PDA

View Full Version : How would you finish this

Dennis Simmons
05-24-2011, 7:31 PM
I have posted on this candle stand before, I am still making these. This is Maple, I need to put it back, in the lathe, and make some fine adjustments on the ring slots. I want to know your thoughts on a color or finish. :) I use mineral oil and bees wax. Looking in a new direction, as the young folks say.:D

Jim Burr
05-24-2011, 7:40 PM
I'm leaning toward a Formby's Tung oil finish, maybe WoP?

John Keeton
05-24-2011, 8:28 PM
Dennis, color would add a lot to this piece, so you may want to consider a dye application. Lot's of choices there!

On the finish, Formby's Tung Oil finish contains no tung oil - it is merely thinned varnish. Getting a good finish on the rings, and the body without leaving a mess with them touching is challenging with a film finish. For that reason, you may want to consider an oil finish, or at least a "long oil" blend. If you use WOP, you might consider the satin, as it lays on better IMO. It can also be buffed to a very nice gloss. The last two pieces I posted were done with satin WOP and then buffed.

John Hart
05-24-2011, 8:49 PM
Yeah...that's a toughie. Antique Oil maybe...but still, same problem. 'Course if you wipe it down after 10 minutes for each coat, you might not get the sticking-together thing

Steve Schlumpf
05-24-2011, 9:36 PM
If it were mine - would probably dye it. Instead of a heavy color - like solid blue, red or black - I would give it a real light color such that it tinted the wood. Good luck with it! looking froward to seeing the finished piece!

Jon Prouty
05-24-2011, 10:34 PM
I would probably go with Danish Oil... my default. Looking forward to seeing it complete.

Karl Card
05-24-2011, 10:50 PM
My thoughts kind of go like this: there does appear to be some grain activity, is it like this on the side we cant see? If so my taste would lead me to danish oil or blo. This would pop the grain, just slightly darken it and make what color that is there look real nice...

Marty Eargle
05-25-2011, 5:42 AM
I'm going to agree with Steve and say that I think dying would look good. Something very subtle that still shows the grain. Then a few coats of WOP semi-gloss to give it a bit of a shine. Good figure!

Dennis Simmons
05-25-2011, 5:56 PM
I solved the issue of the parts sticking. I went with the WOP satin finish. It went a lot better than I thought it would. I decided not to dye or stain it, most all my turnings are dark, Some people like a light wood. Thanks for all your advise.

Dennis Ford
05-25-2011, 6:41 PM
If you are still making them, here is a thought;
1. tape the rings toward one end and use a fast drying sealer on the other end
2. move the rings to the sealed end to do the other end
3. dye the rings
4. use the WOP finish