PDA

View Full Version : Saw blade gumming

Steve Horvath
05-25-2011, 7:29 PM
I have recently acquired a Dewalt RAS mod. MBF. I have completed all of the adjustment that are listed in the "Mr. Sawdust" book including a new table to his design. I have also installed a Forrest "Woodworker I" and blade stabalizer, however I am getting a resin build up on the left side of the blade as I cross cut with it. Any ideas on the resin build up or what I need to try and redo on the adjustment? Any help appreciated and thanks ahead of time. SWH

Chip Lindley
05-25-2011, 10:03 PM
Off hand Steve, my first thought is that the blade is skewed in the kerf. The blade is not exactly parallel with the direction of travel of the arm's carriage. With resin buildup on the blade's left side, that tells me the blade is angled slightly to the right as it tries to travel straight ahead. Re-tweak and see if things don't improve. Your MBF instruction manual should address adjustment of the motor spindle to be exactly perpendicular to the direction of carriage travel.

Lee Schierer
05-26-2011, 8:20 AM
Do you have blade stabilizers on one side or both sides of the blade. Some stabilizers are cupped, so using one will distort the blade. On a Forrest Woodworker I you should not need a blade stabilizer at all.

Matt Day
05-26-2011, 11:12 AM
Do you have blade stablizers on one side or both sides of the blade. Some stablizers are cupped, so using one will distort the blade. On a Forrest Woodworker I you should need a blade stablizer at all.

should or should not?

Lee Schierer
05-26-2011, 12:34 PM
should or should not?

Should not

Neil Brooks
05-26-2011, 12:52 PM
While I agree with Lee, in concept, ....

1) removing the stabilizer, swapping it to the other side of the blade, OR simply holding the blade steady, and rotating *just the stabilizer* on the arbor should let you know, quickly, if it was contributing to your problem;

2) I e-mailed the OP, offline, but ... my gut tells me that this is as simple (not the same as "easy") as hitting the adjustments for alignment, from start to finish, and being sure they're all correct.

And ... recommended the Jon Eakes book, as being better /for alignment/ than the venerable and wonderful Mr. Sawdust book.

3) the biggest single help to me, in aligning MY MBF was the $40 I spent for a MasterPlate. I was skeptical, figuring it was a product in search of a market, but ... for me ... night and day difference in simplicity and how much accuracy I could get out of all of my tuning efforts.

4) On a 50+ year old RAS ... I might also recommend checking the arbor for runout. I don't remember the books talking about this, but ... obviously ... this could be a gremlin that makes ALL your efforts look successful, but ... your actual cut results ... be off.