PDA

View Full Version : Photographic setups

Ed Morgano
05-25-2011, 11:29 PM
I have a question. I've noticed that some of you make very professional pictures of your work. I'm interested in knowing what equipment you have or whether you take your turnings to a professional photographer.

Steve Schlumpf
05-26-2011, 12:05 AM
Ed - there have been a number of threads on this subject, so do a few searches for additional info.

Here is one to check out: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?157276-Photographing-your-work-Questions

I have been photographing my work since I started turning in Oct 2004 and the equipment I use has changed along with my experience level. Presently I am using a Canon T1i DSLR, tripod, photo tent and a few daylight compact florescent lamps held in cheap clip-on shop reflectors. It is an ongoing learning process and can be every bit of a vortex as turning - so be warned!

Tim Thiebaut
05-26-2011, 12:39 AM
It is really pretty easy to get into Ed, if I can do it anyone can, I have only had my gear about 5-6 weeks now and am very happy with it. It took a little playing around to get things figured out, but once you get the hang of it, it is very easy. My photo tent kit cost me about $45 and that came with the photo tent, lights, and tripod....not the camera though you must supply this. Here is a link to the one I bought...the price has gone down even more since I bought mine...

http://www.amazon.com/Portable-Photo-Continuous-Lighting-PBL/dp/B001BAJLD0/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1306384293&sr=8-2

You will also need a gradient background, I dont have a link to that anymore...

John Keeton
05-26-2011, 6:06 AM
The gradient backdrop can be obtained here - http://www.phototechinc.com/graduate.htm Most folks get the #39 gray.

Ed, as Steve mentioned, this is a topic unto itself, and the variations are endless. Fellow creeker, Joe Aliperti, makes some beautiful pens, but also posts some phenomenal pics of those pens. He uses a long, timed exposure, and a high f stop (small shutter setting) to capture depth of field and detail. In addition, he uses no additional lighting other than shop lights.

Much of this will depend on the capabilities of your camera. Mine is a rather cheap Fuji, and while I can do manual settings, I am limited somewhat in my range of settings. A better camera would be a huge benefit, but that is a luxury that will need to wait for its time!!

Dan Hintz
05-26-2011, 7:03 AM
$40 ebay light tent with lights (haven't used them yet, I just stick it near a brightly lit window... seems to work fine), sheet of pure white packing paper from local moving truck store, $900 Canon T2i, and a whole lot of patience.

Johnny Taylor
05-26-2011, 10:49 AM
I've given up on the photo tent route, I find it too restrictive when trying to position lights. I currently use a graduated background with two cheap daylight spectrum photographic lights on stands bought from ebay. A digital SLR camera is definitely the way to go.

Bob Bergstrom
05-26-2011, 11:36 AM
I tape a piece of tack board to the wall on my front porch and bend it into an arc and tape that to the floor. I wait till it is late afternoon and have no direct sunlight on the area. Cloudy days are even better. Natural indirect sunlight works well.

Scott Hackler
05-26-2011, 12:01 PM
I use a piece of cream colored poster board and a desk lamp. Doesn't work very well and I have to change the color temperature and contrast in Paint Shop Pro, to make it look like real life. My set up (poster board, light, tripod ) is usually on the kitchen counter. Real inconvenient to get it out and take it down each time.

I plan on buying a large photo tent and several dedicated lights and move the whole setup to a semi permanent perch in the unfinished basement.

Ed Morgano
05-26-2011, 12:26 PM
Thanks to everyone for your input. I'm way ahead of where I was yesterday. I already have a good camera and trypod. I'll work on the rest a little at a time.

Jamie Donaldson
05-26-2011, 7:42 PM
My tutorial for the Phrugal Photo Studio is listed under the Tips menu on my website, JamieDonaldsonWoodturner.com It is best to use only 1 light source to eliminate multiple shadows and highlights, and also remember to KISS!