PDA

View Full Version : Laser engraving material help

Dean Belk
05-23-2011, 8:17 PM
I have a client that wants a shape cut out and engraved with some wording and numbers so they can use in a raffle---they want to be able to break it in two pieces so the number will be on both parts for the drawing----we can waterjet cut the material and laser engrave or if possible laser engrave and cut the product---i would like to use the laser for both and use some sort of plastic---any suggestions out there?

Thanks
dean

Dan Hintz
05-23-2011, 8:20 PM
Find a suitably thick (thin?) plastic, engrave, vector cut, as needed. Make a vector cut down the middle that doesn't quiiiiite go all of the way through... snap in half come drawing time.

Dee Gallo
05-23-2011, 9:19 PM
If plastic is not absolutely needed, try mat board - it cuts and engraves beautifully and you can cut a perforated middle line which will separate easily. It's thick enough to be substantial, cheap enough to be throwaway and comes in lots of colors.

Dean Belk
05-24-2011, 8:43 AM
Not familiar with mat board---is it just a generic product--- where do i purchase it and what is its trade name----thanks

Dan Hintz
05-24-2011, 8:57 AM
Any framing shop will have it... even try Michael's, AC Moore, etc.

Jeff Belany
05-24-2011, 12:20 PM
IMHO you really don't need the thickness of matboard. Stop at your local Print Shop and see what they have in cover stock. A 80# duplex cover (color on one side, white on the other) will be plenty heavy for a ticket. For very little I would assume they would cut it to a size that will fit your laser. These come in a wide range of colors. Cuts and perforates easily.

Jeff in northern Wisconsin

Amy Shelton
05-24-2011, 12:34 PM
Good suggestions so far... I'll add another possibility: Poster board engraves very nicely (even photos). I use black matte posterboard from Walmart (in school supplies section), with a white core; other colors work well, just make sure there's a white core in the middle.