PDA

View Full Version : first birdhouse

cal thelen
05-25-2011, 10:43 AM
my first attempt at a bird house wanted the roof to extend out a little further than the body, but i ran out of wood. the wood is some more of that pallet wood.. Pretty wood but does not turn the nicest twice as many trips to the grinder as usual. sprayed 4 coats of spar gloss on it. any other critiques or commets welcome.
thanks

Tim Thiebaut
05-25-2011, 11:59 AM
That came out very nice Cal, for pallet wood it is really very pretty. I have yet to turn my first birdhouse, I hope mine comes out looking half as good as yours.

Steve Schlumpf
05-25-2011, 5:08 PM
wanted the roof to extend out a little further than the body, but i ran out of wood.

Now that's funny right there!

Nice looking little birdhouse! Really like how you were able to continue the grain throughout the piece. Birds love it when when everything lines up like that! It's one of those feng shui kind of things!

Michael James
05-25-2011, 7:13 PM
What are the dimensions? With spar on there, Im "assuming" you're going to put it outside - while I'm not an ornithologist, I recently saw a comment that says the residents don't need the perch, but nest robbing others do.
Nice job on this. I have yet to built an ornamental one, but it's on my list of "to do's".
mj

Jim Burr
05-25-2011, 11:19 PM
That's really cool Cal!!! Agree on the roof, running out of wood happens! I'm with MJ on the dimensions...he's a better speller, but I'd still like to know how tall it is!

cal thelen
05-26-2011, 10:52 AM
thanks for the comments it measures about 11 inches tall and the top is roughly 3-1/2 inches in dia the hole is is 1-1/4 the inside is hollowed out to 2-3/8.