PDA

View Full Version : Sofa tray table

John Gregory
02-07-2005, 5:57 PM
Just something we built for our daughter. The feet slide under the sofa and creates a table next to you. In the first version, the legs were too short. So we cut the legs and inserted an extension. I think it worked well to fix a problem.

John and Kris

Mike Cutler
02-07-2005, 6:07 PM
That fix worked out really well, in fact I like the appearance of "Version 2" better than the "Version 1. Well done ;)

Jim Dunn
02-07-2005, 7:29 PM
Very very nice John. But is that tray for dinner in front of the tv? My wife won't let me eat in the living room at all. She says I make to much of a mess:) It's really not me but the dogs always begging for food.

Earl Kelly
02-07-2005, 7:31 PM
John, very nice, and the way you solved a problem really added to the table. You'll probably get some requests for more.

Jason Tuinstra
02-07-2005, 7:32 PM
John, great fix. I really like the way this project turned out. Nice job.

Jack Hogoboom
02-07-2005, 9:08 PM
John,

How did you "insert" the "insert"? Looks like a perfect fix!!

Jack

Byron Trantham
02-07-2005, 9:11 PM
John,
Very nice fix, if that's what you want to call it. Looks like a design feature to me. :D

Jeff Sudmeier
02-08-2005, 8:17 AM
Now that is what a sofa table is supposed to be! The damn tables we have with folding legs are down right terrible! We love to have the tables for writing on, etc... but they are so wobbly. Thanks for the inspiration!

Ken Fitzgerald
02-08-2005, 9:42 AM
John....sometimes the recoveries are more beautiful than the original design. Such is this! Great job!

Rich Konopka
02-08-2005, 1:56 PM
Outstanding Job !!! I like the design and how you were able to make it so the tray slides under the sofa. I use a similar setup for our laptop in our family room.

John Gregory
02-08-2005, 2:41 PM
Thanks all for the kind words. My wife came up with the fix and I think it worked!

We made the inserts from the same material as the original legs. Milled up some small pieces of jatoba and glued and pinned nailed them to the insert. On my drill press I drilled a 1/2" hole in the legs and inserts and then glued them together with dowels and glue. I did make a temporary jig to make sure the sides of the insert aligned with the sides of the legs.

If I did it again, I would do the same height. I would make the legs a bit beefier and then inlay the jatoba for accents.

Mark Hulette
02-08-2005, 5:10 PM
Hey John~

Nice looking table- good work.

One question: What edge treatment did you do on the top? I really like that profile!

Thanks for sharing

John Gregory
02-08-2005, 5:58 PM
Mark, it was a table edge bit, A large bit used in my table mounted router.