PDA

View Full Version : Mid west tool meet in bowling green

Bob Jones
05-24-2011, 11:42 PM
Anybody plannng on going to bowling green at the end of june? I am planning to attend my First tool meet. I am really excited and wondering what to expect. I am planning to take my 6 year old daughter with me. Anyone have any advise on the first trip? I have several extra planes that I am thinking about taking for bardering. Is that a good idea?

Zach Dillinger
05-25-2011, 9:21 AM
Bob,

You'll enjoy it, I guarantee it! Get there early for the best selection, stay late for the best prices. Some of the guys are willing to negotiate on prices, others are not. You should find a decent selection of user tools at excellent prices, along with the higher end collectors tools (i.e. stuff in the box, Davis levels, #1s, Millers Patents). One of the best things about Midwest meets is meeting and talking to a bunch of different people. Talk to everyone! It can't hurt to bring the spare planes you have. And bring plenty of cash!

Take care and have fun!

Zach Dillinger
Director, MWTCA Area C

Jeff Bartley
05-25-2011, 9:55 AM
Bob,
I'll second all of Zach's responses! The one bit that I can add to the list is the incredible wealth of knowledge you'll immediately be exposed to. And I'll say that the people you'll meet is likely the highlight. I used to have very few friends who were so into tools and the history of tools; now I feel like I have a bunch!
The last two local meets for me were really great: one was actually an EAIA meet and was held at Thomas Jeffersons' Poplar Forest where we were given private tours by the carpenters, architect, and woodworkers who are restoring it. And there was a presentation by Brian Coe from Old Salem on making wooden molding planes that was just fantastic!
The most recent meeting holds the distinction of being my best haul of tools for the least money! Which happened, by the way, because I was one of the last to leave! But I don't have any pics so I won't expect anyone here to believe it!
You won't be disappointed!
Jeff

Ron Bontz
05-25-2011, 6:12 PM
Bowling Green, where? The city name is one of the most popular in the country. Why, I'll never know. I'm hoping not close. If I come home with any more Baileys I might be sleeping with them in the dog house.:D
Hmm. I see. Ky.

Mel Miller
05-25-2011, 7:40 PM
Zach is right! Those Midwest meets bring out some wonderful folks and tools. I've been to a number of them, and have bought some great tools. Room sales, parking lot sales and the main trade room - don't miss any of it.

Mel

Tom Vanzant
05-25-2011, 8:48 PM
Bowling Green, KY

Bob Jones
05-26-2011, 8:44 PM
Thanks for the advice, hopefully I will meet some of you there!