PDA

View Full Version : You show me yours, I'll show you mine.

Curt Fuller
05-24-2011, 10:39 PM
Ok, you know the #1 basic rule here is "If there's no pic, it didn't happen". So for all my fellow reformed turners that have decided that it's time to quit exposing their smiling faces to the dangers of a serious woodturning mishap, here's your opportunity to show off your shield.

Buzz Lightyear has nothing on me..........

Ed Morgano
05-24-2011, 11:22 PM
Curt,
I ordered mine through Amazon and it was shipped on the 18th from California via our good ole Postal Service. On the 22nd it was still in California. The only other information is that they "guess" it will be here by the 27th.....or so. I will post a picture if I ever get it.

Larry Marley
05-24-2011, 11:58 PM
Curt, that is a serious looking shield. Way to go! I have been looking at safety issues in my shop this week. I ordered 2 magnetic starter switches for my bandsaw and tablesaw, and the parts to make a remote switch for the Powermatic.

Michael James
05-25-2011, 12:02 AM
I wonder if my hound would sit still and pose with a trend AS on his head??

John Keeton
05-25-2011, 6:19 AM
...it was shipped on the 18th from California via our good ole Postal Service. On the 22nd it was still in California...Ed, the only thing more disappointing than the rapidity of service, is the USPS tracking system!!

My Uvex was shipped from CA on 5/23 by UPS and is scheduled for delivery on 5/27 - and, one can actually track its location on UPS!! Pic to follow upon delivery.

Paul Singer
05-25-2011, 6:32 AM
My Uvex is on the truck for local delivery today according to the Fed-EX tracking info. USPS tracking normally shows delivery a day after I have it. And they wonder why they are losing money.

The people that make this face shield must be wondering why their sales have doubled in the last month.

John Hart
05-25-2011, 6:40 AM
Aww Man.....now I have to go take a picture of myself? :eek:

John Keeton
05-25-2011, 6:53 AM
Hart, Rachel will do much better - just repost the prior pic and spare us the pain!!!!:D:D:D

John Hart
05-25-2011, 7:28 AM
Good idea!! She's prettier than me. :)

Rachel is wearing the hardhat version

But I use the Bionic most of the time.....Well....Ok.....All of the time ;)

Bill Bulloch
05-25-2011, 7:38 AM
I, too was motivated by the recent (actually two) serious turning accidents in the past months, so I bought a new face shield. I bought the Trend Air Shield, though, because of the dust problem I have in my shop when I have to close the doors to run the air conditioning. It's on the UPS Truck enroute to me now.

charlie knighton
05-25-2011, 9:18 AM
old style Trend, it has some more use in it

Trevor Howard
05-25-2011, 12:51 PM
I ordered the Bionic from Sears last Thursday, yesterday morning I got an email saying it was shipped. Checked UPS tracking number they had no record of it. At lunch time LOML texted me to say it had been delivered. :rolleyes:

Used it last night and I really like it so far, especially not fogging up.

Sean Hughto
05-25-2011, 2:37 PM
Yours looks unnatural all clean like that!

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2639/4207689184_7bbb70810b_o.jpg

This one hangs up a bunch these days because I tend to favor my Trend or 3M with teh air filters.

Bill Wyko
05-25-2011, 7:16 PM
I can't wait to get home and take the pic. I wear my shield, ear muffs and a respirator. I look like the guy that kicked darth vaders ass in the hallway in school. Pic tomorrow for sure.:eek::D

Doug Palmer
05-25-2011, 9:11 PM
I too ordered mine. It will be here on Monday. Til then, no pictures.

Ed Morgano
05-26-2011, 1:24 PM
Curt,
I ordered mine through Amazon and it was shipped on the 18th from California via our good ole Postal Service. On the 22nd it was still in California. The only other information is that they "guess" it will be here by the 27th.....or so. I will post a picture if I ever get it.

Well somehow our great US Postal Service managed to find their way from California to South Carolina a day earlier than they originally predicted....here it is. A warning: The following picture ISN"T pretty. View at your own risk.

David E Keller
05-26-2011, 5:11 PM
Looking good, Ed. I like the clearvue shirt as well... For some reason I didn't get one when I ordered my cyclone, but I absolutely love the collector.

David E Keller
05-29-2011, 5:36 PM
Here you go... Action shot!

Alan Zenreich
05-29-2011, 6:44 PM
Ok, I admit it, I'm camera shy. But who could resist this thread's title?

Fortunately my younger son graciously agreed to model a sampling of the face shields that we use in our little shop.

Uvex Bionic faceshield -- We have two of these faceshields that we use mostly when we are out of our shop (typically visiting others, at our local club, or in a class). We also hand these to guests visiting our shop. I rather like this shield... much better than the hardware store versions.
3M Breathe Easy -- We have two of these... sort of.

Not pictured. Lauren uses her helmet (with ear muffs) with a belt pack "turbo" battery/filter/fan unit. This is a typical configuration. Nice thing about the turbo unit is that it can take either particulate filters, or organic filters (great if you do a lot of spraying of volatile, and nasty to inhale, finishes). Recently, in an effort to get the weight off of her belt, we're trying hanging the pack from the rafters.
Pictured front and side. My helmet. I found a great buy on just a helmet, and rather than get another "turbo" unit, I did something that I saw Eugen Schlaak post about on WOW. I mounted a HEPA air cleaner on the wall, and ran some hoses (with a swivel joint midway to avoid twisting) to the helmet. Yes, I'm tethered, but I installed a track on the ceiling so the hose can slide each way, and I can reach all areas of the 10x12 room. The nice things about this are that I can control the air flow, it's QUIET (because the fan motor is a few feet away), and it's the lightest configuration I've come across for a PAPR setup. Oh, and the HEPA air cleaner was only about $60 shipped, quite a bargain compared to a turbo unit and three 3M filters. I'll eventually order ear muffs for this helmet.

Trend Airshield Pro - This was the first PAPR unit I purchased. It fits me nicely, but doesn't fit Lauren well at all. I like this unit, and think it's the best bang for the buck. Especially considering that I got a few extra batteries when someone online was selling them incredibly cheaply one day. The ear muffs do not attenuate as effectively as the 3M units.
We generally use easily replaceable clear overlays on our faceshields.

I tried Triton respirators, but they weren't a good fit for me, though others are happy with them. If a 3M AirStream fell in my lap, I'd make a good home for it... as it's really the only other PAPR system I'd consider.

As mentioned before, I'm an ATGATT motorcycle rider (All The Gear, All The Time). So, I don't turn on a lathe without some sort of face protection... for me, or anyone else in our shop.

Kirk Miller
05-30-2011, 3:44 AM
We should do a follow up survey to see how many are still using their shields in about 9 months. Mine are on the way too.