PDA

View Full Version : Had a piece come off the lathe. Got lucky

Bill Wyko
05-24-2011, 3:21 PM
I was wearing my face shield, ear muffs and a respirator. A lot of stuff on the ol noggin. Fortunately it didn't hit me. What happened is a bad situation I need to address. My 14x42 Jet lathe will change its speed on its own. I didn't realize it had creeped up in speed. I was using a Cole chuck on the top 1/2 of a segmented vesseel I'm working on. It jammed it between the base of my tool rest and the chuck. It hit with such force that it stripped 2 screws out of the chuck and bent one of the wings of the Cole jaws. It also blew a chunk out of the turning as well. Luckily with segmented turnings I can turn off the damage and replace the rings. Not so lucky with the chuck. Both the chuck and the cole jaws are now useless. Even though nothing came at me, I'm still very thankful I had on all the right gear. 45 degrees closer and it would have been me. I normally wouldn't even mention something like this but in light of recent events I think it's important for us to keep it in the front of our minds. Now.....anyone want to do some trading for a new chuck?:o

John Keeton
05-24-2011, 3:44 PM
Bill, equipment can always be replaced, and turnings can always be redone - or trashed. But, one's health is not disposable. I am glad you were not injured, and it sounds like time to address the speed issue with the Jet. Have you determined what causes the creep?

Steve Schlumpf
05-24-2011, 3:59 PM
Bill - glad to hear you were not injured! I agree with John - find out what is going on with your lathe and fix it before doing any more turning! Let us know what caused the problem - if you would please!

Dick Wilson
05-24-2011, 4:06 PM
Bill, Glad you are not hurt. I have the Jet 1442 as well and my lathe did the same thing. If I recall there is a pin inside the speed lever that sets in a hole inside the headstock housing. There is a spring that is supposed to push the end of the handle out engaging the pin. The spring may be weak or the entire handle may have loosened just enough so it has moved on its post so pin does not engage. Hope this helps. Dick

Bob Bergstrom
05-24-2011, 4:07 PM
It would be interesting to hear how many segmented turnings blow up compared to those from a solid block of wood. I am sure good preparation of both is essential in preventing accidents of either.

John Hart
05-24-2011, 4:08 PM
Hey Bill...watch it man! You do too fine of work for us to lose you.

Bill Wyko
05-24-2011, 4:43 PM
Thanks Dick, I'll check that pin tonight. I called Jet, they said to check the pulley's for dust build up and spray some Wd40. I'll check everything for sure. I'll try to remember my camera tonight and I'll take pics of the cole jaw. It stripped the screws right out of the chuck. You can bet I won't even consider turning it on w/o the proper safety gear. Speaking of which, I'm making this staved vessel out of a wood called Tigrillo. If you guys ever turn this stuff, put on your respirator. When the dust got in the air, I almost couldn't breathe. Looks cool but it's dangerously toxic.
Here's a pic of the beginning of it. This is the bottom, the piece that came off was the top. I haven't taken pics of it yet.
http://pic80.picturetrail.com/VOL2109/11908737/23807663/396913716.jpg
http://pic80.picturetrail.com/VOL2109/11908737/23807663/396913712.jpg

Bill Wyko
05-24-2011, 5:10 PM
It would be interesting to hear how many segmented turnings blow up compared to those from a solid block of wood. I am sure good preparation of both is essential in preventing accidents of either.

I've blown up probably 1/2 dozen over the last 4 years or so. Doesn't happen very often but when it does, they usually take off across the shop any way they want to go.

Bill Wyko
05-24-2011, 5:14 PM
Thanks John. I'm really stepping the safety now. I look like an alien when suited up. In light of the recent events, I really have a whole new appreciation for safety. I have too many ideas that I want to put to use.

John Altberg
05-24-2011, 7:05 PM
My 1442 used to have this same problem. The previous owner and apparently changed the speed without diengaging the set pin on the handle. When I took it apart I found that the pin was totally bent over and did not engage into the index holes. Ordered a new part from Jet and fixed it myself. As an added bonus, I also noticed that the speed handle would turn further left than the 450 rpm index hole. I drilled another hole on the plate to "add" a new lower speed to the lathe!

Dick Wilson
05-24-2011, 7:28 PM
Thanks Dick, I'll check that pin tonight. I called Jet, they said to check the pulley's for dust build up and spray some Wd40. I'll check everything for sure. I'll try to remember my camera tonight and I'll take pics of the cole jaw. It stripped the screws right out of the chuck. You can bet I won't even consider turning it on w/o the proper safety gear. Speaking of which, I'm making this staved vessel out of a wood called Tigrillo. If you guys ever turn this stuff, put on your respirator. When the dust got in the air, I almost couldn't breathe. Looks cool but it's dangerously toxic.
Here's a pic of the beginning of it. This is the bottom, the piece that came off was the top. I haven't taken pics of it yet.
http://pic80.picturetrail.com/VOL2109/11908737/23807663/396913716.jpg
http://pic80.picturetrail.com/VOL2109/11908737/23807663/396913712.jpg

A couple of things. First, you have to take the pulley cover off often and blow out the inside of the headstock. The way the lathe is designed the motor takes dust puts in through the intake, around the motor and blows it into the large opening between the headstock and the pulley cover. Bad design. The second thing is I notice from your pictures that you have the jaws inside the bottom doing an expansion grip. My concern is the outward force placed on the staves might give the glue joints in the staves to give on a nasty catch. I notice you are using a three wheel steady....good man. That is going to be a pretty piece when finished.

Bill Wyko
05-24-2011, 8:55 PM
Thanks John. That's one thing I always wanted with my lathe. It doesn't run slow enough.

Dick Wilson
05-24-2011, 10:14 PM
My 1442 used to have this same problem. The previous owner and apparently changed the speed without diengaging the set pin on the handle. When I took it apart I found that the pin was totally bent over and did not engage into the index holes. Ordered a new part from Jet and fixed it myself. As an added bonus, I also noticed that the speed handle would turn further left than the 450 rpm index hole. I drilled another hole on the plate to "add" a new lower speed to the lathe!

Mine does the same thing. I just use a bunge cord