PDA

View Full Version : Molding planes! :)

Levi Durston
05-24-2011, 11:28 PM
:D I can't even tell you all how excited I am! I've been on vacation for the past two weeks and was looking for planes at flea markets here and there but didn't find much..
On our drive back my parents asked if I wanted to go to a antique store back a mile, so I of course said yes! haha we went and that store led us to another antique store in the next town. Eagerly looking around on the many shelves I only found one molding plane.. so I picked it up and a lady walked by and said "Oh, a man just left to pick some of those up! He should be back in ten minutes" I was freaking out! (inside of course) haha Ten minutes later he showed up with 9 planes in amazing condition! two of them were missing the blades but the bodies were in incredible condition! The planes combined were marked for $149, I then asked if he would cut me a deal if I took all of them and he said I'll take $115!
The fact that we just happend to be on vacation at this time and show up at the store within ten minutes of the arrival of the planes! Not only that, but the lady just happened to see me holding a plane and told me, otherwise I probably would've been gone.. And we just happened to drive back a mile to look at an antique store that happened to have a brochure to this antique store!

Now for the planes!
There's one plane missing here.. which happens to be the biggest of them all! I thought I would share my find with all of you, and see what your thoughts are :)
I also got a stanley square, annd a (unsure of the exact name..) adjustable plow wood plane, which I'll post pictures of later!

anyways... Thanks for your your interest!

one more thing! If any of you have suggestions or tips on how you go about sharpening complex molding irons would be greatly appreciated!

Levi Durston
05-25-2011, 2:15 AM
Alright! I got some more for ya! Here's the big crown plane I had briefly mentioned! it's about 6 inches wide or so.. it's massive! Can't wait to sharpen up the iron and put it to use! :D Also I had picked up a plow adjustable plane which is missing the blade, so I need to keep my eyes peeled for one.
Last but not least I picked up this little 6 inch square for $12.50, I loved the look of it! I got a before pic of what the square looked like. annd now you might be wondering what's the change? All I've done thus far is sand the wood part as well as the brass plates and inlays.
The square is made by Stanley... not sure how old it is. I saw one similar from 1890 or something.. :)
I was wondering if any of you had suggestions for removing the rust from the main part... the measure markings are very "shallow" and so sanding isn't really an option.. :/ any suggestions??

Levi Durston
05-25-2011, 2:16 AM
One more question... what finish would be best for the wood? I'm curious as to what finish is preferred for wood planes and such..

Chip Lindley
05-25-2011, 2:13 PM
Levi, if your planes are molding, decrease humidity; use a desiccant! (lol!...couldn't resist)

You might get more response over at Neanderthal Haven...strictly for hand tool-users.

Glad you enjoyed your vacation!
~Chip~