PDA

View Full Version : veneer in segmented bowls

Jim Colombo
05-24-2011, 2:15 PM
This will be the first time I will try using a thin veneer in a segmented bowl. I've already sliced it to the width I need and sandwiched it between cauls of MDF.
What should I know or do about handling, cutting and glueing the stuff?

Bill Wyko
05-24-2011, 3:08 PM
I actually glue up the woods above and below the veneer and cut it as one segment. With thin veneer you'll find it will want to curve up in the direction of the glue. Be sure to post pics. Good luck.

Quinn McCarthy
05-24-2011, 4:15 PM
I have had quite a bit of bad luck with the boughten black and white veneers. I had the black veneer fail 2-3 times on the same bowl and the layers I had glued on above that took off across the shop. I had to put the top of the bowl in a compression chuck and clean up the veneer layers. After that I just cut my own veneer from holly and jarrah and laminated them together. That worked real well. It ended up thicker than the boughten veneer but looked good in the bowl. Be careful wity it.

Quinn

Larry Marley
05-25-2011, 12:42 AM
I actually glue up the woods above and below the veneer and cut it as one segment. With thin veneer you'll find it will want to curve up in the direction of the glue. Be sure to post pics. Good luck. Bill gives good advise. just be careful when gluing the segments to keep the veneer in line.

Michelle Rich
05-25-2011, 7:24 AM
I have had veneer failure when it's horizontal, but none when vertical...good luck

Robert McGowen
05-25-2011, 10:28 AM
You can make a ring that is fairly thin to start with, glue it on, and just turn it down until it is as thin as you want it to be. You can glue on a thicker ring and just part off what you do not need. This guarantees that the thin ring will line up horizontally and seems easier for me to do than going the true veneer route.

Jim Colombo
05-25-2011, 7:25 PM
I like your thinking Robert. Too bad I already bought the thin stuff.

Jim

Robert McGowen
05-25-2011, 10:49 PM
I like your thinking Robert. Too bad I already bought the thin stuff.
Jim

Over the years you have probably purchased a bunch of tools that you don't use also, so just put the veneer in a corner and keep going....... :D