PDA

View Full Version : Lathe Dust Collection Hood (6" opening Shaped as a Funnel)

Joe Vincent 63
05-23-2011, 11:28 AM
Hi All,

I am working on setting up dust collection for my turning. I have a dust hood that is shaped like a funnel, but with a 5" opening, which does a nice job. I am looking for the same thing, but with a 6" opening. I have a square hood with a 6" opening, but it doesn't work nearly as well due to the smooth shape of the funnel. Oneida makes the 5" funnel, and used to make the 6", but they no longer do (the 5" they do). I tried using just the end of the hose, but it wasn't very effective.

My set up includes an older oneida 2hp cyclone system. It has 1040CFM at the outlet, and I am only a short distance away using 6" clear flexhose for my connection to the lathe.

Thanks!

Joe

Michael Mills
05-23-2011, 11:42 AM
If you have the wood around, why not just chuck up a piece and turn your funnel? You can make it any diameter you wish.
Or turn an adapter to go from the 5" funnel you have and like to the 6" hose.

Jeff Nicol
05-23-2011, 12:24 PM
You can get some aluminum flashing and roll up a simple cone and cut it off where who need it to fit the 6" hose. You coul lay out a pattern and make a funnel, I was a sheetmetal worker for 25+ years and they are pretty easy to do. Here is a link on how to do it: http://www.anvilfire.com/21centbs/math/cones1.htm

Have fun,

Jeff

Jim Heikes
05-23-2011, 12:43 PM

I use one of these from Woodcraft

Ed Morgano
05-23-2011, 2:18 PM
This is what I did on my home made lathe. It travels with the tool rest.

Bill Bulloch
05-23-2011, 2:31 PM
I have a hood like Jim has, but on a homemade stand. It didn't work. The suction was not strong enough to grab the shavings and the hood was too far away to get the dust. A real waste of time and money. I now use an overhead fan that blow straight down on the wood piece pushing the shavings and dust to the ground. It works much better and every-now-and-then, I'll sweep up the floor.

Roger Chandler
05-23-2011, 2:42 PM
My setup uses the big gulp hood and it does a great job of collecting the dust. Shavings will also go into it when the curlees fly in its direction. I have mine mounted on a roller stand [minus the roller] with a tongue and groove sliding base to move it in and out as needed. I really does a great job.

Joe Vincent 63
05-23-2011, 11:11 PM
Thanks for the suggestions. I did look at the "big gulp", but that only allows a 4" hose connection versus the 6" I am looking for.

Curt Fuller
05-24-2011, 12:03 AM
I use some heat duct pieces from Home Depot. I'm not sure what they're actually called but they're the piece that comes through the floor and the register cover sits on. Mine are 5" but they also had them in 6". And they have adapters in various sizes, probably one that is somewhat cone shaped that goes from 6" to 8 or 9".