PDA

View Full Version : What Type of Leather Should I Use for Striking Buttons on Chisels?

Tom LaRussa
02-07-2005, 9:26 PM
I went looking for leather scraps today to make striking buttons for the chisel hands I'm working on.

What I found is a rather bewildering variety of stuff, all called leather:

different thicknesses
different processing
different animals
different parts of the same animal
raw vs tanned hides
etc.
I assume I need to use something that's relatively hard, but I can't even figure that out.

HELP!

Mike Chrest
02-07-2005, 11:21 PM
Tom,

What I've done in the past is go to Goodwill or Amvets and look for a big leather shoulder bag. You want something with full grain leather. It will be thick so you don't have to make a zillion washers:D . I used a big punch to cut the washers and carpenters glue. A $2.00 bag should fix up all your chisels. Well mabe not all the chisels you have;) .
Good luck,
Mike

Bob Smalser
02-07-2005, 11:59 PM
You can use anything.

But the best results come from vegetable-tanned tooling leather available on Ebay and from Tandy Leather.

It glues the best and finishes the best.

Old belts and shoes are usually chrome-tanned leather which is so full of salts it doesn't hold up as well to glue or finish.

And next time, you'll find it a whole lot easier to glue on your leather before you finish your handles on the lathe. Turns and sands just dandy right along with the wood.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=11538&highlight=chisels

Jerry Crawford
02-08-2005, 5:30 AM
how about non-traditional material? Why does it HAVE to be leather? Try something like nylon. Or an iron cap like a large spike head inset into the end. :D

Tom Scott
02-08-2005, 2:04 PM
how about non-traditional material? Why does it HAVE to be leather? Try something like nylon. Or an iron cap like a large spike head inset into the end. :D

Jerry...Jerry...Jerry...
Are you really proposing to take a nice 50+ year old chisel that has been lovingly restored with a custom turned cocbolo handle, and then nail a piece of neon orange plastic to the end? :eek:

Would you do this? I didn't think so...

Tom

Dan Gill
02-08-2005, 2:23 PM
I use only genuine Saskatchewan seal skin. :D

John Dingman
02-08-2005, 2:44 PM
Tom,

I'm with Bob on this one. Get it from Tandy Leather Company (http://www.tandyleather.com/)

John

Jerry Crawford
02-08-2005, 3:21 PM
Jerry...Jerry...Jerry...
Are you really proposing to take a nice 50+ year old chisel that has been lovingly restored with a custom turned cocbolo handle, and then nail a piece of neon orange plastic to the end? :eek:

Would you do this? I didn't think so...

Tom

:D OK Tom,.... I accept this as a challenge to my imagination .... and a "design opportunity" ;)

Given: an old flea market pickup chisle and the tools and materials found in your own wood shop;

Task: rehandle that chisel in a manner demonstrating an understanding of non-traditional design and cresative use of the materials;

Conditions: as set down by the chalanger & modified by the original thought; cocobolo (or similar), a nail, neon orange plastic and/or nylon ;

Standards: bring the tool back to an acceptable lever of usefulness for which it was originally intended.

:p
BTW - Tom L, PM me your address and i"ll send you a piece of heavy cowhide to make your buttons from

Tom Scott
02-08-2005, 4:08 PM
I use only genuine Saskatchewan seal skin. :D

I know there are lots of those Saskatchewan seals over at Eagle Mountain Lake, eh Dan? ;)

Tom

Dan Gill
02-09-2005, 9:56 AM
Yeah. They actually swim around the east coast, into the gulf, and up the Trinity.

Doesn't anyone remember Super Dave? He always used only genuine Saskatchewan seal skin bindings. I always loved the one where he was going to bungee jump off the world's tallest radio tower and got knocked off without the cords.

Tom LaRussa
02-13-2005, 11:13 PM
:D OK Tom,.... I accept this as a challenge to my imagination .... and a "design opportunity" ;)

Given: an old flea market pickup chisle and the tools and materials found in your own wood shop;

Task: rehandle that chisel in a manner demonstrating an understanding of non-traditional design and cresative use of the materials;

Conditions: as set down by the chalanger & modified by the original thought; cocobolo (or similar), a nail, neon orange plastic and/or nylon ;

Standards: bring the tool back to an acceptable lever of usefulness for which it was originally intended.

Jerry,

I'm confused. (Nothing new, I know.) Are you going to make this Franken-Chisel -- :eek: :p -- or are you challenging me to do it?

BTW - Tom L, PM me your address and i"ll send you a piece of heavy cowhide to make your buttons from
That would be awesome! :D :D :D

Tom LaRussa
02-13-2005, 11:21 PM
And next time, you'll find it a whole lot easier to glue on your leather before you finish your handles on the lathe. Turns and sands just dandy right along with the wood.
DOH!

I have that firmly in mind now. In fact, I applied the same principal to the ferruled Swan I did the other day. Put the ferrule on before cutting the end to length, then put the chisel back on the lathe to polish the ferrule.

WORKS GREAT!

Jerry Crawford
02-14-2005, 5:35 AM
Jerry,

I'm confused. (Nothing new, I know.) Are you going to make this Franken-Chisel -- :eek: :p -- or are you challenging me to do it?

Tom, that reply was directed to Tom Scott who was gently (& tongue-in-cheek I hope:p) chiding me for suggesting the use of mixed media. ;) I was just doing a fools over elaboration of the possibilities for coming up with the answer. Although, I do have an old Witherby and that piece of Snakewood :rolleyes: hmmmm?

Tom Scott
02-14-2005, 8:18 PM
Tom, that reply was directed to Tom Scott who was gently (& tongue-in-cheek I hope:p) chiding me for suggesting the use of mixed media. ;) I was just doing a fools over elaboration of the possibilities for coming up with the answer. Although, I do have an old Witherby and that piece of Snakewood :rolleyes: hmmmm?

Jerry,
Don't worry...definitely tongue-in-cheek prodding on my part.
Snakewood seems appropriate for a nice Witherby. I would suggest clear plastic and a bronze nail, though, instead of the neon orange. Just seems more fitting.

Tom Scott

Jerry Crawford
02-14-2005, 8:37 PM
I'll consider it Tom, but acquiring bronze is a bit hard this time of year. :p