PDA

View Full Version : Spruce burl hollow form

Marc Himes
05-23-2011, 8:15 PM
I won a spruce burl in a raffle at our AAW chapter meeting this month and found the ants had been busy under the bark. I ended up turning away more than I wish I had so I colored it blue first then lightly with red orange. The shape is a little squat but I thought the patterns were interesting. It is 7 1/2 X 5" with one coat of WOP. Comments and critiques are welcome.

Marc Himes 195555195556195557

Marty Eargle
05-23-2011, 8:24 PM
Definitely some interesting grains going on there. The form does leave a little to be desired but I can understand why you wouldn't want to cut anymore of that pattern. I do feel that it is missing something with the finish, like a few more coats of poly and a good buffing. There is too much funkiness going on with that wood for it not to pop.

Steve Schlumpf
05-23-2011, 8:38 PM
Marc - very interesting form and not quite sure how to classify it! Reminds me of a wasp nest or something and has a very organic feel to it! Your color combination this time around sure gives the form a sort of metal patina look! Actually - a very cool effect! Because of the metal-like qualities of the form, I would leave the finish as is!

Pretty cool stuff Marc! Thanks for sharing!

David E Keller
05-23-2011, 8:48 PM
Very interesting... I like the form as it reminds me of pottery. The coloring is interesting, but I really like the looks of spruce burl au natural. Thanks for sharing.

Bob Bergstrom
05-23-2011, 10:24 PM
Great colors and so much going on. It leads the imagination off in many directions. Fun piece to explore. Thanks for sharing.

Marc Himes
05-23-2011, 10:35 PM
Thanks for the comments. I will be applying a couple more coats of satin WOP to the smooth surfaces but the rest I left kind of rough and will be left as is. I would have also liked it without the color and with less of the pattern turned away but I also like color. I used to do some pottery years ago, Dave and still have my old wheel and Kiln. I will bring it back to the club for show and tell, Steve. Thanks again for the comments and for looking.

Marc Himes

Baxter Smith
05-23-2011, 11:26 PM
Very out of the ordinary! It has a lot of features to study.