PDA

View Full Version : Hold Down Mat

Tim Bateson
05-25-2011, 11:49 AM
I finally splurged on a Hold Down Mat from JDS. I've been doing lots of trophies and that thin Rowmark is tough to get to lay flat. I tried double stick tape, magnets, and weights. This mat is fantastic!!! I wish I'd bought it a couple years ago.

Now.... Does anyone know what to expect in regards to the life span?

Mike Null
05-25-2011, 12:02 PM
Tim
I use a similar one for my mechanical machine and it's at least 3 years old with no sign of wear. Every now and then I move it over to the laser.

Randy Digby
05-25-2011, 12:27 PM
I used them on our four rotary engravers (before laser replaced them) and loved them. You just wash them under running water, dry and go again. The most wear I saw was when we were drag engraving small (1"x3") plates of anodized and had to use a good deal of presure, the rocking of the plates under pressure will begin to wear the material. Even at that, it was worth the cost.

Keith Outten
05-25-2011, 12:34 PM
Be careful with aluminum sheets. I had some Alumamark that stuck to the mat and I ruined the Alumamark sheet removing it. Plastic and acrylic has always worked great.

Tony Daurio
05-26-2011, 8:27 AM
How does it attach to the table? Is it easily removable for cleaning?
Thanks

Mike Null
05-26-2011, 8:36 AM
Tony

Mine is actually part of a Newing Hall table. It can be removed an replaced.

Randy Digby
05-26-2011, 9:28 AM
If we are talking about the same material, the mats I used were about 3/16" thick and sticky to the touch on both sides. You simply placed it on the engraver table and then position your parts on the mat. To Echo Keith's warning above, I found it best to wash a new mat before use if I was going to use it for thin parts to keep them from sticking too good.

Mike Null
05-26-2011, 10:21 AM
Mine is about 1/16".