PDA

View Full Version : Grain Direction

Colin Gilkes
02-07-2005, 5:44 PM
I hope this doesn't sound like to dumb a question but........

I know about working with the grain and against the grain but how can you tell which way the grain runs?

Carl Eyman
02-07-2005, 7:46 PM
I'll let others better informed than I answer that in detail, BUT The real answer is you can't until you try it. In carving one will be going along with the grain famously until, all of a sudden, the grain changes. My only advice is whether you are planing, carving, paring, or whatever, take small careful cuts until you find which way the grain is going, and then continue being careful.

Larry Copas
02-07-2005, 8:02 PM
Just watch for the "V's" in the wood.

Arrow in the pic indicates grain direction left to right. Hand plane (or any cutting edge) should travel in the same direction to avoid tear out.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=15888

Richard Wolf
02-07-2005, 8:28 PM
Pick up a piece of oak which has grain that is very easy to see. Once you start looking at grain it will be easier to see in other woods.

Richard

James Biddle
02-07-2005, 8:52 PM
I'm in trouble then. I have a hard time even on Oak until I see the tearout. By then, I can't stop the jointer or planer midway through, can I?

Bob Smalser
02-07-2005, 11:52 PM
I hope this doesn't sound like to dumb a question but........

I know about working with the grain and against the grain but how can you tell which way the grain runs?

Look at the side of the board for grain runout. If it's not obvious, then push a felt-tip pen into the wood and watch carefully the direction the ink flows.

Working "with" the grain is working downhill...and vice versa. On rougher boards you can stroke them like you would a cat and tell from the "against-the-grain" feel.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=7528&highlight=drawknife

Not a dumb question at all. Probably the single most important factor in woodworking and you'd be surprised how few read it well.

Mark Singer
02-08-2005, 1:29 AM
and of course if it looks bad turn it around technique:rolleyes: Some boards switch in the middle...it makes it hard to read or pick a direction...

Tom Hintz
02-08-2005, 4:13 AM
I also have a story (with photos...) on reading grain orientation at the link below that might be of help.
It takes a little practice and can be outright difficult to decipher on some woods but well worth the effort.

http://www.newwoodworker.com/readgrain.html

Colin Gilkes
02-08-2005, 7:42 PM
I don't feel ao dumb asking the question now - it seems I'm not the only one who has problems reading the grain. Some great articles and tips - thx, I knew it was worth signing onto this site.

Dale Thompson
02-08-2005, 9:11 PM
Colin,
You've gotten some good advice here already. :) Oak is a good practice wood for reading grain but it can also fool you on changing grain direction. Walnut is pretty straight grained and you may get away with machining in either direction. Watch out, though! It's expensive!! :eek:

When I have doubts, I "listen" to the wood. If it is starting to sound "stressed", I back off. If I forget, a good sized splinter in a finger or two soon gets my attention. :( As has been said, thin cuts are a great idea, especially if you are dealing with expensive wood or "finished" cuts.

Colin, most of the native woods in my part of the country grow VERY slowly - kind of like my expertise level. They fool us with their grains. :confused:

Exotic woods from the tropics seem to exhibit their grains much more generously. Tulipwood, Bloodwood, Wenge, Cocobola, Zebrawood, Kingwood, Padauk, etc. are examples. That is probably because they grow so much faster than our native species. Purpleheart is a bit more difficult to read but nobody in their right mind would use that stuff for anything but kindling wood anyway. That stuff will "chip" by wiping it in either direction with a cotton swab! ;) :cool:

Nice thread! :)

Dale T.