PDA

View Full Version : My New Hollowing System photos

Keith Burns
05-25-2011, 2:27 PM
In an earlier thread I had talked about my new Carter Hollowing System and several asked for some photos. They are attached. It is mounted on my Oneway 2436 but it will mount to virtually any lathe. In my opinion it is the most inovative system to come along in ages.

Tim Thiebaut
05-25-2011, 2:47 PM
Looks like a well made system, have they come up with priceing yet Keith?

charlie knighton
05-25-2011, 2:52 PM
nice lathe, Keith, nice and shiny hollower, i am sure it be dusty soon

how deep can you go without chatter??

how many clams, wapum, beaver pelts yall want for that hollower

Jon Prouty
05-25-2011, 3:10 PM
Interesting design... what prevents the torque from twisting the bar? I mus tbe missing something very obvious.

Jon

Jon Prouty
05-25-2011, 3:21 PM
okay... there is a great video on youtube on this thing. My question was answered... here is a pic that makes it obvious.

Love the collet tool holder... hmmm.
Jon

Jon Prouty
05-25-2011, 3:39 PM
$378.95 on Carter's website (including the added banjo post)- sans shipping. This is the basic kit without laser (no pics or price mentioned on line yet) or Hunter carbide tool (extra $69.95).

They want $99.95 for that handle (if purchased alone)... it is nice, but a bill?

Wonder what the street price of this will be?

Jon

edit - just did some comparison pricing between Carter website and Woodcraft... WC is about 20-25% more than Carter direct - nice freaking margins (wholesale to WC must be a lot less)... I won't be buying any Carter stuff from WC in the future when I can get direct pricing for MUCH less.

Andrew Kertesz
05-25-2011, 4:46 PM
Some Carter products are the same price at both locations. For me it depends on which is cheaper, shipping or taxes. I like to try and keep my money local.

David DeCristoforo
05-25-2011, 6:24 PM
Looks pretty sweet. Watched the video and was totally disappointed. Who's the bozo? Don't look like Keith Burns to me. The thing doesn't even have a KB signature on it. Wouldn't mind having one nonetheless but it's going to have to wait until my current system wears out or until I start selling a lot of turnings!

Tim Thiebaut
05-25-2011, 6:37 PM
Here is the youTube video for any that are interested in seeing it. As I have no experience with any but hand held hollowers at this point, for all of you that use different brands, how does this compare?
Video -
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zX5M7z0DX04

David DeCristoforo
05-25-2011, 6:54 PM
"... for all of you that use different brands, how does this compare?"

There would be no way to compare without a "hands on" experience. In the video, it looks like there could be some "chattering" going on when the bar is extended way over the tool rest. Might be that the guy is taking too big of a bite or it might just be an illusion. This certainly looks like a fine rig and I would love to have a chance to try one out. But without that, I don't think anyone could make a fair comparison with other rigs.

Jim Burr
05-25-2011, 11:07 PM
Anytime the tool handle is extended over the stable reach of the tool rest, there is going to be chatter. Show me a system that doesn't. An idea (already brought up) would be to extend the tool rest into the piece (already ruled out). Extension rod diameter is key, but also limited by stability depth. The thought is that you could have a 1" boring bar and hit about 8-10" and get chatter. I'm guessing what we are looking for is a smooth transition to the depth of instability. We all see a guy that continually hollows to 12-14" with great success. That's what we should look at, what already works, how & why it works.

David DeCristoforo
05-26-2011, 9:31 AM
I'm only saying that there is no way to offer a comparison with other systems from watching a video...

Jeff Folkert
05-26-2011, 12:22 PM
Thought this would be a great moment to introduce myself...I am Jeff.....AKA bozo in the video. You are correct, I don't look like Keith Burns.....he is much better looking. ;)

Although I have never posted before I have learned a lot over the past year from the great people here at SMC. I have only been avidly turning for about a year and have learned a lot in that year, and much it from more knowledgeable people in this forum than myself. I thank Keith Burns and a few other local turners for all the help and inspiration they have given me as well as a few other local wood turners.

I look forward to getting to know everyone and will start posting some of my work as soon as I turn something that doesn't go to the burn pile!

Tim Thiebaut
05-26-2011, 12:31 PM
Howdy Jeff nice to see you here. Looking forward to seeing some of your work when you have some to post. As you already know, there are some great folks here and they are very helpful...Tim

Thought this would be a great moment to introduce myself...I am Jeff.....AKA bozo in the video. You are correct, I don't look like Keith Burns.....he is much better looking. ;)

Although I have never posted before I have learned a lot over the past year from the great people here at SMC. I have only been avidly turning for about a year and have learned a lot in that year, and much it from more knowledgeable people in this forum than myself. I thank Keith Burns and a few other local turners for all the help and inspiration they have given me as well as a few other local wood turners.

I look forward to getting to know everyone and will start posting some of my work as soon as I turn something that doesn't go to the burn pile!

Steve Schlumpf
05-26-2011, 12:55 PM
Welcome to the Creek Jeff! Looking forward to seeing some of your work real soon!

Bill Wyko
05-26-2011, 1:02 PM
Welcome Jeff. First I'd like to say it seems like a nice set up. I use a Keith Clark system. While it's an awesome tool, it's a little difficult to set up due to everything being very heavy. This system seems easier to set up which could possibly have me use it more often. I look forward to future users posting their reviews on it. If they are positive, I may look into one for myself. Good luck with your turning endeavours.

David DeCristoforo
05-26-2011, 1:18 PM
"I am Jeff.....AKA bozo in the video"

Wouldn't that be "Mr Bozo in the video"?

John Keeton
05-26-2011, 3:47 PM
Jeff, although you have been lurking for awhile, welcome to the "vocal" side of the creek, and even a bigger welcome to the Turner's forum. I look forward to seeing some of your work. Don't be shy about posting - that really is the only way to get constructive feedback and improve.

Dan Hintz
05-26-2011, 5:13 PM
Just ordered mine :)

David E Keller
05-26-2011, 5:20 PM
Overheard at a toolaholics anonymous meeting... "Hi everybody, My name is Dan." "Hi, Dan"...

Welcome, Jeff! I think we would all understand you black listing DD for his bozo comments... No soup for you, David!

David DeCristoforo
05-26-2011, 5:55 PM
I doan need no steenking soup!

Dennis Simmons
05-26-2011, 6:18 PM
[QUOTE=Jeff Folkert;1710325] I am Jeff.....AKA bozo in the video.

David can you do the Hokey Pokey, Open your mouth, put your right foot in, and shake it all about :D

David DeCristoforo
05-26-2011, 7:21 PM
"David can you do the Hokey Pokey..."

Nope. I can't do any of those things. But I can apologize to Jeff. I'm sorry Jeff. I should have said Mr. Bozo. From now on I will be sure to show the proper respect. And, as to putting my foot in my mouth, I have never had to worry about that, the reason being that I was born with my foot in my mouth and I was wise enough, even at that young age, to realize that the easiest thing was to just leave it there.

Pete Jordan
05-26-2011, 7:29 PM
Looks good Keith. If I didn't have 2 systems already I might be interested.

Dan Hintz
05-26-2011, 7:40 PM
Overheard at a toolaholics anonymous meeting... "Hi everybody, My name is Dan." "Hi, Dan"...
<chuckle> Couldn't pass up the deal... got the full system and requisite tool post for my Jet for $288 shipped. Unfortunately, they didn't have the laser yet, so that will have to come later.

Hayes Rutherford
05-26-2011, 7:53 PM
Is there a swan neck bar available for this system?

Dennis Simmons
05-26-2011, 8:04 PM
"David can you do the Hokey Pokey..."

Nope. I can't do any of those things. But I can apologize to Jeff. I'm sorry Jeff. I should have said Mr. Bozo. From now on I will be sure to show the proper respect. And, as to putting my foot in my mouth, I have never had to worry about that, the reason being that I was born with my foot in my mouth and I was wise enough, even at that young age, to realize that the easiest thing was to just leave it there.

Then you are just like me :D Have a good day!

Bob Bergstrom
05-26-2011, 9:21 PM
I tried the video and says it has been removed. Oh well I quit watching "Bozo Circus" a long time ago. but I would like to see Jeff demoing this sweet looking tool. Hope to see it return

Nick Stagg
05-27-2011, 2:43 AM
I do a lot of hollow forms and have a homemade Jamieson type system.
I think that the Carter Hollower has some benefits, and some drawbacks. I also think it was pretty "gutsy" of Jeff to make a video, having only been turning for a year, with a tool that in anyone's hands takes some experience to use.

Yes, I saw the vibration, but I wondered how it would work on a full size lathe with more stability. The tool extension is far too long from the flat spot to the tip to prevent chatter, if it was shorter, I think you'd see a very different result.

No criticism of Jeff is intended, but I don't think the cutting tip was sharp, nor was it sharpened down the side to benefit from the side cutting action. I couldn't get a good view of it, but I hope it wasn't over 3/16" of an inch....much more effective than a 1/4" bit. A swan necked tool of some kind will need to be added to the arsenal, at some point, to enable the user to undercut with.

I really liked the roller bearing idea and could see how it would really help with friction problems and maneuverability. I think it the back stop needs to be wider.....it will have to be wider in order for larger vessels and the undercutting, otherwise you won't have enough swing.
I'm not writing it off, I just think it could have been kept in the development stage, and been tweaked just a little more before it was made public. Although I can see the rush to market with the AAW coming up, I just hope it hasn't hurt the tools reputation.

Disclaimer: Don't know Keith Burns, never emailed him, never called him, but I do very much admire his work. No affiliation with Carter Products either.

Jeff Folkert
05-27-2011, 11:10 AM
It was a gutsy move to make the video and I have been turning for only a year, (with a lot of things to still learn) but my progression did not take the normal steps that most turners do. I started out learning the lathe and then went directly to bowls and hollow forms. That is the beauty of the new tool....you can be a novice and feel safe using it. You may turn out a lot of fire wood like I have, but it is comfortable to use.

I am not trying to be a salesman, (couldn't if I tried....I am a technical person / engineer ) but I can give you some insight into the new tool from first hand experience. Don't worry about offending me with observations, I have a thick skin. :D

You are correct the tool was not the sharpest in the video and it is a 3/16" cutter with a grind that has been recommended by many turners. There will be more stuff avialable with the tool like an articulated head, laser and scraper bits, they just are not avialable yet.

Just to give you some background.....this tool has been in development for more than 3 years. (yes we move slowly sometimes :o) but it was originally aimed at the beginning hollow form turner and kind of blossomed from there. Once we got it in the hands of experienced turners they liked it as much as the novice guys....and it began to blossom from there into what it is now.

It will be demonstrated at AAW and I will be there as well. I would love to meet some of you guys in person so if you are there, please look me up. (no I will not be the main demonstrator...someone with much more skill will be doing that) :p

Dan Hintz
05-27-2011, 11:27 AM
Jeff,

Somewhat similar tack here... did my first bowl several months ago, the next thing I wanted to do was push the boundary a bit and do a natural edge. Now that the NE mountain has been scaled, I wanted me next to be a hollow form... saw this thread, tool looked good on price, so I pulled the trigger. I'm not a slow progression kinda guy, I want to go to the bleeding edge of my ability (but hopefully not be bleeding when I get there).

BTW, love the Rush lyric sig :)

Jeff Folkert
05-27-2011, 11:53 AM
Glad you see someone else is a Rush fan out there. :) I did hear about the order and you got just under the wire and got one sweet deal. I will be anxious to hear your experience when you get it. I am taking some pics this afternoon of my stuff that did not get thrown in the fire....it will be interesting to see what everyone thinks.

I had the same experience with the bowls. They were fun but got bored fast and was never really satisfied with the finished product...although the friends and family appreciate them. :D

I hear you about the bleeding part. I have gained a lot of respect for lathes the hard way. :o I come from a metal working background so the respect was there but wood lathes are a whole different animal when you think about holding the tool by hand.

Dan Hintz
05-27-2011, 1:42 PM
I was hoping to get the laser at the same time, but no such luck... "Interested in field-testing the laser" was added to my customer database notes ;) If one doesn't appear soon, I may end up hacking one together myself, but I can practice without it. Since we replaced the woodburning stove with a pellet stove last year, I no longer have the option of hiding my mistakes, so I can't make any.

I take it from some of your comments you work in some capacity or another for Carter? If so, adding that to your sig would help others know any given advice is first-hand experience.

Jeff Folkert
05-27-2011, 2:04 PM
I am the one of the engineers / test dummies at Carter. The laser will be avialable soon. I have one on mine and love it.

John Hart
05-27-2011, 3:13 PM
I'm kinda late to this mechanized love fest....

First off...Welcome Jeff!!! Nice work. Hope you hang around and strut your stuff.

Nice tool too. Maybe I'll break my piggy bank. (and 5 minutes later my kids will steal it)

Dan Hintz
05-28-2011, 7:02 PM
Latest Woodcraft catalog appeared in the mail today... guess what was on the cover? ;)

David DeCristoforo
05-28-2011, 7:11 PM
I give...what?

John M. Smith
05-29-2011, 12:17 AM
Got to play with one this morning at Rob Campbells house. It was really nice. Easy. Smooth. Best finesse cuts I have ever taken. I used it on a bowl with a hunter carbide cutter. Clean enough cuts to start sanding at 120! I amputting this on my list to get soon. I have never used a hollowing system before, but this has me sold.

John

Jeff Folkert
05-31-2011, 8:12 AM
John,

Ron has been using the tool for a while now and with the Hunter bit it can really take a lot of material out in a short time as well as give you a nice finish. I started doing bowls with the tool as well so I could see what I was doing to get used to the tool and then went to the hollow forms. It seems like "cheating" to do bowls with it, but as a beginner I loved the control it gave on the bowls as well as the hollow forms.

Dan Hintz
06-09-2011, 8:26 AM
My new toy appeared yesterday :D This weekend Mike C. will be stopping by to help me with final assembly and moving of my cabinet workbench to get the Stinger off of the ground. This should free up the space needed to get the dust collector to the middle of the shop (right now it's next to the laser, which is a long haul and too many turns to get to the lathe), which means I can turn to my heart's content and not worry about dusting up the rest of the shop (including the laser!).

Now I need to hang on Jeff's back like a bad monkey until he finishes the outboard rest for me :p

Dick Wilson
06-09-2011, 8:31 AM
Here is the youTube video for any that are interested in seeing it. As I have no experience with any but hand held hollowers at this point, for all of you that use different brands, how does this compare?
Video -
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zX5M7z0DX04

The video has been removed by owner

Dick Wilson
06-09-2011, 8:39 AM
Keith, Being that Carter is in Grand Rapids and our club is exploring new homes we are going to have our July meeting at Carter Products. I suspect (and hope) we will all have a chance to see their hollowing system first hand. I am looking forward to it. I have a Jamison knockoff that a friend made for me and it has served me very well and I really enjoy using it. The only draw back is I can't go much beyond 12". That of course is because of the limitation of the bar diameter.

Jeff Folkert
06-09-2011, 8:54 AM
The video is back on youtube but the original link won't work as we had some audio trouble with the first video that was correct and the video re-posted. Just search under Carter Products or CPvideo in youtube and you find the video.

The GR club will get a chance to see the Hollow Roller first hand as Ron C. will be demonstrating it during the meeting. We have not done a lot of work 12" deep but maybe Dick can put it to the test.

I took my first class with Dick at Woodcraft on hollow forms and learned a lot from that class. Thanks Dick for taking us newbies under your wing and showing us what turning a hollow form is all about.

Keith Burns
06-09-2011, 4:26 PM
Keith, Being that Carter is in Grand Rapids and our club is exploring new homes we are going to have our July meeting at Carter Products. I suspect (and hope) we will all have a chance to see their hollowing system first hand. I am looking forward to it. I have a Jamison knockoff that a friend made for me and it has served me very well and I really enjoy using it. The only draw back is I can't go much beyond 12". That of course is because of the limitation of the bar diameter.

Dick, I rough turned a Curly Ambrosia Maple HF about a week ago. 11" deep without any problems. Much smoother and easier than my Jamison Clone. Unlike Jeff I prefer the HSS cuter for hollowing. I clean up with the carbide. Because I am not an engineer, shoot I'm not even a crash test dummy, so I guess that makes me just a dummy, I can't explain all of the engineering dynamics behind this tool but at 11" it responded flawlessly with no effort. Another thing I have discovered which really impresses me is that my natural stance with this tool places me probably 18" away from the turning. With other hollowing methods I have used I find myself pretty darn close to the "line of fire".

Brian McInturff
06-09-2011, 10:31 PM
Very Nice looking Hollowing system. The tool arrestor(or whatever it's called) reminds me of the Keith Clark system. That is a great system but like mentioned earlier it's really hefty. Basically built like a tank. I ended up selling mine because of the heft and went with the Monster. This one really looks more compact and light which is a huge plus. I'm not in the market right now for another hollowing system but when I decide to get another one this one probably will be at the top of the list.

Grant Wilkinson
06-10-2011, 8:44 PM
Here's the new video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6M_aSJwoz3g

Ted Calver
06-10-2011, 9:24 PM
I watched the video and it looked pretty neat, but I really don't like the thought of having to remove my banjo every time I use the system to install the tool rest. Why not use a bolt plate?

Jeff Folkert
06-13-2011, 1:35 PM
The tool rest does actually use a bolt plate. You can put it on without taking off the banjo if you want.......some people are just lazy (like me :)) and would rather take off the banjo instead of trying to thread a bolt plate on from the bottom side of the lathe.

Ted Calver
06-13-2011, 6:29 PM
Thanks Jeff. My banjo is too dang heavy :)