PDA

View Full Version : Edge bander Gloats

Thomas Prondzinski
02-07-2005, 9:23 PM
I was a the local Rocklers the other day. In the bargain bin they had two edgebanders,one said missing parts,the other said nothing so I bought both hoping to make one. Well one is all there and works and the other is missing the table and stud to hold the roll. I am contemplating selling the one that needs a table.

Thanks for looking Tom

Mark Singer
02-07-2005, 9:49 PM
I have the same one and it is a great machine!!!!

Jeff Sudmeier
02-08-2005, 8:19 AM
Congrats on the gloat!

Wouldn't it be easy to build a table for the second one? The reason that I ask is that you would probably get a lot more for it with a shop made table, than someone having to figure it out. You have a working prototype sitting right beside it :)

Jeff

Charlie Plesums
02-08-2005, 10:46 AM
How does this table-top edge bander compare with the hand-held units such as the Virutex unit sold by Grizzly (and others) - see www.grizzly.com/products/item.cfm?itemnumber=G7910 (http://www.grizzly.com/products/item.cfm?itemnumber=G7910)

Christian Aufreiter
02-08-2005, 7:02 PM
Congrats on your new tool, looks quite useful.
Is it a common/popular brand? I'm asking because I've never seen this type of edge bander here in Europe.

Regards,

Christian

Colin Gilkes
02-08-2005, 8:01 PM
Here's my edge banding machine :)

http://www.tefal.co.uk/tefal/database_images/linen_care_500/steam_irons/FV4180_img_middle.jpg

Jim Dunn
02-08-2005, 10:47 PM
Colin,
Is that a Westinghouse with the water injection and variable speed setting:p I have much the same unit and it runs on 110v ac @ 9amps. on the high setting:eek: Corners very well too:D
Jim

Matt Meiser
02-09-2005, 7:19 AM
Colin,
Is that a Westinghouse with the water injection and variable speed setting:p I have much the same unit and it runs on 110v ac @ 9amps. on the high setting:eek: Corners very well too:D
Jim

Just a guess, but Colin's is probably wired for 220. :D

Thomas Prondzinski
02-09-2005, 7:22 AM
Jeff Yes I think that is a good idea I will build a table for that one.
Charlie I think the one you referred to would be great for curves but harder for straight runs,you would have to clamp the shelf upright I think.
Christian this one is sold by Rocklers I have also seen one identical to it from Woodtek.

Tom

Matt Meiser
02-09-2005, 7:39 AM
Jeff Yes I think that is a good idea I will build a table for that one.
Charlie I think the one you referred to would be great for curves but harder for straight runs,you would have to clamp the shelf upright I think.
Christian this one is sold by Rocklers I have also seen one identical to it from Woodtek.

So how good of a deal did you get? Is this being discontinued?

I was looking at these the last time I was in Rockler, but afterwards I asked my wife to pick me up one like Colin's at Wal-Mart because of the price.

Mark Singer
02-09-2005, 7:46 AM
I have the same one and it is Freud...they must have it under different labels...

I like it a lot! I think it is made in Italy. I think I paid about $200.

Congrats on your new tool, looks quite useful.
Is it a common/popular brand? I'm asking because I've never seen this type of edge bander here in Europe.

Regards,

Christian

Thomas Prondzinski
02-09-2005, 7:46 AM
Matt these are not discontinued, we have a Rocklers in Minnesota that has a bargain area,which contains returns,I think from mail order. I frequent as much as possible as I have gotten alot of good deals. I got two for less than the price of one.

Tom

Christian Aufreiter
02-09-2005, 8:41 AM
Thanks, I'll try to find out if it's available here.

Regards,

Christian

Charlie Plesums
02-09-2005, 10:58 AM
Tom
The one with the table, like yours, is slightly cheaper, but it seems it would take more storage space (a significant concern in my shop). But yesterday I had to edge band some 8 foot tall bookcases (using my antique GE Steam and Dry edge bander) - no problem clamping the board on edge.

I have never used one like yours, but it seems that moving a 1 foot by 8 foot sheet through the machine might be harder than using the handheld unit. What do you think?

Of course, since this doesn't happen every day, maybe the Steam and Dry model is adequate, especially for a cheapskate like me.

Frank Pellow
02-09-2005, 1:49 PM
Congratulations. I would like one of those but the normal price at Rockler is about $250 and I have not been able to justify the expense.

(just to make feel bad) what did you pay for the one that is complete?

Jim McCarty
02-09-2005, 2:23 PM
Colin,
JimROTFLMAO!!

John Hulett
02-09-2005, 2:48 PM
Here's my edge banding machine :)

http://www.tefal.co.uk/tefal/database_images/linen_care_500/steam_irons/FV4180_img_middle.jpg
I have the same model! Paid about $6 at Target!:)