PDA

View Full Version : Gyph and swash fonts in Corel Draw

George Beck
05-24-2011, 8:18 AM
Hi all

I have a client who wants to use Bickham Script Pro for an engraving. I own this font but it (like many Adobe fonts) contains special flourishes and characters as gyphs. I can access these gyphs in Pages and copy them to a pdf, but I cannot or do not know how to access them in Corel Draw X3. When I copy and paste, I either get the standard font or a rectangle. Is there a way to do this?

I appreciate the help.

George

Roy Nicholson
05-24-2011, 8:31 AM
George

Try asking over at the Corel Forum.

http://coreldraw.com/forums/

Regards

Roy N.

Roy Nicholson
05-24-2011, 8:44 AM
George

That's not the way the script looks in the font that I'm looking at.

My laptop won't let me attach a graphic I think it's having a senior moment

Regards

Roy N.

Dan Hintz
05-24-2011, 8:45 AM
You mean glyphs, I believe... cut and paste relies on the Windows clipboard, and I've found it to be only as good as the programs that implement its functionality. Have you tried typing the text in directly in Corel? If it's not part of the standard text of the font, can you insert it as a special character?

Mike Null
05-24-2011, 9:41 AM
Copy it from the PDF then go to the edit menu in Corel and select "paste special" then select rich text then click ok.

Whenever you're having a tough time with the paste function try "paste special". I find that it usually works.

George Beck
05-24-2011, 11:15 AM
Well I figured out a way to do it. It is a pain but opens all kinds of possibilities with Open Type fonts and fonts with many hidden features like Bickman Script Pro. The pasting from PDF did not work. Here is what I did: I typed the name in Pages (Apple), could also be INDesign or Illustrator, any program that lets me access the additional characters or glyphs. I then converted my Pages document to a Rich text document which retains most of the formatting. Then I used paste special to paste the Rich text document into Corel. I then copied the text and manually spaced it. I then grouped it all together and converted it to curves. Here is a jpeg of the cdr file. I also decided that when a customer says they are an artist or graphic designer the price doubles!

George Beck
05-24-2011, 12:58 PM
A follow up post as I think I have this figured out. I mention this because sometimes we get asked for fonts and we can't find it. Sometimes it is there just not easily accessible. A new world for me anyway. Believe it or not all three of these are the same font.

Mike Null
05-24-2011, 1:02 PM
George

You are absolutely right of the designer strategy--they're are right up there with the chairman of a women's group for wasting your time.

The copy from PDF worked for me on your file--maybe it's X5.

George Beck
05-24-2011, 1:43 PM
Mike

A strange irony. I uninstalled the Bickman font and then clipboard will copy from the pdf. If the font is installed it defaults to the font. I have written Corel to see what they say about it. Right now I have a designer, an artist and a church fellowship group! They are causing me to say many, many bad words. It is just frustrating. I have made this beautiful box in about 18 hours and have spent 6 hours haggling over design. Here is the unfinished box.

Mike Null
05-24-2011, 2:26 PM
George

You are realizing that this has become unprofitable. You didn't mention groups at first--when dealing with a group you must tell them what they can have. If that doesn't sit well have the name of your competitor handy.

Mike Chance in Iowa
05-24-2011, 4:02 PM
You can also export via Illustrator into a DWG or DXF file and under the Options field, select Outline Text. This will create an outline of the text you need and you'll be able to paste it into your Corel as curves. I don't have the mac handy to look at Pages, but if you can export and save text as curves when you create the PDF, that will also make it easy to bypass Corel's limitations.