PDA

View Full Version : first lathe?

Corvin Alstot
02-07-2005, 8:06 PM
I am looking into buying my first lathe. Is there any significant differences
between the Delta or Jet Mini lathes or should I only look at price?
I am considering buying either one with the idea to buy the extension for it too.
Or is there lathe to purchase for the beginner?
And forget about the Oneway 2436 its a little out of my price range. I need a huge jointer first.

I currently plan to make handles and hardware pulls etc., if this has any impact.

Thanks,

Corvin

Richard Allen
02-07-2005, 8:21 PM
I would select the Jet but if someone gave me a Delta I wouldn't trade it in on a Jet.

Gary Max
02-07-2005, 8:28 PM
Corvin---just the opposite of Richard---I own a Delta lathe but if someone gave me a jet---I would keep it.
I can see we are being alot of help.
I bet there are more Jet owners here than Delta owners.

Peter Langevin
02-07-2005, 8:40 PM
i love the jet.. of the two i feel its better built.. i have used both..

just like the jet better... i have the standard one. but the vs is

a nice option..

Matthew Poeller
02-08-2005, 8:06 AM
if one of those is out of your price range I decided on the Grizzly VS mini for my first lathe and I am very pleased with it. Yes I am sure that they others are very nice too and if you want to start doing bowls right away they have a better swing over but this one serves my purpose for right now.

David Fried
02-08-2005, 8:13 AM
I was considering a mini, extension, stand, etc.. Instead I got the Jet 1236 and am very happy with it. It wasn't much more when you consider the cost of the add-ons to the mini.

Harry Pye
02-08-2005, 10:33 AM
I've had a Delta Midi for a couple years and am very happy with it. Also have the bed extension and have never used it. I think it is a toss-up between the Jet and Delta and I would buy based on price. On the other hand, the idea of variable speed is really appealing and if it seems important to you, the Jet would be you choice.

Steven Wilson
02-08-2005, 11:48 AM
I had a Delta Midi and it worked well for me. However, if I were buying a mini lathe today I would pick up the variable speed Jet mini - a very nice package. And hey, what's wrong with a Oneway 2436 ? I have one and am really maxing it out turning cork handles for fishing rods:)

Corvin Alstot
02-08-2005, 7:55 PM
I had a Delta Midi and it worked well for me. However, if I were buying a mini lathe today I would pick up the variable speed Jet mini - a very nice package. And hey, what's wrong with a Oneway 2436 ? I have one and am really maxing it out turning cork handles for fishing rods:)
It looks like it costs about $100 more for the variable speed? How does this feature help? Is it a nice to have feature or will I wish I upgraded in the future.
I prefer the buy once approach, but could also see getting a huge lathe in a few more years.

Gary Max
02-08-2005, 8:31 PM
The $100.00 for speed control is a great way to go. No messing with belts to change speeds. You will never regret spending that money.

Peter Langevin
02-08-2005, 9:12 PM
your still going to change belts.. but its highly unlikely you'll need to once you get it dialed in (3 step pulley which dictates torque.. ie you'll have to experiment based on piece size)..

its worth the cost..

but you could always get the standard (sometimes for short money) and convert with treadmill motor and vs controller..

Carole Valentine
02-09-2005, 8:59 AM
but you could always get the standard (sometimes for short money) and convert with treadmill motor and vs controller..
I saw on Jets site that they have a VS retrofit kit for the mini, but no info on it, just a listing. Wonder what it entails?

Bill Grumbine
02-09-2005, 9:12 AM
It looks like it costs about $100 more for the variable speed? How does this feature help? Is it a nice to have feature or will I wish I upgraded in the future.
I prefer the buy once approach, but could also see getting a huge lathe in a few more years.

Hi Corvin

The variable speed feature is a very nice, and even a very important feature to have if you are going to turn bowls, hollow forms, or other lumps of wood which start out unbalanced in some way. If you are looking for a spindle machine to turn table legs and such, variable speed is not so important. The VS feature allows you to adjust the speed of the lathe to accomodate the piece of wood being turned, allowing you to adjust it slightly for vibration, size, etc. A stepped pulley system, which has been the standard for many years, is more suited to regular pieces of wood, and is becoming slightly old fashioned in today's world of turning. Sure it is still out there, and will endure for many years to come, but like the live center replacing the dead, VS is slowly replacing stepped pulleys.

Bill

Steven Wilson
02-09-2005, 10:10 AM
Well, Bill G has you covered on the need for variable speed. Working with the stepped pully isn't bad but the variable speed is just so much nicer. For example, working on a pen I can go from using my skew at at nice pace, lay the skew down, crank up the speed and commence sanding, without having to stop the lathe and change belts. It's just much nicer. As for buying once, if you get the Jet VS mini and then decide on a much larger lathe there is no reason to get rid of the Jet mini. Even with a big lathe it's nice having another lathe around that you can pull off the shelf, pop on a bench, and turn something. Or you can set up the mini as a buffer. When I purchased the Oneway I sold my Delta but only because I didn't have the space to keep it around. At the time I knew I should have kept it, and there has been a couple of occasions in the past where I wish I had both.