PDA

View Full Version : Largest turning I have done.

Terry Quiram
05-26-2011, 7:58 PM
I was contacted and asked if I could/would turn a couple of porch column bases. I joked and told the customer that 30" diameter was my max. He said that is ok the largest dia is 29".:eek: You can see small sections of the old base. They were pretty well rotted. Each base is made up in 3 sections. The wood is White Oak. Each assembled base weighs 104 lbs. The hardest part was all the glue ups. The Oak was 5/4 random width, cupped, twisted and bowed. Each piece had to be face jointed, run through the thickness planer, edge jointed and sawn for width on the tablesaw. The first layer was biscuit jointed together. I used Titebond 3. After the glue dried this layer was thickness sanded. The next layer was glued and screwed to the base layer. After the glue dried it was thickness sanded and repeated until I got the thicknesss I needed. The layers were different thicknesses. 2.25, 1.75 and 2.75.

John Keeton
05-26-2011, 9:38 PM
Terry, lot of work in those!! Great job on replicating the original profile on the posts, and the white oak should hold up well in the weather, too.

John Hart
05-26-2011, 9:51 PM
Wow. The neighbors just told me that when I get my giant lathe up and running, they are going to subcontract me for columns. I just don't know....

You did a really cool job on these Terry. I'll have to reference this thread if I get lassoed into this kind of thing.

Baxter Smith
05-26-2011, 10:02 PM
Nice job on those Terry. A lot of work! Guess it qualifies as a segmented turning!

David E Keller
05-26-2011, 10:31 PM
Nicely done! I hope you get a photo of the pieces once they're installed... I think that would be a cool keepsake.

Jim Leslie
05-27-2011, 12:30 AM
Curious as to the faceplate diameter you used; was that a 6" or 8" ?

Terry Quiram
05-27-2011, 7:23 AM
Jim

It is a Oneway 8" faceplate.

Robert McGowen
05-27-2011, 11:08 AM
That almost looks like work!

Steve Schlumpf
05-28-2011, 12:11 AM
Looks like quite the interesting project! Good job on laying everything out! Your customer is going to be real happy!