PDA

View Full Version : Spalted Black Ash HF

Cory Norgart
05-24-2011, 1:55 PM
195655195654195653195652195651195650This is a yellow spalted Black Ash Burl. I found it pretty hard to work with due to me being a greenhorne and the wood was pretty soft too:) A member of our club recomended Min-wax wood hardener. Seeing as how stabilizing was out of the picture, I bought some. I soaked it, turned a little, soaked it some more, turned a little, and so on. It seemed to keep the wood pretty stable through the process, a little more time consuming than usual, but if its one thing Ive learned since turning, patience is everything. This peice is going to our club for a bowl challenge we have going on in which we will palce our art in businesses throughout our local community. I am making a Black Walnut lid with a finial top on it. Tonight will be my 2nd attempt at it, the first one broke on me when I was just about done, tried gluing it, but it was just too noticable. Once again, due to my green knowledge of turning. Thanks, Cory.
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/images/misc/pencil.png

Russell Eaton
05-24-2011, 2:00 PM
Cory that is a awesome form and piece of wood. Nice job and good luck with the contest.

John Keeton
05-24-2011, 3:08 PM
Nice burl, Cory, and a right good job at the hollow form. I look forward to seeing the form with the lid/finial. A side profile shot would be good.

Steve Schlumpf
05-24-2011, 4:04 PM
Cory - you picked a difficult shape to hollow but it looks like you did quite well! Judging by the coloring in the wood - looks like you had a lot of punky areas to contend with - so you did pretty good to get this turned without a lot of tearout! Looking forward to seeing the completed piece!

John Hart
05-24-2011, 4:05 PM
Yep, this will be cool with the walnut hat. Good luck in the challenge. You've done very well with such a punky piece. :)

David E Keller
05-24-2011, 6:25 PM
Gorgeous stuff, Cory. How big is it? That's a tough shape to hollow because of the flattish shoulder area, but it looks like you've done a nice job with it. I've had decent luck using shellac for stiffening up punky wood as you described... Probably a little cheaper than the wood hardener but may not be as effective. Thanks for sharing.

Michael James
05-24-2011, 7:26 PM
Nice job on the HF and what a beautiful chunk of wood! +1 on success with that form - I have more than I in the whoooooops box due to that particular shoulder shape. Best of luck with the rest.
mj

charlie knighton
05-24-2011, 8:55 PM
very nice form and plus one on dealing with punky wood

Cory Norgart
05-25-2011, 9:20 AM
Gorgeous stuff, Cory. How big is it? That's a tough shape to hollow because of the flattish shoulder area, but it looks like you've done a nice job with it. I've had decent luck using shellac for stiffening up punky wood as you described... Probably a little cheaper than the wood hardener but may not be as effective. Thanks for sharing.

Keller, it is 10 1/2 diameter x 5 1/2 inches deep. I will keep shellac in mind. That other stuff cost around $9 for a small can and I used over half of it for this one turning.

Jim Burr
05-25-2011, 11:07 AM
Good looking chunk of wood Cory, Nice work on the form...it's not easy!