PDA

View Full Version : Help picking a new jointer

Jefferey Scott
05-24-2011, 7:38 AM
I'm looking at two models currently. A Grizzly G0490 Parallelogram and the G0656. What advantages does the 0490 have over the 0656? I guess I'm not understanding the whole "parallelogram" thing over traditional dovetailed beds? There is about a $150 difference between the two. Which should I consider and why?

Thanks Jeff

david brum
05-24-2011, 9:25 AM
That's a good question. I have a Shop Fox W1741, which is identical to the G0490. I got it when I upgraded from a tradional 6" jointer. My reasoning for getting a parallelogram design was that I could mechanically fine tune the beds without using shims, etc. My old jointer required hours of shimming in order to function properly. The parallelogram design seemed like a good way to avoid that hassle again. Luckily, it came perfectly adjusted and hasn't needed any fine tuning in several years, so I haven't used that feature. It's there though.

The beds are also longer on these jointers, as well as being better supported. If you look at the base on both designs, you'll see that the base on the parallelogram design is much wider, with more of the bed supported. Both good things.

I also like the height adjustment for the infeed bed. The beds have internal springs which act as counterweights, so the adjustment is really easy. Just a nice design.

I've been very pleased with my jointer. If I could do it again, I would buy the same unit, except with a spiral cutter head (which I have on order right now).

Edit: I just finished making door stiles for full size doors. The stiles were made of 8' lumber, which I was able to flatten to within a few thousandths on the jointer. I was really impressed that the boards came out that straight.

Rick Bunt
05-24-2011, 10:02 AM
Check out this thread (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?164576-Which-Grizzly-jointer-G0656PX-or-G0490X) on 490 vs 656.

Jefferey Scott
05-24-2011, 12:56 PM
Thanks David for your insight and Rick for the informative link. I am leaning towards the G0490 at the present due to what I've learned about parallelogram beds. I would love to hear any owners of either machine in regards to what you like or dislike about your machines. I've only recently bought a G0453P planer and like it very much, this being my first Grizzly purchase.

Thanks,
Jeff

michael case
05-24-2011, 3:01 PM
Jefferey,
About a year and half ago I wanted to upgrade form a 6" dovetail Delta to an 8" paralellogram. The reason I wanted the Parallel was that it can be dialed in true and had a much longer infeed table than the dovetail. Also Dovetails can be tricky. I believe General is the only manufacturer that mills the beds after they are mounted on the ways. This ensures they are parallel to each other. Delta and Powermatic don't do this and you end up shimming or grinding the ways to true the machine. I ended grinding the ways on my 6" delta and never wanted to do that again. Ok that's why I went with a parallelogram. Here's why I bought the Grizzly. I never thought I would buy a Grizzly as I always tend to buy better machines. Originally I was going to buy a Powermatic jointer. But, Powermatic moved to China and their machines took a BIG hit in quality. The Delta jointers also got moved to China. So the choices became European-made or General (neither of which I could afford) or Chinese. So I started to seriously consider the Griz G0490. It still took a lot of convincing but it was such a big hit that I was finally swayed. I read post after post from people that loved it. So I ordered it and have been very happy with it ever since. I posted great reviews of it like everyone else. But, in short the tables were dead flat. It dialed in true (Yes I did have to adjust it). It has PLENTY of power. The fence was dead true. The base was heavy and the built-in roller works great. Also the fit and finish were very nice, much better than I expected. Given the price and the quality I can certainly recommend this machine to you. P.S Grizzly was very helpful with any questions I had.

David Kumm
05-24-2011, 3:35 PM
A flat and true fence is a big deal. The bigger the fence the better. In the old days a wedgebed type jointer had multiple adjustments in the ways and the table themselves were removable and shimmable ( probably not a word). Now most of that adjustment ability is not available so the parallelogram has less downside risk. An alternative is a used delta dj20 from Taiwan generally. Good machine that holds it's value well. How well the castings and table are made is a crap shoot now days so it helps to have some adjustability. Get the longest tables your space can handle and as much width as you can fit and afford. I went from a 6 to an 8 to a 12 to a 16 over the years. Not the most efficient way to buy. I would pay more for a machine I can inspect with a straightedge than one unseen, particularly if wedge design. The old powermatics from 60's to 80's were good as well. Dave

Craig Wahl
05-24-2011, 3:47 PM
I would recomend checking out the Shop Fox W1741. They were offering a really great price of $900 on Amazon a while back. Its an identical machine to the Grizzly except it has a 3 hp motor and a two year warranty. I just checked Amazon and their prices went up to their normal price of $1,100 (with free shipping), but you still may save a little over the identical Grizzly machine and get a larger motor and an additional year of warranty protection.

Craig Wahl
05-24-2011, 3:53 PM
I just checked Grizzly's website and it looks like they bumped the motor size up to a 3 hp so that's a wash, but you would get an additional year warranty with the Shop Fox. I guess both look like about the same deal. But check out this deal: http://cgi.ebay.com/Shop-Fox-W1741-8-Parallelogram-Jointer-/360361175198?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item53e733289e
Fastest fingers get it.... $900 & free shipping on a W1741.

glenn bradley
05-24-2011, 4:40 PM
This model was not available when I got my G0490X but, I too had done the DT-way-Watusi with shim stock, etc. and swore never again. In practice, once aligned, you would probably never need to re-align the beds in your lifetime barring unforeseen circumstances.

The slightly shorter infeed and lack of a magnetic switch isn't a deal-breaker for me either but it would account for some reduction in price. Either way I would get a spiral head. Once I had one on the jointer I got one on my planer as well. I'll never go back without a fight ;-)

Jefferey Scott
05-25-2011, 6:58 AM
@ Craig: the Shop Fox looks like a good deal. I am lucky enough to live only 3 hours away from grizzly though and I picked up my planer from their warehouse which saved me the shipping anxiety so I would be inclined to do so again with the jointer. Plus it's a very cool place to visit!

@ Glenn: I would agree the parallelogram 0490 looks like the way to go at this point.

@ Michael and David: Thanks for you insight and advice!

Jeff