PDA

View Full Version : 12"-13" planer suggestions

Jim Colombo
05-24-2011, 9:00 AM
I'm space & budget limited and in the market for a bench top planer in the $400 price range. I've been looking at the Ridgid and DeWalt models but I've seen some threads with good words about the Craftsman stuff.
I'm a hobbyist so I don't need commercial grade equipment but I still want the best quality I can get.
I'd appreciate your opinions and comments.

Cary Falk
05-24-2011, 9:19 AM
If I was buying a lunchbox today I would buy teh Ridgid. It gets favorable remarks from it's owners and is reasonably priced.

Jerome Hanby
05-24-2011, 9:51 AM
If I was buying a lunchbox today I would buy teh Ridgid. It gets favorable remarks from it's owners and is reasonably priced.
I've got the Ridgid and it's done all I've asked of it...

Timothy Wolf
05-24-2011, 9:57 AM
The Ridgid is very well priced and gets pretty solid reviews from Woodworking magazines. I haven't used mine alot but it does a very nice job in my opinion. Depending on where you are you might check craigslist first, I got mine new in box for $200 from someone who bought it but never used it. If you buy it new the warranty can't really be beat. BTW I would steer clear of the Craftsman, I saw several bad reviews from the same woodworking magazines.

Gene Howe
05-24-2011, 9:57 AM
I just replaced a 12" Delta with a 13" Delta 22-590.
Watch for sales. I got mine for $430 + free shipping through Amazon.
I'm very happy with it.

John TenEyck
05-24-2011, 10:47 AM
It's twice the price and only 10-1/4" wide, but if you can find a used Inca jointer/planer you'll have a very high quality single machine that joints and planes 10-1/4". I mention this option since you said space is at a premium. I don't know what jointer you have, but you might be able to sell it to finance part of the Inca. Change over time between jointing/planing is less than 1 minute. I've had one for 25 years and it is a terrific machine. The machine I have, with a belt drive, separate motor, only weighs around 70 lbs. It's not as portable as a lunchbox planer, but still easily moved, and a lot quieter when it runs. Parts are still available, although I've only ever needed one belt in all those years. And if you ever want to get rid of it, you can sell it for what you paid for it, unlike a lunchbox. Something to consider.

lamar bailey
05-24-2011, 11:36 AM
I have the older Ridgid and have never had a single problem with it in the 10 years I have had it. If I were buying again today it would be between the Ridgid and the Steel City.

Gene Waara
05-24-2011, 12:13 PM
Jim, you'll likely get suggestions for every piece of equipment that exists. I researched this issue for quite some time and bought a Dewalt 735. It was top rated in a test by Wood Magazine and is generally reviewed favorably. I bought it from another hobbyist who had to quit the hobby due to failing eyesite. It was lightly used with a Dewalt cart, extra set of blades and Wixey height gage for $400. You don't show a location so I'm not sure if CL is an option but after deciding what you want you may want to look for a used model.

Bobby O'Neal
05-24-2011, 6:42 PM
Bought my DW735 used with a stand and extra blades on CL for $375. Its the only planer I've ever used but I really can't imagine a lunchbox doing a better job than this. Very pleased.

jonathan eagle
05-24-2011, 8:34 PM
I have a delta 12". Had it for around 10 years and it works gret. If I had to get one now, I'd get a dw735, so that eventually I could get a spiral cutter head.
Jonathan

Doug Palmer
05-24-2011, 9:27 PM
Jim,

Craftsman does make a couple of nice planers.They are not the cheaper units you will find in the stores (they are special order) and they do not sell in $400 range. The cheaper Craftmans do not compare to the Rigid at the same price, IMO. At the price level you have mentioned I would recommend the Rigid over the Craftsman. The Rigid at half the price is a better machine. I own a Craftsman and it is nice, but way overpriced.

Chad Bender
05-24-2011, 11:54 PM
+1 on the DW735. Got mine used for $350. (Then I went and added the stand and tables, for another $150, but I'm sure cheaper options could be devised.) I've had no complaints, but also don't have any thing else to compare with.

John Kali
05-25-2011, 4:07 PM
I am another happy DW735 user. I got mine from a fellow SMC member for $300.

Joe Angrisani
05-25-2011, 4:12 PM
I'm...budget limited....

"Budget limited" = Craigslist + patience, Jim. Unless you're in a small town with no big town for hours, you should have no trouble finding a very nice $200-250 planer.

Mike Archambeau
05-25-2011, 8:03 PM
Jim;

Have you considered the Delta 13 inch planer listed in the SMC classified ads? The seller is in MD. That is a great machine at a great price. These were about $1200 when new way back in the late 1980's when I bought mine. That was real money back then, but this is a serious tool. Here is the link: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?166408-Invicta-Delta-Planer-22-650-RC-33

I still use mine and it works like a champ. The infeed and outfeed tables can be rotated down when you want to minimize the footprint. Put it on casters and you can slide it under a bench when not in use. This would give you WAY MORE utility than a lunchbox planer IMHO.

Good luck with your purchase.

Bill Huber
05-26-2011, 10:10 AM
I have the Ridgid 4330 and am very happy with it, I have also had the 1300 which was also very good, in fact I really didn't see that much difference in the cut.

The 4330 does not have a head lock and this has been the only problem I have had, it would drift down when I was using it. I found the problem with the chain idler, adjusted it and is has not given me any problems after that. It is nice not to have to worry about the lock, the 1300 you had to lock the head.

The blades are very easy to change out and are double sided. It has good preset stops, the dust collection is ok but it could be better. You do have to remember I am just using a shop vac for DC.

I have mine on a pull out stand I made so it will swing down and I can put it under the bench.

Timothy Wolf
05-27-2011, 9:05 AM
I just saw a Delta 13" Planer on craigslist in Denver for $50. Where was that deal when I was looking for one?