PDA

View Full Version : Another piece destroyed on the lathe.

Bill Wyko
05-26-2011, 12:40 PM
I've been working on this Staved vessel for a few weeks now. Last night I was rounding out the inside of what would have been the top feature ring and top lip. I had it in my other set of cole jaws that I had put on my Oneway chuck. I guess I didn't pay attention to the grabbing power of the Oneway. About 30 seconds into my cut, this thing exploded into little pieces. I still haven't found all of them. It was a good thing I was turning into the end and not standing in front of the lathe, pieces hit everything from the light on the celing to shelves on the wall across the room. Once again I got luckier than the work I was doing. I've just had a run of bad luck I guess. Needless to say I had numerous "F" bombs go off as well. There was over 200 pieces in this part of the vessel, now I have to rebuild. It was looking so nice too, one of my best ever. You know what they say, "If at first you don't suceed, jump up and down on it and try again" Or something like that. :eek:
http://pic80.picturetrail.com/VOL2109/11908737/23809465/396943144.jpg
Here are a few of the pieces, the whole top feature ring is gone.
http://pic80.picturetrail.com/VOL2109/11908737/23809465/396943141.jpg

Rob Cunningham
05-26-2011, 12:46 PM
That's a shame Bill, it looks like it would have been a very interesting piece. Glad you didn't get hit with any shrapnel.

Wally Dickerman
05-26-2011, 12:56 PM
Sorry that your bowl exploded. Turning is a learning experience. Have you tried to figure out why it did what it did? IMO it's important that you do. It looks pretty fragile. Too much speed would be my guess. Centrifugal force can be pretty powerful.

Other possiblities. Using a scraper on thin walls would do it. Improper use of a gouge is another.

Quinn McCarthy
05-26-2011, 12:56 PM
DOHHHH!!!!!!

I hate when that happens. I have had that happen at least 5 times mostly on segmented stuff with a lot of time invested. I like the open seg stuff. Was that done with the seg easy jig?

Quinn

Bill Wyko
05-26-2011, 1:10 PM
Actually the feature ring was done by making saw cuts about 3/4 through a 1-1/2 inch board, 1/4 inch apart. Then applying edge banding to the open end and cutting off the remaining solid piece in the bandsaw. Now I can wrap it around a round piece of MDF and glue the top and bottom segmented ring to the feature ring. Then The edge banding is in the center of the vessel so from the outside I pour in inlace and super glue the inlace in place. Next I inject a colored eopxy into the inlace and turn it smooth. The feature ring had 56 segments before it blew up. As far as why it happened, I think it was due to the cole jaw being too tight. It's the only thing I can think of because I was applying pressure in the direction of the chuck so there was no leverage trying to pry it off from the side of the vessel. At least the bottom of the vessel wasn't attached yet. Here's a pic of the bottom 1/2.
http://pic80.picturetrail.com/VOL2109/11908737/23809465/396943744.jpg

Kyle Iwamoto
05-26-2011, 3:15 PM
Koa? Very nice...

Bill Wyko
05-26-2011, 3:27 PM
Thanks, looks like Koa but it's actually a wood called Tigrillo. The saw dust is very toxic though. Respirator is mandatory. It'll stou you cold in your tracks from breathing.

John Keeton
05-26-2011, 3:39 PM
Bill, me thinks it is time to take a break and work on a humidor!!!!!! I would have to just walk away - probably for several days.

Dick Wilson
05-26-2011, 3:46 PM
Bill, I am not a big fan of Cole jaws in general. For the captured piece to "feel" secure in the jaws you have to tighten down pretty good. There is a very fine line between just enough pressure and to much. The worst is expanding the jaws to capture a turning. Being it was a segmented piece all those glue seams are weak spots I would think. Keep at it, it looks like it will turn out great.

Bill Wyko
05-26-2011, 3:52 PM
John, I'm chuckling as I read your post. That's exactly what I'm going to do. I have a humi that has a deadline whereas the turning was just to try my hand at this feature ring technique. I also have a cutting board to build. I'll beat this thing into submission on a later date.:D