PDA

View Full Version : need help in FT Worth

Joe Skinner
05-24-2011, 8:48 PM
I need some help with learning to use a plane. I have seen what these tools can do in the right hands, and mine are not those. I also understand that it is a skill that no one is born with. However, practicing mistakes over and over does not make one better.

I have even looked for a class, but cannot find one, so I am even willing to pay for some instruction.

Is there anyone in the Fort Worth area that can show me what I am doing wrong?

Zahid Naqvi
05-24-2011, 9:29 PM
I'm slightly East of FW in Plano. If you are willing to make the trip it will not cost you a dime. Heck I'll even offer you a can of Coke ;) I'll share what I know and learn whatever you bring to the table.

Jim Koepke
05-24-2011, 9:42 PM
Joe,

My first question is if you have found any help in the "Sticky" Neanderthal wisdom/FAQs section, in particular:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?148076-Getting-Started-With-Hand-Planes

If you have read that and are still having troubles, then maybe a discussion of what is happening when you are using a hand plane will be a good starting place.

I had some minimal training in a junior high school general shop. Many years later when I came back to butchering wood, it took a while to make a plane work. I finally got a blade sharp and that changed my world.

Hopefully you will find the same result with less work than it took me.

jtk

Bob Jones
05-24-2011, 11:48 PM
I would seek help in this order. 1-Get help from someone local or 2-buy a pre-tuned plane from LN, LV, or someone here, and or 3- get a good video on planes. Do all three and you will be planing like crazy. Do any one and you will be better off. Don't quit!

Joe Skinner
05-28-2011, 3:34 PM
I will start with reading the sticky.

Zahid, I might just take you up on that offer after I do some more reading.