PDA

View Full Version : Book Gloat

Alan Turner
02-07-2005, 3:53 PM
A new book just arrived, and it comes with a bit of a story. I have for a long time heard of Albert Sack’s “The New Fine Points of Furniture” (1993), and finally decided to try to find a copy. I knew from reading that it was out of print. Found it on Amazon, as a used book. 3 copies were listed – one at $50; 2 @ $125. Ordered the $50 version, and was almost immeidately advised that this was a listing error, and that seller was offering his 1950 version, which he sent me anyway at a greatly reduced price.

Back to the web, and a search, and stumbled across:

http://furniturelibrary.com/

Well, took a chance and ordered it. $50. Arrived today, total cost $53.50 (incl. shipping) and it is brand new; not used at all. $50 was the original cover price.

I have posted this in the knuckle dragger forum because absent a CNC and tons of programming time, this stuff is definitely for the skilled hand toolers.

In the event that any of you have an interest in this book, this was an excellent seller, and a great price. Can't wait for a chance to build every single piece shown. :)

Alan

Dave Anderson NH
02-07-2005, 4:30 PM
There is enuf furniture in that book to keep you building for several lifetimes. sometime I hide the thing so Sue doesn't get any more ideas. It's one of her favorites for assigning me projects.

Alan Turner
02-07-2005, 4:54 PM
If my sklls were tripled, and I were but 10 years old, I would die before finishing chapter one's offerings.
But, I do appreciate the family tip, and rest assured that my bride will not see this book, ever.
Alan

Steve Wargo
02-08-2005, 9:15 AM
Alan,
That is without doubt one of the most interesting books I've ever read. There is so much to try to grasp from it. Congrats on the score.