken in the fun it is meant to be and not to knock the great work shown on this site.

You gotta be kidding!!:D Sure there are some great turners here and I love looking at their work...but sheesh....they all started the same way. Just reading your post, I had flashbacks!! This is cool stuff Trevor. Fine lookin' "first". ;)

Baxter Smith
05-26-2011, 10:17 PM
May not be a beauty in your eyes but its every bit as functional as what your mind can envision. Definitely a keeper! ( could even "keep" your pencils in it for when you sketch out your next one!)

David E Keller
05-26-2011, 10:25 PM
Nothing wrong with that, Trevor. All of us turn things that we're not satisfied with... That's part of the fun! I don't think you or anyone else should be embarrassed to show their turnings here. Kudos on your first vagoblet!

Curt Fuller
05-26-2011, 10:31 PM
I think back to my firsts and many subsequent attempts at new ideas and only wish they all turned out that well.

But one thing for sure, "Vagoblet" is a term that I'm never going to be able to get out of my head now. You've certainly coined a new name for "one of those vessels" that I've never been able to tell if it was a vase or a goblet.!

bob svoboda
05-27-2011, 10:36 AM
Very nice. Keep up the good work.

Robert McGowen
05-27-2011, 11:06 AM
I think that it looks more like a Gobletase than the Vagoblets that I am more familiar with. :D

Trevor Howard
05-27-2011, 12:22 PM
Thanks for the kind comments guys. With the long weekend coming up and no Pool to open, I am hoping to get out and see what other creations I can come up with.
Have a great weekend everybody

Steve Schlumpf
05-27-2011, 1:40 PM
Trevor - looks pretty good to me! If you can put it back on the lathe some day - looks like you have enough wood left to play with and remove the tool marks. Looks like it would make for a sturdy holder of some sort - pencils, like Baxter mentioned, would work well!

Have fun turning! When we first start turning is when the imagination really is set free! Make the most of it before you learn too much and decide you "can't" turn something! Looking forward to seeing what's next!

John Hart
05-27-2011, 2:59 PM
Have fun turning! When we first start turning is when the imagination really is set free! Make the most of it before you learn too much and decide you "can't" turn something! Looking forward to seeing what's next!

I second that!! Enthusiastically!!!!! With zeal!!! and vigor!! Here Here!!! :)

John Keeton
05-27-2011, 4:16 PM
Trevor, I would have to say this piece shows some real promise! Your detail work is crisp, and the design of the base is pretty neat. As Steve says, this is the fun time - enjoy the experimentation. I don't care how many you turn, you learn something on every one of them. Keep at it, and keep posting them!