PDA

View Full Version : Plane Storage cabinet/rack

Jim DeLaney
02-07-2005, 8:59 PM
Having moved into the new place last October, I'm just now getting some of the tools unpacked and organized. This plane storage rack/cabinet is a work-in-progress. I still have to build the face frame and (Lexan paneled) doors for it, but with all the other stuff I need to find appropriate homes for, it may be a while before I get that done...

Jim DeLaney
02-07-2005, 9:07 PM
The shelves are sloped at about 15°. and that's enough to easily hold the 5's thru 8's in place by gravity alone. As extra insurance, all the 3's, 4's, 5¼'s, and the 75, 90, 92, 93, 95, 98/99, 71 & 271, and the 140, as well as the 10¼ & 10½ are further secured by one or more 5/8" neodymium magnets countersunk and epoxied into the shelves.

Matt Meiser
02-07-2005, 9:20 PM
So Jim, each of these has a specific use, right? :D :D :D

John Weber
02-07-2005, 9:43 PM
Jim,

Nice collection.

John

Bruce Page
02-07-2005, 9:55 PM
Jim, very nice cabinet & collection. Did you have to reinforce the wall any? :rolleyes:

Dan Moening
02-07-2005, 9:59 PM
Nice work!
Easy accessable, nicely presented.

Curious though, would placing the 5-8s on the bottom make them easier to lift? Or does the height negate this? Or do you use the 3s/4s more and so place them closest?

So Jim, each of these has a specific use, right? :D :D :D Needs to be repeated :D

Must be picture paralax but the bottom shelf seems to sag from the weight.

And in other news "neodymium" means "rare earth".
The things you learn on these forums.;)

Doug Shepard
02-07-2005, 10:05 PM
MOMMMM
Can I go over to Jimmy's and play?

Nice collection dude.

Jim DeLaney
02-07-2005, 10:44 PM
...Curious though, would placing the 5-8s on the bottom make them easier to lift? Or does the height negate this? Or do you use the 3s/4s more and so place them closest?
Must be picture paralax but the bottom shelf seems to sag from the weight.

1. I suppose I could've gone either way with the locations, but this seemed the best froma 'common use' standpoint, with the exception of the 90, 92, & 93 which get a lot of use but are up high.

2. It's parallax. There's no sag (yet).

Actually, the 'daily-users' live on a shelf that's suspended over my bench. It's just a six foot long 'Closetmaid' 16" wide wire shelf, suspended from the ceiling via four threaded rods. A 603, 604, 4½, LV LA smoother, LN073, LN85, and several block planes live there.

Jerry Olexa
02-07-2005, 11:20 PM
I'm full of awe and envy. Outstanding collection AND great storage and display!!

Jim Dunn
02-07-2005, 11:35 PM
Jim,

Unless you got arms like Arnold how can you possibly use all those planes:) Way cool display/working storage cabinet system for your wildly complete set of hand tools. Wait a minute, what's that, a "metal" shelf bracket I gotta take off points!

Jim D. (too)

Terry Hatfield
02-07-2005, 11:41 PM
Jim,

Awesome collection and awesome job on the rack!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Man, that is so cool. Hope the wall can stand it. Recon what all them goodies weigh????

t

Jim DeLaney
02-08-2005, 7:36 AM
Jim,

...Hope the wall can stand it. Recon what all them goodies weigh????

t

It's probably something over 200 pounds. Figure two #8's at about 10#each, three #7's at about 9# each - that's aproaching 50# right there! then theres 6's, 5½'s, 5's - nine of them - another 50#, and the rest of the 4½'s, 4's, 3,s, a 2, and all the "miscellaneous" stuff is probably another 50+, plus the weight of the case itself.

It's fastened across four studs via a French cleat that's lagbolted into each stud, plus theres a 2 X 4 ledge lagged to the studs at the bottom of it. It oughtta stay there okay.

Terry Hatfield
02-08-2005, 8:30 AM
It's probably something over 200 pounds. Figure two #8's at about 10#each, three #7's at about 9# each - that's aproaching 50# right there! then theres 6's, 5½'s, 5's - nine of them - another 50#, and the rest of the 4½'s, 4's, 3,s, a 2, and all the "miscellaneous" stuff is probably another 50+, plus the weight of the case itself.

It's fastened across four studs via a French cleat that's lagbolted into each stud, plus theres a 2 X 4 ledge lagged to the studs at the bottom of it. It oughtta stay there okay.

That sounds great Jim, You did a fine job!!

Thanks,

t

Mike Scoggins
02-08-2005, 9:11 AM
Jim,

Wow; very nice! I think my keyboard just shorted out from my drooling. :D That's a nice collection of planes you have there, and I really like the storage rack/cabinet. The slanted shelves in your design and that of several others who have posted here seems to make for the most effective use of space. Good job!

Mike

John Miliunas
02-08-2005, 9:45 AM
You sure you have enough planes now, Jim?:eek: I think the "users" you mention outnumber my *entire* collection! Hey, more power to you. Very nice assortment and very well done on the display cab! I like.:) :cool:

Dave Anderson NH
02-08-2005, 10:25 AM
I suspect that you need to keep an eye on the wall Jim. I wouldn't worry about the lag bolts for the french cleats, but rather the chance of the whole wall falling over.:D Really nice job. All users, yeah right!

Terry Hatfield
02-08-2005, 10:52 AM
Jim,

Forgot to say thanks!!! I printed your pic and hung it on the fridge so LOML can see that I obviously don't have enough planes and such...yet. :D AND...I'm not the only one that does this. :D

Still in amazement of the collection,

t

Roy Wall
02-08-2005, 10:59 AM
Jim,

I like the layout!! Keeping the "big guns" grouped together helps the balance a ton!

The sheer # of planes you have is "eye candy" and very impressive. This being said, I know you don't have too many planes;) - just a good starter set!!:cool: :cool:

Thanks for sharing - very nice and inspirational.....

Tyler Howell
02-08-2005, 11:03 AM
[QUOTE=Terry Hatfield]Jim,

hung it on the fridge so LOML can see that I obviously don't have enough planes and such...yet. :D

Nothing like a little preasure to get the message out Terry.
Great Idea;) .
Thanks Jim Great display of Old Iron made new again:cool: .

Terry Hatfield
02-08-2005, 11:12 AM
Tyler Howell

"Nothing like a little preasure to get the message out Terry."

t,

One must use what ever means that are available to justify ones addict....er...umm....hobby. :D

t

Roy Wall
02-08-2005, 11:18 AM
Tyler Howell

"Nothing like a little preasure to get the message out Terry."

t,

One must use what ever means that are available to justify ones addict....er...umm....hobby. :D

t
Guys---------My bride told me if I got the Laundry room remodel done I can get ; and I quote----"all the handplanes you want"!!!

How's that for a deal.......

btw, the Laundry room is almost done!!:cool:

Dave Anderson NH
02-08-2005, 12:34 PM
If I were you I'd type up her comment, date it, and then take your bride down to the local notary public to get her signature signed, sealed, and delivered. Remember that the ladies can have a VERY selective memory when they want to. Even then it is likely that she will try to tell you exactly how many you "want".:D

Louis Bois
02-08-2005, 12:36 PM
Dave beat me to it...but at least there's a record here on SMC. Heck, I'm even willing to fly down there with my toolbelt and get the job done this weekend!! Always willing to help a fellow tool purchaser/hobbyist!!!

The way I see it, in Canadian terms, it's probably about a six beer job!!!:rolleyes:

Roy Wall
02-08-2005, 12:59 PM
If I were you I'd type up her comment, date it, and then take your bride down to the local notary public to get her signature signed, sealed, and delivered. Remember that the ladies can have a VERY selective memory when they want to. Even then it is likely that she will try to tell you exactly how many you "want".:D
Dave & Louis,

LOL!! Excellent advice!! Icing on the cake is that she said this in front of her cousins & our family -- so I have several witnesses.....

But to be prudent - I like the notary idea (things can change.....HA!!)
She's a great woman - very lucky to have her.......and she appreciates good tools!

Roy Wall
02-08-2005, 1:11 PM
Jim,

Back to the thread...........

Are these planes mostly of the same "TYPE"???? Do you try to collect them within a criteria.........or just what has fallen your way?

Blade upgrades, flattening processes....etc......???

Give us the lowdown if you have the time --thanks!

Jim DeLaney
02-08-2005, 1:41 PM
Jim,...Are these planes mostly of the same "TYPE"???? Do you try to collect them within a criteria.........or just what has fallen your way?

Blade upgrades, flattening processes....etc......???

Give us the lowdown if you have the time --thanks!

They're various types of Baileys and Bedrocks and - with the exception of the one BLUE #4, they're all pre-WWII.

There are also about half a dozen K-series Keen Kutters (the Bedrock type) - 4's, 5' and 7's in there, and one orphan Great Neck that I've ground the iron on to serve as a scrub (used it a lot until I got my#40).

Many of the irons are originals, but there are several Hocks, a couple LN's, and three Spehars scattered among them as well.

Flattening... Well, some I considered 'flat enough,' but most have been (laboriously) lapped using wet/dry carbourundum paper on a granite block. A lot of work involved there, btw. As a couple of others can attest to, lapping a #8 seems to take forever.

Chris Thompson
02-08-2005, 2:48 PM
Jim,

Amazing collection. Really nice display.

Of course, now I don't feel so crazy about my comparatively microscopic collection.

Ellen Benkin
02-09-2005, 11:35 AM
Where did you get the hooks for the spokeshaves?

Denny Lawson
02-09-2005, 11:59 AM
:eek: <thunk> Denny passes out

Man that is cool:cool:
I really need to get a cabinet built for my stuff....better to see what I still need:D

Very nice job

Denny

Brian Buckley
02-09-2005, 4:06 PM
Roy,

Dont show your wife the picture of Jim's planes. She does not know how many "all you want" is.

Brian

Roy Wall
02-09-2005, 7:15 PM
Roy,

Dont show your wife the picture of Jim's planes. She does not know how many "all you want" is.

Brian
I did save the photo to a MS Word file and then printed it out ---via Mr. Hatfield's idea..........haven't shown it to LOML yet...............:D

John Scarpa
02-09-2005, 7:40 PM
Jim,
Very nice collection you've got there!
John