PDA

View Full Version : Flush Planers

Matt Slayen
02-07-2005, 2:31 PM
Hi All-
Anyone here have any experience with either the Virutex lipping planer or the Lamello Cantex?

Unfortunately I cant wait until the Vegas show to try them out in person..

Thanks.

Jamie Buxton
02-07-2005, 8:17 PM
There's been some conversation about them on the Felder Owners Group forum.

Steve Clardy
02-08-2005, 9:58 AM
I bought a router base from Pat Warner that does the same thing. Installed a 1 1/4" flat bottom bit. Installed it on one of my pc7537 routers. About 100.00 total cost.
Does the same job as a 500.00 lipping planer.
Steve

Matt Slayen
02-08-2005, 11:53 AM
Thanks
I actually built my own sub base for a Laminate trimmer that i used for a while.
It just wasn't accurate enough, I still had a decent amount of sanding to perfect the flush trim.

Jamie Buxton
02-08-2005, 1:19 PM
Argh. The Moderator has removed my direct link to the Felder Owners Group forum. That's the rules on SMC, but I certainly find it counterproductive in this kind of situation.

So, to find the FOG without a direct link, go to Yahoo. Click on Groups, and then search the Groups area with the key word "Felder".

markus shaffer
02-08-2005, 1:39 PM
Matt,

I have a lipping planer and did a review of it. Link below.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=3669

Hope it helps some. if you have any other questions, feel free to email me...

-Markus

Mark J Bachler
02-09-2005, 9:12 AM
I own the Virutex and have used the Hoffman. They are great tools. I haven’t used the Lamello Cantex yet but I would think it also is a quality product. I agree with Markus in his review that you have to be careful when setting them up & operating them. There IS such a thing as too close! I never use my dust collection on mine just because it seams to throw it off balance. I also Dry Coat the bottom so it slides real smooth. They are spendy but will save you allot of time.

Richard McComas
02-09-2005, 3:11 PM
I've had the Lamellow lipping planer for a couple of years now. It has earned a place in my shop as one of those tools that saves so much time that I would buy it again at any price, I just could not go with out one now that I know what a time saver they are.

When banding shelves I cut my banding 1/16 to 1/8 proud on each side attach it and run the lipping planer down the edges. It is very accurate and only takes seconds to run the length of 8 foot stock and your done, no sanding required.

I have not use any of the other machines so I can't compare.

Matt Slayen
02-09-2005, 5:44 PM
Thanks for the responses.
My question for the Hoffmann and Virutex owners:
Do you ever have any isses with tear-out?
I know the Lamello shear cuts, so tear-out is minimal....

Anyone had to have thier planers repaired at all?

Richard McComas
02-10-2005, 5:52 AM
I have had no tear out problems or had to have any repairs with the Lamellow.