PDA

View Full Version : PM extension bed

Richard Kennedy UK
05-24-2011, 5:50 PM
Can anyone suggest an easy way for one person to fix the short extension bed to a PM3520B? I tried for the first time today and had real difficulty lining it up and tightening it up so that the tailstock would slide smoothly on had a real struggle to do it. Its a heavy bit of kit but even when attached getting it just right seemed very tricky

Any advice welcomed.

Richard

Harvey M. Taylor
05-24-2011, 6:01 PM
TO START WITH, CENTER THE TAILSTOCK CLAMP[THE ROUND THINGY UNDER THE TAILSTOCK] AT THE JOINT OF THE EX. AND TS.
THEN SNUG UP THE THREE BOLTS HOLDING IT. FROM THERE IT IS A TAP TAP HERE,A TAP TAP THERE TILL YOU GET IT RIGHT. THEN TIGHTEN THEM UP. TROUBLESOM BUT WELL WORTH IT. HTH, mAX

Faust M. Ruggiero
05-24-2011, 6:03 PM
Richard,
If you are going to put it on and keep it on, I suggest installing the extension loosely. Then clamp a straight piece of hardwood to the top of the lathe ways and the extension ways. When both are dead level, tighten the bolts. If the ways move while tightening, you may need shims so the beds stay on the exact same plane. I didn't have much problem getting mine well aligned. I installed it for one particular project then removed it because it was in my way.
faust