PDA

View Full Version : Remote power gate

Karl Card
05-25-2011, 2:31 PM
I am looking for thoughts or plans etc to make a remote gate. The economy has kind of forced me into an area that is not real bad but not real good and I have people tresspassing thru my yard constantly. In order for the cops to do anything I have to post "no trespassing signs on my property. I am thinking of just building a fence but I want the fence to go past my parking area so I would need a gate that would work off of a remote so that neither wife or myself would have to get out of the vehicle and open and close the gate...
In some respects I dont think it would be that hard, it would be a slider gate as I have the room for an 8 - 10 foot gate to slide one side or the other... If someone has done this I would like to hear from you or if anyone knows of a good web site that would be nice too. I have several motors laying around that are 1 and 2 hp respectively but I have no idea what I would need motor wise... This is the beginning of the thought process.

David Prince
05-25-2011, 2:45 PM
I have seen where a garage door opener was modified sideways to pull the gate. That way it works with the remote the same way.

Lee Schierer
05-25-2011, 2:59 PM
Most garage door opener companies also make gate openers. Most fence companies sell sliding gates.

Rod Sheridan
05-25-2011, 4:56 PM
The main consideration is safety of pedestrians and stray children.

The motorised gates at work all have pressure bars on them to detect trapped bodies.

Regards, Rod.

Paul Brinkmeyer
05-25-2011, 5:20 PM
I use the Mighty MuleŽ FM-500
It can be powered from the grid, or solar.
It can be set-up to close automatically or set so you push the remote to open and push the remote to close.
It also comes with key pad for guests. many other options.
I have used it for over 5 years now without any problems.

If you do use a gate, remember the wind can be hard to push against. I had to change out my gate to a gate made of tubes and no flat areas for the wind to catch on. That has been the only issue, and did not cost much to change.

Ups uses it all the time and they have never had any problems.

I'm sure there are more out there, but this is what I use.

If you want to know more, let me know.

Larry Edgerton
05-25-2011, 6:08 PM
Funny story........

At my old house I had a remote slider. The alarm at the house malfunctioned and the cops were called, and the siren went off. I was home so I shut it down and walked outside to meet the inevitable Sheriff visit. The Sheriff came and I had opened the gate, so he stopped and we were chatting when my wife came over the hill and hit the remote in her car. The gate closed into the side of the cop car, bouncing back and forth on his door. In a panic he hooked it in reverse, and ripped off his mirror and screwed up the whole side of the car. No damage to the gate.

I thought it was a bit comical, till I got the bill...........

Larry

Karl Card
05-26-2011, 12:29 AM
Thanks folks good info to start with. Larry hmm I had a bad thought about that remote and my wife...

Rich Engelhardt
05-26-2011, 7:04 AM
The economy has kind of forced me into an area that is not real bad but not real good and I have people tresspassing thru my yard constantly.
A big dog will put a stop to that real quick.

Karl Card
05-29-2011, 8:49 AM
A big dog will put a stop to that real quick.

Well I was thinking of an alligator, with no tail... lol... then no barking... just crunch n munch...lol